Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lewenberg has a pretty good article on Nurse:
    https://www.tsn.ca/raptors-may-have-...role-1.1149793

As it stands now, Leonard and Kyle Lowry – the team’s all-stars – are the only two players locked into a starting spot, according to Nurse. The other three spots are still up for grabs, and could even remain fluid throughout the season.
    “I’m still on the JV train, for sure,” Nurse said. “I thought he made his biggest leap forward last year. I don’t know if his numbers were that much better, I don’t think they were, but just overall you felt better about him being on the floor. He felt better, he looked better, he just felt like more of a basketball player, [rather] than just running up and down, posting up and not getting the ball, and running back, and running down. He’s moving, and he’s swinging, and he’s rolling, he’s catching, he’s kicking. He just looks like more of a basketball player.”

That leaves Ibaka as the most likely candidate to open this season coming off the bench.
    Expect to see plenty of lineup variations with one traditional big and four interchangeable guards or wing players, as Nurse looks to capitalize on the team’s newfound versatility. Leonard and Green can both play three positions and comfortably defend or switch onto at least four. Siakam can do the same. Their four point guards – Lowry, Wright, VanVleet and Lorenzo Brown – are all plus-defenders and can share the floor, with Wright even playing some small forward.
    Regardless of what the starting lineup looks like on opening night, Nurse doesn't intend to be married to his rotation. He wants to use the first few months of the season to experiment in preparation for the playoffs, not only with how they play, but also whom they are playing and when. He understands that there will be a time to run his best units out there and force other teams to adjust to them, but there will be others when they’re better off matching up – something the Raptors learned against Cleveland last spring, when (starting at centre for ) exposed Valanciunas on the perimeter. Things can, and likely will change throughout the season.

“Maybe it’s a night Serge goes to five and JV doesn’t start,” Nurse said. “Maybe there’s a night OG comes in and starts for Serge at the four.”

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
      Lewenberg has a pretty good article on Nurse:
      Yeah; I was a big fan of that article. I think the most shocking part initially was that JV wasn't locked into the starting spot but, once I finished, I 100% understood the logic behind it. The other part though was that it kind of sold me on the most likely Day 1 starting line up being Lowry-Green-Leonard-OG-JV,
      "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
      "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

I think he starts the season with Serge at 4. He's the vet on the big contract and it's his spot to lose.

The only question I have is whether Green or OG gets the start. OG is the bigger, stronger defender, but Green is no slouch and brings the more consistent shooting. OG vs. Green for who starts, is a thread on it's own LOL

Comment

It's sooooooooooo refreshing to hear Nurse speak.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
            It's sooooooooooo refreshing to hear Nurse speak.
            I think hearing the way that initial meeting went down did a lot to calm the fear of uncertainty that a lot of fans had about Nurse taking on this challenge.

Sidenote: imagine how awkward this might have been if we had hired Messina or another of the Spurs staffers?
            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
              I think hearing the way that initial meeting went down did a lot to calm the fear of uncertainty that a lot of fans had about Nurse taking on this challenge.

Sidenote: imagine how awkward this might have been if we had hired Messina or another of the Spurs staffers?
              REAL awkward

Comment

'We can't make this trade' awkward.
                "Stop eating your sushi."
                "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Better to be lucky than good eh?
                  There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                  - TGO

Comment

• I wonder if the idea of getting Kawhi blossomed during the interviews with Messina. The off chance that they actually had a chance at Kawhi might have been a reason as to why they went with Nurse instead.

Comment

• “I’m still on the JV train, for sure,” Nurse said. “I thought he made his biggest leap forward last year. I don’t know if his numbers were that much better, I don’t think they were, but just overall you felt better about him being on the floor. He felt better, he looked better, he just felt like more of a basketball player, [rather] than just running up and down, posting up and not getting the ball, and running back, and running down. He’s moving, and he’s swinging, and he’s rolling, he’s catching, he’s kicking. He just looks like more of a basketball player.”

That was my favourite part..so many year of JV lumbering up the court, being wide open, being ignored, going to set a screen and then getting the rebound before giving it up for a while again. He's not perfect but at least use him if he's there.

Comment

• This hypocricy is so fucking hilarious. Turning the blind eye on Derozan and implying that its all Casey’s fault.

How many times Derozan would bring the ball down the court with JV setting the high pick and rolling yet wont get the ball in the post.

Derozan a million times would turn his head the other way and totally ignore the presence of his bigman.

God.

Comment

• Not sure if this has been posted, but just saw this:

Nurse talks about his coaching journey.
                          Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• ReubenJRD wrote: View Post
                            Not sure if this has been posted, but just saw this:

Nurse talks about his coaching journey.
                            Note: This was before the Kawhi trade.
                            Great interview with Nurse. Lot's of stuff that was certainly news to me. I like him even more than I did before.

Comment

• Nick Nurse is turning into one of the key men for this team for the coming season.

He's got all sorts of tools to work with:
                              - Lowry, Kawhi and Jonas will start
                              - Delon and Freddie to juggle as backup PGs
                              - Ibaka, Siakam, Monroe (and OG and Kawhi) to juggle as bigs
                              - OG, Danny, CJ, Norm (and Delon) to juggle as wings

The question is: what will Nurse (and his coaching team) make of all these tools?
                              - can Nick (as a rookie NBA head coach) turn all these tools into a cohesive team?
                              - will he go with predictable rotations, or will he change it up based on the opponents?
                              - how quickly will lineups get to know each other, especially if there is constant change rather than predictable rotations?
                              - can he manage the chemistry where for character or performance reasons none of the vets (Lowry, Leonard, Ibaka, Green or Monroe) is an obvious steady, reliable, team leader in the locker room?
                              - and can he manage the chemistry in his own coaching team?

I predict a slowish start as Nick starts to figure all this out. The question is, will the team gel by December or not?

Comment

• Kuh wrote: View Post
                                Nick Nurse is turning into one of the key men for this team for the coming season.

He's got all sorts of tools to work with:
                                - Lowry, Kawhi and Jonas will start
                                - Delon and Freddie to juggle as backup PGs
                                - Ibaka, Siakam, Monroe (and OG and Kawhi) to juggle as bigs
                                - OG, Danny, CJ, Norm (and Delon) to juggle as wings

The question is: what will Nurse (and his coaching team) make of all these tools?
                                - can Nick (as a rookie NBA head coach) turn all these tools into a cohesive team?
                                - will he go with predictable rotations, or will he change it up based on the opponents?
                                - how quickly will lineups get to know each other, especially if there is constant change rather than predictable rotations?
                                - can he manage the chemistry where for character or performance reasons none of the vets (Lowry, Leonard, Ibaka, Green or Monroe) is an obvious steady, reliable, team leader in the locker room?
                                - and can he manage the chemistry in his own coaching team?

I predict a slowish start as Nick starts to figure all this out. The question is, will the team gel by December or not?
                                I am so curious. The way he has been pegged as a forward thinker makes me sooo curious and excited. The biggest question mark about him is going to be the little stuff in game; how are the rotations, out of time out plays, etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X