Everything Nick Nurse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
    It's like parents saying "It's my fault I raised you wrong" He's calling out the team.
    Sort of. The Spurs pretty much blew up the game-plan (whatever TF that was), so Nurse probably is taking some responsibility for that. Was listening to both Grange and even Leo this morning saying something to the effect that "the approach needs to change a bit" with JV and Lowry out, which is indirectly calling out the coaching staff game-planning.

Comment

• Nurse got out-coached badly last night. The loss is absolutely on him. Whatever game plan he had was dead on arrival and somehow he continued to stick with it for the rest of the game as we got to watch every Spurs player take turns shitting on the Raptors. Textbook definition of clueless?

Comment

• DerozansSpurs wrote: View Post
        Nurse got out-coached badly last night. The loss is absolutely on him. Whatever game plan he had was dead on arrival and somehow he continued to stick with it for the rest of the game as we got to watch every Spurs player take turns shitting on the Raptors. Textbook definition of clueless?

Comment

• Zainab wrote: View Post
          ???

Kawhi Leonard's return to San Antonio and his team wasn't ready to play. Smfh. Embarassing.
          Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Fury wrote: View Post
            Kawhi Leonard's return to San Antonio and his team wasn't ready to play. Smfh. Embarassing.
            Lost in all of this is there is actually an opponent with 12 humans game planning on the other side.

Spurs treated this like their superbowl. Most of these guys were around before and felt jilted by Kawhi. Motivated to stick it to him. DeRozan is beloved everywhere he goes and guaranteed they also wanted to win it for him. Add to that at&t center bein absolutely off the hinges and forsure the most energy they've had all year. Add to THAT the spurs have been firing on all cylinders for a couple weeks while we've sputtered.

Put it all together with a slightly too friendly raps squad, sprinkle in a few easy misses early and what do you got? They blew our doors off and the game was over already 10 minutes in.

Shit happens. The loss sucks and I prefer wins, but it has no bearing on a fully healthy raps squad in may
            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
              They are related. Bad offense and lack of offensive rebounding leads to more transition scoring with the defense not set and scrambling. Your whole post screams... miss ya, JV.
              True in general, not as much what I saw last night as just blown coverages due to poor communication & rotations. Spurs were getting too many layups off things like a simple shovel pass out of the p'n'r. The defenders were there, they didn't execute.

I think missing Lowry is a big part of it, like Dan said. All the Raptors best defensive lineups this year feature Lowry and some of the differences between the same players with/without him are significant (but he still gets criticized around here for blow bys).

All that said, missing Lowry shouldn't be an excuse. This roster can field 5 plus defenders at a time whenever they want and, theoretically, I think they should be better defensively than they are.
              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                True in general, not as much what I saw last night as just blown coverages due to poor communication & rotations. Spurs were getting too many layups off things like a simple shovel pass out of the p'n'r. The defenders were there, they didn't execute.

I think missing Lowry is a big part of it, like Dan said. All the Raptors best defensive lineups this year feature Lowry and some of the differences between the same players with/without him are significant (but he still gets criticized around here for blow bys).

All that said, missing Lowry shouldn't be an excuse. This roster can field 5 plus defenders at a time whenever they want and, theoretically, I think they should be better defensively than they are.
                Yeah, I'd mostly agree with that except that we're getting shredded by physical front-court scoring big men when Ibaka plays and FVV is hit or miss on defending big guards. So depending on the nightly matchup, you could have glaring weaknesses on every possession that are being exploited mercilessly.

The obvious adjustment would be to start Delon instead of FVV, so at least you put your best foot forward defensively, but the team looks 100% invested in developing FVV, come hell or high water. Ironically, this is exactly what Casey would have done when Lowry got hurt... promote Wright (or heck, even Lorenzo Brown) into the starting lineup and have Freddy 'stay in his lane' as the backup PG.

Comment

• Zainab wrote: View Post
                  ???

That was not a normal loss for the Raptors this season...to be down big from start to finish. Clearly the Spurs really focused on game planning for this one and Raptors didn't or didn't come up with a good one. If ever a coach is to be blamed for a loss, it's one like this.

And to add gas to the flame I think Nurse should have taken all the blame upon himself. Cause you know Casey would have tried to deflect it like Nurse just did LOL

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                    That was not a normal loss for the Raptors this season...to be down big from start to finish. Clearly the Spurs really focused on game planning for this one and Raptors didn't or didn't come up with a good one. If ever a coach is to be blamed for a loss, it's one like this.

And to add gas to the flame I think Nurse should have taken all the blame upon himself. Cause you know Casey would have tried to deflect it like Nurse just did LOL
                    Isn't Nurse saying we didn't have our guys ready him taking blame?
                    I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• nurse is just bad.

"experimenting" is a bullshit excuse. he hasn't actually done anything different all year.

Just because it's different than Casey doesn't mean it's "experimental" as much as he just has a different, equally shitty philosophy. Have we ever had a good coach?

Comment

• Last night's game was an abnormality. That crowd will never be like that again. That atmosphere will never be like that again. No playoff atmosphere will ever be like that. It will be loud and crazy but not like that. Not targeting one player.

That was like Vince's first game back to Toronto. He got booed every time after that, but not like the first. We are always a loud crowd but not as loud as that night. It was worse for us, we didn't get a All-star player back, did not have a hall of fame coach and positive gm (we had the worse GM in our history arguably the worse in league history)

Last night hurt. We got punched in the mouth and worse of all it seemed like we felt like we deserved it. But chalk it up to one night. One night without our floor general. One night without our "True Centre". One night where a lot of our players (Green especially) were deers caught in a headlight. Im glad its in January and not April.

Comment

• Shredder wrote: View Post
                          Last night's game was an abnormality. That crowd will never be like that again. That atmosphere will never be like that again. No playoff atmosphere will ever be like that. It will be loud and crazy but not like that. Not targeting one player.

That was like Vince's first game back to Toronto. He got booed every time after that, but not like the first. We are always a loud crowd but not as loud as that night. It was worse for us, we didn't get a All-star player back, did not have a hall of fame coach and positive gm (we had the worse GM in our history arguably the worse in league history)

Last night hurt. We got punched in the mouth and worse of all it seemed like we felt like we deserved it. But chalk it up to one night. One night without our floor general. One night without our "True Centre". One night where a lot of our players (Green especially) were deers caught in a headlight. Im glad its in January and not April.
                          No, trade all the young guys
                          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
                            nurse is just bad.

"experimenting" is a bullshit excuse. he hasn't actually done anything different all year.

Just because it's different than Casey doesn't mean it's "experimental" as much as he just has a different, equally shitty philosophy. Have we ever had a good coach?
                            No to everything you said minus the last question since I don't know what constitutes 'good'.

Comment

• GLF wrote: View Post
                              Isn't Nurse saying we didn't have our guys ready him taking blame?
                              He said "we" meaning the entire coaching staff. One of those things everyone here was quick to jump on if Casey were to have said it.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                                He said "we" meaning the entire coaching staff. One of those things everyone here was quick to jump on if Casey were to have said it.
                                Nah, we jumped on Casey when he explicitly blamed stuff on his assistants. Like, actually said it was the assistants asking for something (I believe the egregious example being Bebe in game 4), thereby excluding himself from the blame. Saying it was the coaching staff's fault to protect the players is a good thing.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X