Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
      Like OKC with their core of young superstars did.... shit happens kid....
      LOL. I am so hesitant to weigh in but I still can't get over the Hinkie praise. I love these guys from the world of solutioneering. It's not the Process was a bad approach but his implementation of it was hapless and hamfisted. His resignation letter reads like exposition from a cut rate executive MBA class. It's not that tanking is bad, though we can debate the merits of it historically, it's that Hinkie was so bad at tanking.... operationally, he got very few decisions correct.

Classic management consultant. Come in with a plan. Execute it terribly. Get replaced. Blame everyone for not sticking with the plan. Take credit when new management team succeeds. And people fall for it every time....

Comment

• Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post

Smh...

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
            LOL. I am so hesitant to weigh in but I still can't get over the Hinkie praise. I love these guys from the world of solutioneering. It's not the Process was a bad approach but his implementation of it was hapless and hamfisted. His resignation letter reads like exposition from a cut rate executive MBA class. It's not that tanking is bad, though we can debate the merits of it historically, it's that Hinkie was so bad at tanking.... operationally, he got very few decisions correct.

Classic management consultant. Come in with a plan. Execute it terribly. Get replaced. Blame everyone for not sticking with the plan. Take credit when new management team succeeds. And people fall for it every time....
            But he's so smart! Haven't you heard how smart he Is?
            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• That is a fair point from slaw.

BC in some ways is actually executing "the process" better than Hinkie was. Hinkie didn't really draft very well other than Embiid (who he was basically forced to pick since Wiggins and Jabari were taken off the board already). He's obviously benefiting majorly from having Embiid and starting with the #1 pick (which he used on a unanimous #1 in Simmons) though.

However I do think the tanking strategy is a legitimate one, that our organization is capable of executing well. We have excellent player development, scouting and team culture. Post Lowry-DeMar-Ibaka if none of the young guys we have now really blossom into stars, it could be a viable way to reboot the team and create a title contender 2-3 years down the line.

Comment

I take it you're the second management consultant who comes in. lol. But you also sound like somebody who didn't take the time to understand what Hinkie's plan actually was, before trying to sound like an expert on it, i.e., another clue that you're a management consultant. lol.

I was one of the biggest anti-tankers on this board, and still am, but I also grudgingly have to admit that Hinkie did have a plan, that baked in contingencies for a lot of failure along the way. He was playing the odds. You have to give the man his due, because he positioned the franchise to draft the consensus #1 pick, Simmons, but was axed just months away from being able to indelibly put his stamp on that.

The Process was, in Hinkie's own words.....

At his press conference, Hinkie explained his thinking.

He said that the only way to win an NBA title is to have a team that can win 55+ games every year. And the only way to have a team that can win 55+ games every year is to get great players. And the only way to get great players is to have enough picks to either 1) draft a great player, or 2) put together a trade package for a great player that can help you make a "big leap."

Here's what he said when asked why he doesn't try to get a little bit better every year:

"What we look at is, how do we add to what we're doing in a way that gets us closer to our goal? We don't think that it will necessarily be linear — that every year you will add five wins and after 10 years you will get to 50. That's not the way we think about the world. We think that it comes at fits and starts, and you have to be prepared to put yourself in a position that you might be able to make big leaps."

Here's how he described the overarching philosophy of how you win in the NBA:

"We're focused on how to put the building blocks in place that have a chance to compete in May. Those teams win in the high-50s. They don't win in the teens and they don't add two or three wins a year and they don't add a win a month for a little while to try and get to where they're going. They get all the way to the 50s. And they get there usually on the backs of great players. We are still — as much as I've talked about how we make decisions and as much as I've talked about our organizational goals and our player development — it is a players-driven league, still. When we have a set of players that can carry us deep, that's the only way, that's the only way to get where we're going."

A central component of the plan is acquiring draft picks. The Sixers could have as many as four top-20 picks in the 2015 draft.

Hinkie said part of the reason he hoards picks is that the draft is fundamentally a crapshoot. You can't draft better than the rest of the NBA, but you can more often than the rest of the NBA:

"We will not bat a thousand on every single draft pick. We also have them by the bushelful, in part, because of that. We don't have any hubris that we will get them all right. We're not certain that we have an enormous edge over anybody else. In some cases, we might not have an edge at all."

Hinkie is only trying to build a championship-level team. He's not interested in building a team that can just make the playoffs, or even win a series or two. He wants a juggernaut, even if it means Philly is the worst team in the NBA for a few years.

