Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eastern Conference Playoff Preview: Predictions on Rounds 1 and 2. Whose going to the Finals ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eastern Conference Playoff Preview: Predictions on Rounds 1 and 2. Whose going to the Finals ?

So here we go..... The Regular Season is done and over and the playoffs start in 24 hours.

So what are the calls on who gets to the Semi's ?

Raps vs Wiz Lots of fear and loathing from some of the Republican Guard.. but fear not.. The Raptors are advancing to the Semi's. Why do the they win ? Continuity and Depth. The Wiz have talent to be sure.. but they have struggled all season long with consistency and team chemistry.... and those struggles continue. ..The raps advance in 5.. possibly 6.

Chowderheads vs Bucks. The Bucks will have the best player in the series in the Alphabet. After a prolonged absence Malcom Brogdon is back and frees up Eric Bledsoe to play off the ball. Brogdon is a bigger guard and will give Kyrie-light replacement Terry Rozier all he can handle man on man. The Bucks are soft as baby poop inside with Henson and Parker and with stick man Thon Maker coming in off the bench the Bucks are going to be vulnerable inside when the Chowders draw the Alphabet outside on forced covers of Morris and Brown on the perimeter.

The Chowderheads perimeter defense is very good and they will make it tough for Middleton and Bledsoe from the arc. The interior defense gets help when they can collapse a guy in and the Alphabet will have to work for his points inside. The Chowders are going to have to muster some offence to get by the Bucks. Can Tatum,Brown and Morris give them enough points while their defense keeps the Bucks at bay ? Barely.

It goes the full 7 games.... and the Chowderheads advance.

Heat vs Hinkies The Hinkies are the latest darlings of the NBA. They ride into the playoffs with a 16 game winning streak, the redshirt rookie of the year, and the best part time superstar in the league (currently on the IR) in Joel Embiid. They are fast. they are athletic, they sport veteran help in Illyasova and Reddick. They also turn the ball over on average 17 times a game, have limited playoff chops and their ball handlers Simmons and Fultz can't shoot outside of 10 feet.

The Miami Heat like the Chowderheads are offensively challenged. They do have a 3 point threat in Ellington and Goran Dragic will get inside in a half court set for points on dishes and layups but the Heat are not going to win this series with offence. Eric Spolestra is going to try to make life really tough for the Hinkies with his defensive sets with the intent of making the most turnover prone team in the league turn it over at a high rate. The Heat will clutch,grab, elbow and with the relaxed whistle. If the Heat can get the Hinks to turn it over at their average or even higher rate than they ususally do (17 a game) Spoelstra can push the series turns into a transition game where the Heat can score enough to upset the Hinkies ....with or without their part time centre. Can they do it ?

Yes they can... and in an upset... the Heat advance.

NewLooks vs Indy Indy is the best story in the east this year. Panned as fodder they have flipped the bird to just about everyone with their season. They don't turn it over very much and have playoff experience with Miles Turner, Lance Stevenson, Thad Young, Corey Joseph and Bojan Bogdonovich. They can score and they can run and they will expose the wimpy Cavs defense and they do have a guy in Lance Stevenson who just loves guarding Lebron. Is it enough for an upset ?

The NewLooks are going as far as Lebron can carry them. In the past LBJ has had pretty significant options to step up and take some of the load off him but those guys are gone. Irving is in Boston.. Frye is in LA and the energy Bullet Head vet... Richard Jefferson.... is in Denver. Lebron does still have Kevin Love to ride shotgun but ole Kevin could get injured during a tour of a pillow factory. Another playoff injury could be devastating for the NewLooks. He starts the series in good health though. JR Smith .. well who knows where hes at....Tristan Thompson is ducking the TMZ crowd and "the replacements" Nance/Hood/Clarkson have no playoff experience. The defense still sucks. BUT... they still have Lebron.

Even with noted villan Lance Stevenson all over his frame the NewLooks will get through the opening round. It won't be a sweep. It won't be the gentlemans sweep ...The Newlooks advance in 6 or 7...
    Last edited by Demographic Shift; Fri Apr 13, 2018, 03:12 PM.
    There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
    - TGO

I like it DS, but why not the West too while we're at it?

I was gonna suggest an "around the NBA playoff thread"..I know we have a sub forum but nobody fucking visits it

Here's mine

Raps vs Wizards: Raps in 5. Wizards take game 3.

Boston vs Milwaukee: Celtics win in 7. Horford and Stevens are too savvy to let the first round slip

Miami vs Philly: Philly in 6. Will struggle a bit but won't be in for a rude awakening against a star less Miami squad

Cleveland vs Indy: Cleveland in 6. IF this happens I'll officially know we can and will beat their ass

Houston vs Minnesota: Houston in 5. Too much horsepower

Golden State vs San Antonio: Golden State in 7. This will be verrrry interesting without Curry. I suspect old Tony Brothers or Ed Malloy may get the call to "manage" Game 7

Utah vs Oklahoma City: OKC in 6. This will be the first upset. OKC goes behind beast Russell Westbrook, George plays lockdown D and Steven Adams does Steven Adams stuff to Gobert. We get the series the world deserves in the next round

Portland vs New Orleans: Portland in 7. I usually like to bet on the best player in the series winning. Not here. Dame Time is clutch Time. Sorry Brow, great year though.
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Guesses that I've put almost no thought into:

Raps in 5.
      Bucks in 6.
      Miami in 6.
      Cavs in 7.
      Houston in 4.
      GSW in 5.
      Utah in 7.
      Pelicans in 6.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Raps in 7
        Bucks in 6
        Sixers in 7 (assuming Embiid is back for game 2)
        Cavs in 5
        Rockets in 4
        Warriors in 4
        Thunder in 6
        Pelicans in 7

Comment

I actually like Miami vs. Philly. Whiteside is a monster at the rim and two of Philly's best players don't have a jumpshot. The Heat also have some good sized wing defenders to throw at Simmons, including our old buddy James Bruce Lee Johnson. That's going to be a tough series and Miami has a good shot at the upset.

