What's next

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hotfuzz wrote: View Post
    Drafting is the still the best way to build a contender. I'll post this again.

All the main winners in the past 15ish years:
    Lakers - kobe
    Spurs - Duncan
    Celtics- pierce
    Mavs - dirk
    Heat - wade
    Cavs - LeBron
    Warriors- curry

What do all of these have in common? Each of them drafted one or more of their superstars. Drafting well (and in the lottery) is the best way to build a contender. How do you maximize chances of drafting Well? Tanking
    You can also trade for another tanker's pick. You don't have to tank.

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
      all i want is for OG onunoby to not turn into normal powell next year.
      Then he's not allowed to do the Go Daddy commercials next year... JV last year, Powell this year... bad omen that Go Daddy!

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
        You can also trade for another tanker's pick. You don't have to tank.
        See: Celtics

The drafting strategy across the league has not been absolutely optimized (may never be). Scouts, teams, GMs, most consistently miss...

Masai consistently hits - he has throughout his career. I think it's absolutely possible to attain stars picking late in the draft - especially when you maximize your drafts by hitting near every pick.

However, I'm fine with tanking, Masai hasn't ever had the chance to consistently pick high and develop highly touted players. I think that would turn out well.

Comment

It's going to be fascinating to watch what Masai does. There's one word he always comes back to: 'Compete'. It's clear that on a personal level, this is really important to him. And so he's going to look back on this series, and be left with two contradicting facts: 1) The team did not compete well in two games this series. This is unacceptable. 2) They competed very well in two games (one of which was on the road). They easily could have won the first game, and if they had, that changes the entire tenor of the series, and, IMO, makes the Raps at least even odds to win it, if not favourites.

How will he reconcile these contradictions? I really have no idea. One thing about him seems clear, and this goes back to his Denver days: he doesn't like to act from a position of weakness. Anyone expecting a quick firing or trade, forget it. Zero chance. Similarly, he will give no clues (meaningful ones, anyways) about future moves tomorrow when he talks to the media.

None of the options available right now - hold steady, fire the coach, trade a star, complete tear down - none of these would surprise me. If I had to guess, I'd say we'll see no major moves before next season starts. The only certainty, to me, is that Vanvleet will be back.
          "Stop eating your sushi."
          "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
          "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
          - Jack Armstrong

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
            It's going to be fascinating to watch what Masai does. There's one word he always comes back to: 'Compete'. It's clear that on a personal level, this is really important to him. And so he's going to look back on this series, and be left with two contradicting facts: 1) The team did not compete well in two games this series. This is unacceptable. 2) They competed very well in two games (one of which was on the road). They easily could have won the first game, and if they had, that changes the entire tenor of the series, and, IMO, makes the Raps at least even odds to win it, if not favourites.

How will he reconcile these contradictions? I really have no idea. One thing about him seems clear, and this goes back to his Denver days: he doesn't like to act from a position of weakness. Anyone expecting a quick firing or trade, forget it. Zero chance. Similarly, he will give no clues (meaningful ones, anyways) about future moves tomorrow when he talks to the media.

None of the options available right now - hold steady, fire the coach, trade a star, complete tear down - none of these would surprise me. If I had to guess, I'd say we'll see no major moves before next season starts. The only certainty, to me, is that Vanvleet will be back.
            Interesting. If the core is brought back in its entirety, FVV's status seems to be the most uncertain, for me.

Comment

Honestly; probably the lowest I've felt coming out of a season ... ever.

On the positive side: I came out of this post season with 2 major thoughts. The first is OG is a stud. I don't see franchise player but I absolutely see something there. The second: I have zero problem seeing JV in all star discussions next year.
              "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
              "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

Just Is wrote: View Post
                Honestly; probably the lowest I've felt coming out of a season ... ever.

On the positive side: I came out of this post season with 2 major thoughts. The first is OG is a stud. I don't see franchise player but I absolutely see something there. The second: I have zero problem seeing JV in all star discussions next year.
                If Demar goes, definitely. If not, then JV will just cruise along the season and turn it up in the Playoffs like he has over the last few seasons.

Comment

Continue the successful transition to positionless, modern basketball - add shooting, veterans.

Comment

Keep banging your heads thinking this team will change. Gut it and trust the organization to draft well. This isn't Sacramento or any previous iterations of management we had. Masai will get it done.

Comment

The question we need to answer is : which is the reason for this fall, players, coach or both ?

Comment

RaptorsVictim wrote: View Post
                        The question we need to answer is : which is the reason for this fall, players, coach or both ?
                        Definitely both.

Comment

Players are the reason they lost, with a better performance from the coach they could have avoided a sweep though.
                          That is a normal collar. Move on, find a new slant.

Comment

For me it’s pretty obvious given the tight spot we’re in.

Stay the course and bring back FVV won’t change anything. Even with a different coach. There are huge holes especially on defence that were exposed.

To trade Ibaka, Lowry or JV we’ll have to give up assets and/or get nothing of value. That makes no sense. It would mean a 5-7 year rebuild. Those contracts can be traded much more easily next summer.

Demar has to be traded. We’d get some asset for him. It would give Powell an opportunity to reestablish himself (and perhaps establish trade value). The younger guys and JV step up more and grow as leaders. It’s still a playoff team, and maybe OG becomes something special.

So many teams are tanking. Philly was ahead of the curve. We’d be in it with multiple others during a time when the NBA will do something to disinventize it.

And a new coach with more of a rough edge (and tactician).

It’s pretty clear.

Comment

pakdawgie wrote: View Post
                              ...Stay the course and bring back FVV won’t change anything. Even with a different coach. There are huge holes especially on defence that were exposed...
                              It's my opinion that the "huge holes especially on defense" were because of the switching that the coach had the players doing. They were constantly leaving the corner threes open as they rushed to help. And if they were doing it despite instructions from the coach, why were they still on the floor? Why didn't Casey bench DeMar every time he wandered away from his man until he stopped wandering? You don't need him driving to the basket for twos if you can stop his man from hitting a three every trip down the floor.

Comment

Powell isn't any fucking good.

We have exactly one prospect that's actually got great upside and that's OG. Poeltl, Siakam and Wright MIGHT be starters at best.

Need to tank and get better talent.

Swap DeMar for whatever assets you can get. Move Lowry and Ibaka for worse contracts and picks/prospects. You can't dump them but you can do something like trading Lowry to NY and taking on Noah's contract in exchange for like Ntilikina and a future 1st. Ditto with Serge. We're not gonna be a FA player so taking on those deals is a non-issue.

Comment

Working...
                                X