Everything 2018 Playoffs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
    I don't think it's dramatic at all seeing as we just got swept with a -16 netRTG.

But hey man, keep doing MLSE's work for them on here.
    Here's an idea. Let's move the team to Seattle. Something went very wrong, but rather than think about what actually went wrong, let's just get rid of the whole franchise to be safe. Over-reacting is always a smart way to run a team.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
      Here's an idea. Let's move the team to Seattle. Something went very wrong, but rather than think about what actually went wrong, let's just get rid of the whole franchise to be safe. Over-reacting is always a smart way to run a team.
      Nice strawman.

My only point is that I think we need to rebuild because we don't have the guns to beat the top teams in the east let alone a Golden State or Houston.

Boston will be running Kyrie-Brown-Hayward-Tatum-Horford next year.

Philly might have LeBron

Indiana is rumoured to potentially get PG13 back.

We are not beating any of those teams next year if that happens. Idc how much lineup tinkering we do or which coach we bring in.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
        What's this narrative about the starters being more important and the bench not being as important being bad signs that should have predicted these playoffs? The starters were one of the best starting units in the entire league all year long, and were very good (one of the few positive lineups in the Cavs series until the coaching staff foolishly abandoned the lineup). The bench kept playing in the playoffs and were good in both series (again, one of the few positive lineups in the Cavs series until the coaching staff foolishly abandoned the lineup).

The weakness of the team was in the margins of the rotation, the issues they had all year, and the coaching. All of which reared some very ugly heads in both rounds of the playoffs, but especially (obviously) in the Cavs series. The series was over as soon as Casey abandoned the looks that had worked all year (and were working against the Cavs) to use more looks that had never worked, and which continued to not work, shockingly.

It's frustrating watching Indiana and Boston execute game plans against the Cavs. And yes, the rosters are not the same. But the failures we saw from this team were not primarily because of personnel. The game plan was garbage - defensive strategy, matchups, lineups, etc. Take Boston's lineup or Indy's lineup and give them our game plan and it's a 4 game sweep there too.

Now, take our lineup and run a proper game plan and we probably still struggle a bit with hiding DeMar, and with Serge playing like garbage. We need some player turnover, in all likelihood. But these narratives running around that it was just the players running scared or not tough enough, or that the strengths of the team wouldn't translate to the playoffs - that's all a bit dramatic, even if they were factors to one degree or another. The reality is that the single biggest factor to the collapse was the incredible panic from the coaching staff - hopefully an issue they can remedy with whoever the new hire will be. I still look forward to the other issues being remedied as well (I've had my fill of DeRozan, personally), but let's not panic and overreact like the coaching staff did in evaluating this team, and avoid throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
        But panic IS lack of mental toughness, which was a big part of the narrative coming in. Combine that with lack of physical toughness, it was actually surprising how some players, like Yak and Siak got pushed around. So the lack of toughness narrative actually got confirmed in spades and was highlighted specifically by Lowry as a key reason for losing. I guess Lowry's being silly?

Casey, Lowry and DeMar all have that same panic disease - and for some reason it's only vs. Lebron & the Warriors. It's a damn shame, because the Raps exhibit no fear against the Celtics, Sixers or Rockets.

Comment

If we can pull off a deal like the Harden one I'm all for it.

We are not the free agent destination Miami is.

We don't have the trade assets to pull off what Boston did.
          We almost did, but apparently BC didn't want to give up JV in that trade. It's hard, but not impossible.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
            We almost did, but apparently BC didn't want to give up JV in that trade. It's hard, but not impossible.
            Let me know who the Harden is you wanna go after and I'm all ears.

Right now we have Masai who is a former scout and one of the best drafters in the league. Get him some top 5 picks and I think he can land superstars for us.

Comment

Let me know who the Harden is you wanna go after and I'm all ears.
              Hopefully that's Kawhi. Fingers crossed. And you let me know how the ping pong balls are going to drop in 2021 so we can be in the perfect position to draft the next superstar, 7th overall.

Comment

Hopefully that's Kawhi. Fingers crossed. And you let me know how the ping pong balls are going to drop in 2021 so we can be in the perfect position to draft the next superstar, 7th overall.
                Kawhi is nothing like the Harden trade. Harden was a very productive 6th man but not a known quantity as a superstar yet. We will get outbid for Kawhi by teams that actually have good trade assets, because he's a top 5 player in the league already.

Comment

Kawhi is nothing like the Harden trade. Harden was a very productive 6th man but not a known quantity as a superstar yet. We will get outbid for Kawhi by teams that actually have good trade assets, because he's a top 5 player in the league already.
                  Maybe. He's created a bit of a question mark with his absence this year about what the offers will be like. It also depends on what the Spurs want in return - overall value sometimes takes a back seat to direction.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Well let's cross our fingers for DeMar+OG for Kawhi then. Beyond that dream scenario, I want a rebuild.

Comment

• I still think we can land our 'star' via a DeMar trade. But I also believe Giannis and Toronto is a likely pair up in the foreseeable future.

As for the next Harden though.. I think Brandon Ingram might be close. He's looking like he'll be a special player in the league. If we can move DeMar for Ingram and a Laker's future pick that would be a coop.

Comment

Kawhi has 2 significant risks: one of them is huge (injury) and the other is that if he doesn't agree to a contract extension with the team trading for him, then he's basically just a long term rental. That's equally huge. That will keep his price down, even for teams that have the assets to outbid us.

But if you can get him for DeMar + assets, that solves 2 problems for us and is worth the risk, IMO. And if he does leave, that sets in motion a natural tank/rebuild.

Comment

Kawhi has 2 significant risks, one of them is huge (injury) and the other is that if he doesn't agree to a contract extension with the team trading for him, then he's basically just a long term rental. That's equally huge. That will keep his price down, even for teams that have the assets to outbid us.

But if you can get him for DeMar + assets, that solves 2 problems for us and is worth the risk, IMO. And if he does leave, that sets in motion a natural tank/rebuild.
                          In my opinion; the injury aspect is going to be the biggest aspect that suppresses Kawhi's value.
                          "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                          "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• Ok if we don't get Kawhi (which we won't) then what, run it back with the same crap?

Comment

• You guys have actually convinced yourselves we're real contenders to acquire Kawhi.

Lol, I just can't anymore.

Comment

Ok if we don't get Kawhi (which we won't) then what, run it back with the same crap?
                                Shaolin - the tank will come if things don't work out the next 1-2 seasons. The contracts will run out and we'll have a better idea of the young players ceilings.

If you're patient enough to want to undergo a 5+ year process to tank for a superstar, why can't you also be patient to wait the additional year or two to get a better idea of the young players and have a couple more fun years before some really hard ones. This isn't the right time to tank yet, but it'll happen unless things turn around and one of the young guys suddenly look like a star.
                                That is a normal collar. Move on, find a new slant.

Comment

Working...
                                X