Raps in 5
          Celtics in 7
          Heat in 7
          Cavs in 6
          Rockets in 4
          Warriors in 6
          Utah in 7
          Portland in 6
          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Am I the only one who thinks Thibodeau has schemes to make life absolutely miserable for Harden?

Ultimately, Houston wins the series, but I think Minny will be a tough out.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
              Am I the only one who thinks Thibodeau has schemes to make life absolutely miserable for Harden?

Ultimately, Houston wins the series, but I think Minny will be a tough out.
              I dunno. Butler can make life miserable for Harden, but their bigs aren't great defenders and if HOU goes PnR they should get a lot of easy baskets. And I think the HOU bench will shred the Minny bench.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                I dunno. Butler can make life miserable for Harden, but their bigs aren't great defenders and if HOU goes PnR they should get a lot of easy baskets. And I think the HOU bench will shred the Minny bench.
                Gibson's a good defender, no? Next to Butler and Towns, he's probably the most important player on their roster.

Comment

Raptors in 5
                  Celtics in 7
                  Sixers in 6
                  Cavs in 4

Rockets in 4
                  Warriors in 5
                  Pelicans in 7
                  Jazz in 6
                  The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                    Gibson's a good defender, no? Next to Butler and Towns, he's probably the most important player on their roster.
                    Yeah but Houston will put Towns in PnR. And Gibson would be covering a shooter, so any help he provides may be playing into HOU's hands.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
                      I like it DS, but why not the West too while we're at it?

I was gonna suggest an "around the NBA playoff thread"..I know we have a sub forum but nobody fucking visits it

Here's mine

Raps vs Wizards: Raps in 5. Wizards take game 3.

Boston vs Milwaukee: Celtics win in 7. Horford and Stevens are too savvy to let the first round slip

Miami vs Philly: Philly in 6. Will struggle a bit but won't be in for a rude awakening against a star less Miami squad

Cleveland vs Indy: Cleveland in 6. IF this happens I'll officially know we can and will beat their ass

Houston vs Minnesota: Houston in 5. Too much horsepower

Golden State vs San Antonio: Golden State in 7. This will be verrrry interesting without Curry. I suspect old Tony Brothers or Ed Malloy may get the call to "manage" Game 7

Utah vs Oklahoma City: OKC in 6. This will be the first upset. OKC goes behind beast Russell Westbrook, George plays lockdown D and Steven Adams does Steven Adams stuff to Gobert. We get the series the world deserves in the next round

Portland vs New Orleans: Portland in 7. I usually like to bet on the best player in the series winning. Not here. Dame Time is clutch Time. Sorry Brow, great year though.
                      West..

Houston over Minny in 5
                      Butler can't guard both Paul and Harden and Towns and Wiggins can't guard anyone.

Golden State over Spurs in 5
                      Even sans Curry there is still to much talent on the Warriors for the Spurs to overcome. Manu Ginobli shows why he is a HOF'er in his last rodeo. Hats off to the former 57th overall pick in the 1999 draft.

Utah over Chokelahoma in 6
                      The Jazz slow it down and Rudy Gobert flummox's the Thunder's Russell Westbrook at the rim. Carmello continues his streak of never getting past round 1. In the aftermath....Paul George has some thinking to do.

New Orleans over Portland in 6
                      The most talented big man in the league with Jrue Holiday riding shotgun carries his team past RIP City. There is no one on that Blazers team that can stay with Davis. He could put up 40 a night.
                      Last edited by Demographic Shift; Fri Apr 13, 2018, 07:16 PM.
                      There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                      - TGO

Comment

Raps in 6.
                        Bucks in 6.
                        Cavs in 5.
                        6ers in 7.

Rockets in 6.
                        Warriors in 5.
                        Jazz in 7.
                        Blazers in 7.

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
                          I actually like Miami vs. Philly. Whiteside is a monster at the rim and two of Philly's best players don't have a jumpshot. The Heat also have some good sized wing defenders to throw at Simmons, including our old buddy James Bruce Lee Johnson. That's going to be a tough series and Miami has a good shot at the upset.

Raps in 5
                          Celtics in 7
                          Heat in 7
                          Cavs in 6
                          Rockets in 4
                          Warriors in 6
                          Utah in 7
                          Portland in 6
                          Wrong thread but.....does anyone else agree that James Johnson would still be a very useful piece on the Raptors? I guess he wasn't as lean and athletic when he was here and Casey hated him but his toughness and ability to guard Lebronish players is something we won't have till OG grows up.

Raps in 5
                          Celts in 7
                          Philly in 7
                          Pacers in 7 (just a feeling.....)
                          Warriors in 6
                          Rockets in 5
                          Blazers in 6
                          OKC in 6

Comment

Raps in 6
                            Bucks in 6
                            Heat in 7
                            Cavs in 4
                            Rockets in 5
                            Spurs in 6
                            Utah in 7
                            Portland in 5

Comment

Raps in 4
                              Celtics in 7
                              Miami in 7
                              Cleveland in 6
                              Rockets in 4
                              GSW in 6
                              Portland in 6
                              Utah in 5

Interesting that Raptors and Rockets are the only two upsets that nobody in this thread has picked (so far). Shows how competitive these playoffs look.

Comment

Working...
                              X