No announcement yet.

Everything 2018 Playoffs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm not sure that we can necessarily guess how good the Celtics would have been without those injuries. Next year we'll be able to witness it ourselves. I think they were actually better off with those injuries this year, but we'll see how they figure out the minutes for next year and how things mesh with Irving and Hayward, who are both alpha dogs.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Comment

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post
      What do you mean, you're against parity? Could you elaborate on that?
      Like, you prefer to see 4 straight Cavs/Warriors finals?
      I like dynasties. I like seeing top caliber teams. I like seeing bad teams become great teams. I hate seeing every team hover around .500. That to me is more boring than Cavs/Warriors every year.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
        I like dynasties. I like seeing top caliber teams. I like seeing bad teams become great teams. I hate seeing every team hover around .500. That to me is more boring than Cavs/Warriors every year.
        Fair enough. Look at the NHL though. It's not that everybody's sitting at .500 -- it's that there's at least some hope for it to be a different team from one year to the next. You have hope that some day the chips may fall your way. Unlike this league of futility. Give me some parity any day. ... That said, our demise has had much more to do with one man (Lebronto) than anything else.

Comment

Fair enough. Look at the NHL though. It's not that everybody's sitting at .500 -- it's that there's at least some hope for it to be a different team from one year to the next. You have hope that some day the chips may fall your way. Unlike this league of futility. Give me some parity any day. ... That said, our demise has had much more to do with one man (Lebronto) than anything else.
          Yeah but the NHL has different issues. The NBA is the best league for off season news. We see big names getting moved all the time. If the NBA had a hard cap it would get so boring. The guys that get drafted will never move teams. The only way to survive is to draft well. And hope and pray your guys will work out. I would never want an expansion team to win the chip in year one. That's not a good story.. that's a terrible story for the league. It's actually quite embarrassing and comical.

I like seeing the best of the best in the finals. We're living in an era where we have a generational talent play for one team in one conference. And a team that's arguably better than any other team that's ever been put together in another conference. It's the cycle we're in though.

Eventually Lebron will get older and become slower (father time will get everyone). And the Warriors tax bill will be so high that even a guy like Jeff Bezos or Bill Gates would blush from it.

Comment

Nhl = too much parity. The Vegas thing is a joke. The cores all stay the same and it's a random roll of the dice every playoffs

NBA = too little parity. It's also a joke that we're all just playing exhibition games until curry and kd play against LeBron every June

I'd like somewhere in between
            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
              Yeah but the NHL has different issues. The NBA is the best league for off season news. We see big names getting moved all the time. If the NBA had a hard cap it would get so boring. The guys that get drafted will never move teams. The only way to survive is to draft well. And hope and pray your guys will work out. I would never want an expansion team to win the chip in year one. That's not a good story.. that's a terrible story for the league. It's actually quite embarrassing and comical.

I like seeing the best of the best in the finals. We're living in an era where we have a generational talent play for one team in one conference. And a team that's arguably better than any other team that's ever been put together in another conference. It's the cycle we're in though.

Eventually Lebron will get older and become slower (father time will get everyone). And the Warriors tax bill will be so high that even a guy like Jeff Bezos or Bill Gates would blush from it.
              Er, why would a hard cap decrease player movement? Soft caps actually decrease player movement, especially with stuff like Bird Rights incentivizing a player to stay where they are. The NHL has extremely restrictive restricted free agency (with sliding timelines, draft pick compensation, and long match times) - and a no offer sheet culture that suppresses that market. But the cap system they have in place actually means teams would be more able to poach RFAs, not less, were they so inclined.

The Golden Knights are a symptom of the sport (and the expansion rules), not the hard cap. And are also a little bit of voodoo as well.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                The Raptors after the 13-14 season had every reason to keep going with their good team to see if it could become great. They got to very, very good. But their ceiling is becoming more and more apparent as their window shortens. Lots of teams will be in that window where they try to go from good to great. Falling short doesn't mean they made the wrong choice. And bailing to rebuild doesn't mean that teams should always do so - just that there are times when teams should, and the Raptors should be transitioning into a rebuild over the course of the next 1-2 off-seasons unless they happen upon a miraculous acquisition (such as winning the Kawhi sweepstakes).
                This is essentially my stance.