When asked when he'll know when the rebuilding process is complete and he has the right players in place, Hinkie responded ominously, "We'll all know. We'll all know."
                http://www.businessinsider.com/sam-h...ng-plan-2015-2

After reading Hinkie's plan, there is no doubt that he executed it to perfection. That second management consultant did him dirty. Real dirty.

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
                  That is a fair point from slaw.

BC in some ways is actually executing "the process" better than Hinkie was. Hinkie didn't really draft very well other than Embiid (who he was basically forced to pick since Wiggins and Jabari were taken off the board already). He's obviously benefiting majorly from having Embiid and starting with the #1 pick (which he used on a unanimous #1 in Simmons) though.

However I do think the tanking strategy is a legitimate one, that our organization is capable of executing well. We have excellent player development, scouting and team culture. Post Lowry-DeMar-Ibaka if none of the young guys we have now really blossom into stars, it could be a viable way to reboot the team and create a title contender 2-3 years down the line.
                  This is crazy talk. Embiid and Simmons are 2 generational talents. Hinkie is 100% responsible for getting both of them. You can't just sweep that under the rug as, .... well all he did was get us Shaq & Penny 2.0.

Comment

• Trading for Saric was an underrated move, too.

Comment

• Plan involving a lottery is not a plan. He constructed a team that lost a lot of games. It gave them a more chance at winning the lottery but it was all up to ping pong balls. He drafted 3 centers. 2 busts essentially. Simmons was drafted when Colangelo's already were in power.
                      Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                        This is crazy talk. Embiid and Simmons are 2 generational talents. Hinkie is 100% responsible for getting both of them. You can't just sweep that under the rug as, .... well all he did was get us Shaq & Penny 2.0.
                        And yet... two years later....despite the fortunate Embiid pick sequence turning out incredibly well and making the right choice with Simmons.....Sam is still looking for work... go figure
                        Last edited by Demographic Shift; Thu Apr 26, 2018, 02:17 PM.
                        There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                        - TGO

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                          Plan involving a lottery is not a plan. He constructed a team that lost a lot of games. It gave them a more chance at winning the lottery but it was all up to ping pong balls. He drafted 3 centers. 2 busts essentially. Simmons was drafted when Colangelo's already were in power.
                          Hinkie was just months away from drafting Simmons before the Colangelati put out a hit request on him. Simmons is Hinkie's pick - 100%. 4 out of the 5 players in the starting lineup are Hinkie's.

The reason Hinkie got axed was because: (a) he pissed off player's agents by treating them like commodities & (b) some incidents around Okafor and Nerlens created a negative perception about the franchise's culture, compounded by losing on purpose. Those things were irrelevant in the big picture, but highly politicized by the media and used by the Colangelati to justify throwing him under the bus.

Again, I'm staunchly anti-tank, but when you read Hinkie's own words, he wasn't just using Philly's own draft picks. He was hoarding every single pick he could possibly get to assess whether or not he had a generational talent on his hands or a building block. MCW won rookie-of-the-year but he had no problem flipping him immediately. Jrue Holiday was an all-star, but he knew enough not to include him in the build. Most franchises would have held onto both guys and lost flexibility in roster building.

As an anti-tanker, I mocked Hinkie as much as everyone else. But you have to give the man credit for a plan well thought out and followed through. Read the article closely.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                            Plan involving a lottery is not a plan. He constructed a team that lost a lot of games. It gave them a more chance at winning the lottery but it was all up to ping pong balls. He drafted 3 centers. 2 busts essentially. Simmons was drafted when Colangelo's already were in power.
                            Yes, it's a "lottery", but you're guaranteed a high pick. It's not really the gamble it's portrayed to be.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                              Yes, it's a "lottery", but you're guaranteed a high pick. It's not really the gamble it's portrayed to be.
                              It's a gamble in that you have less than 50% chance of drafting an all star, and a much much smaller chance of drafting a franchise guy. Orlando. Phoenix. Charlotte. Lakers. These teams just keep on sucking, spinning their wheels of the tank. Look at Utah, found Mitchell in the middle of the round this year and he's the offensive mvp of his first round series.

The only thing tanking ever guarantees with certainty is losing. Lots of it.
                              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Sam is the Gerald M Butts of the NBA. One tanked teams .. the other tanks policy. Shame only one is out of work.
                                There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                                - TGO

Comment

Working...
                                X