57.14%
    Apollo, Simmons
    42.86%
    Mack, Markkanen
    0.00%
    DanH, Tatum
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

i think in the future we should drop the "based on stats" aspect of this award. not just because of ben simmons, but because i think it allows for more opinions on what makes the rookie of the year. but for me this year is ben. if philly didn't make the playoffs though, i would have preferred to vote mitchell.

Comment

This thing is, these awards are from a fantasy perspective and really only stats matter in fantasy. Analysis of stats can sometimes be subjective but Simmons ranked higher, he hit more cats for a big impact and he did so on a lower useage. Simmons shot 10% better from the field. He's getting penalized a little in comparison to Mitchell because he's was a facilitator instead of sent out to score as much as possible. He could certainly have scored more if that was his direction. He was putting up around 4.5 more assists and rebounds per game than Mitchell. He blocked one shot a game and had more steals than Mitchell.
      Last edited by Apollo; Sun Apr 29, 2018, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
        This thing is, these awards are from a fantasy perspective and really only stats matter in fantasy. Analysis of stats can sometimes be subjective but Simmons ranked higher, he hit more cats for a big impact and he did so on a lower useage. Simmons shot 10% better from the field. He's getting penalized a little in comparison to Mitchell because he's was a facilitator instead of sent out to score as much as possible. He could certainly have scored more if that was his direction. He was putting up around 4.5 more assists and rebounds per game than Mitchell. He blocked one shot a game and had more steals than Mitchell.
        Simmons got my vote. But I might have voted for tatum as well. Markenen maybe also. Those were really good picks, where very good fantasy value was gained by their owners that others passed on.

Comment

just realized the voting window closed already, but wanted to put my 2 cents in anyway. I wouldn't have voted for Simmons because I feel that this category is more about value and rewarding the drafting acumen of our people. Picking Ben Simmons first overall takes no scouting skills since he was by far the consensus top pick that year. Mitchell pick or Markannen pick are both more deserving in my books.
          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Mitchell got my vote for exactly the reasons Axel outlined.

Comment

Simmons was picked in 2016 anyway, so he wouldn't get my vote this year. Forgot to cast my ballot, woops!

Comment

Guys, the poll says rookie of the year and I can't remember clearly but I think when I made this award up it was rookie of the year in terms of intent. Its hard arguing that he wasn't the best rookie.

Comment

Guys, the poll says rookie of the year and I can't remember clearly but I think when I made this award up it was rookie of the year in terms of intent. Its hard arguing that he wasn't the best rookie.
                  Our awards are for the owners of the teams, not the individual players. It's actually the "shot caller of the year" award, not rookie of the year, for that very reason.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                    Our awards are for the owners of the teams, not the individual players. It's actually the "shot caller of the year" award, not rookie of the year, for that very reason.
                    this is where i find the awards somewhat confusing. i see an argument for both the owner and the player. for this award especially, that is the only way i can see any reason for voting. my opinion of either player or owner. otherwise we just look and see tatum was the 44th best and simmons was the 28th best.

i wouldn't mind making this award "most surprising pick of the rookie draft". i think that would give it way more leeway, and would allow for a giant bust to win the award.

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                      this is where i find the awards somewhat confusing. i see an argument for both the owner and the player. for this award especially, that is the only way i can see any reason for voting. my opinion of either player or owner. otherwise we just look and see tatum was the 44th best and simmons was the 28th best.

i wouldn't mind making this award "most surprising pick of the rookie draft". i think that would give it way more leeway, and would allow for a giant bust to win the award.
                      I like that idea and as I sip my coffee from the coveted RRNBADL Shot Caller of The Year Award trophy, I think it's something that should be considered seriously.

Comment

Based on the name of the award, and the OP for the voting thread last year....

Apollo wrote:
                        This award will go to the manager who has made the best draft pick of the year. Your vote should be supported by stats.

A discussion is welcomed.

I don't think it's that complicated.

Comment

Hmmm, like I said said in my disclaimer of my post earlier, I couldn't exactly remember what we agreed on. Maybe there should be a re-polling for this one.

ROY in the poll was an influence for sure.

Comment

Ya I didn't view this as "Rookie of the Year" at all. "Shot Caller of the Year" to me was who made the savviest pick. And that was definitely Mitchell for me this year.

Comment

Tried to reopen the poll to give people a longer shot at voting. Let's keep these open for longer than 2 days Miek, or however long you initially set it. Off-season is long. We got lots of time for these.

Comment

Working...
                              X