Barring some miracle trade that elevates us to another level (i.e. acquiring a superstar like Kawhi) a rebuild is the intelligent course of action (we disagree somewhat on how aggressive we should be with that, but that's for another time).

What we can't do is keep running it back forever and then end up like Atlanta with our dick in our hands while we lose our core players for nothing and never get anywhere in the playoffs.

Comment

• Hard cap in the NBA with no max contracts would solve the parity issues.

The league will never do that though. It's only in the interest of the owners (since they would end up paying less salary probably) and star players (who would get mega-deals). Role players and fringe players would get absolutely screwed financially. For the league itself, I think it actually kind of thrives off having these dominant teams. Although they can't let it get to the point where people think the team basically cannot be beaten and has no rival (that is where the Warriors are going right now).

Nothing wrong with having stacked teams, but even a lack of competition at the top (which is what we're seeing with the Warriors blowing away Cleveland this year and last) is what could actually hurt them.

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
                    Hard cap in the NBA with no max contracts would solve the parity issues.

The league will never do that though. It's only in the interest of the owners (since they would end up paying less salary probably) and star players (who would get mega-deals). Role players and fringe players would get absolutely screwed financially. For the league itself, I think it actually kind of thrives off having these dominant teams. Although they can't let it get to the point where people think the team basically cannot be beaten and has no rival (that is where the Warriors are going right now).

Nothing wrong with having stacked teams, but even a lack of competition at the top (which is what we're seeing with the Warriors blowing away Cleveland this year and last) is what could actually hurt them.
                    The owners would pay an identical amount of salary compared to now. Hard cap vs soft has no impact on that at all.

The role players is why it will likely never happen. It hurts them, even if it's technically more fair for the real drivers of the league to be paid more, and interchangeable role players less. And role players form 90% of the union.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• keonclark wrote: View Post
                      nhl = too much parity. The vegas thing is a joke. The cores all stay the same and it's a random roll of the dice every playoffs

nba = too little parity. It's also a joke that we're all just playing exhibition games until curry and kd play against lebron every june

i'd like somewhere in between
                      nfl
                      your pal,
                      ebrian

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                        Nhl = too much parity. The Vegas thing is a joke. The cores all stay the same and it's a random roll of the dice every playoffs

NBA = too little parity. It's also a joke that we're all just playing exhibition games until curry and kd play against LeBron every June

I'd like somewhere in between
                        Random roll of the dice every playoffs in the NHL?

The last 9 NHL champions:
                        PIT
                        PIT
                        CHI
                        LAK
                        CHI
                        LAK
                        BOS
                        CHI
                        PIT

Just because they don't have the same two teams facing off for 4 straight seasons, doesn't mean they don't have dynasties. It's just incredibly hard to repeat.

As for the cores staying the same, the NHL absolutely has issues with their CBA that restricts player movement somewhat. I don't think any of those mechanics are needed in the NBA to generate parity - except for the hard cap.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Ouch.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                            The owners would pay an identical amount of salary compared to now. Hard cap vs soft has no impact on that at all.

The role players is why it will likely never happen. It hurts them, even if it's technically more fair for the real drivers of the league to be paid more, and interchangeable role players less. And role players form 90% of the union.
                            There would be no such thing as luxury tax payments so how would they be paying the same amount?

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
                              There would be no such thing as luxury tax payments so how would they be paying the same amount?
                              Who do you think the luxury tax payments go to? The players? They go to the other owners, or into league accounts that are funded by the owners anyway.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
                                Ouch.

One thing I just can't picture Casey being really good at is broadcasting. He's a terrible interview and his voice always sounds like he has a cold

Comment

Working...
                                X