Everything Nick Nurse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shredder wrote: View Post
    Last night's game was an abnormality. That crowd will never be like that again. That atmosphere will never be like that again. No playoff atmosphere will ever be like that. It will be loud and crazy but not like that. Not targeting one player.

That was like Vince's first game back to Toronto. He got booed every time after that, but not like the first. We are always a loud crowd but not as loud as that night. It was worse for us, we didn't get a All-star player back, did not have a hall of fame coach and positive gm (we had the worse GM in our history arguably the worse in league history)

Last night hurt. We got punched in the mouth and worse of all it seemed like we felt like we deserved it. But chalk it up to one night. One night without our floor general. One night without our "True Centre". One night where a lot of our players (Green especially) were deers caught in a headlight. Im glad its in January and not April.
    Yeah, but the one player that all of that noise and hate should have affected performed well. The rest of the team didn't show up. I mean if there was a game where you wanted to make Kawhi feel like you had his back (in the hopes of him resigning) it was that game and the team let him down.

But yeah it's January and not April, and it seems like forever since everyone on this roster has been healthy at the same time.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
      Nah, we jumped on Casey when he explicitly blamed stuff on his assistants. Like, actually said it was the assistants asking for something (I believe the egregious example being Bebe in game 4), thereby excluding himself from the blame. Saying it was the coaching staff's fault to protect the players is a good thing.
      I was saying it in jest

Comment

• People need to calm down after every loss. Is there a stat where we can see the quality of shots we are getting? I feel our offense this year generates a lot of wide open shots, just that the players keep bricking them. If CJ Miles didn't regress, I'd feel he would average easy 10-15 points a game.

Comment

• Truth Teller wrote: View Post
          People need to calm down after every loss. Is there a stat where we can see the quality of shots we are getting? I feel our offense this year generates a lot of wide open shots, just that the players keep bricking them. If CJ Miles didn't regress, I'd feel he would average easy 10-15 points a game.
          There's a few things to keep in mind. Last 5 losses have been on the road. In their last 10 games, they have quality wins over Utah, Miami and Indy. This isn't all of a sudden a bad team, even without Lowry but FVV has been scuffling filling in and Wright has been less than productive. The Raps don't have a lot of playmaking and guys like Green, Ibaka, and others rely on Kyle to get them good shots. Combined all that with the loss of JV's bench production and there's a bunch of gaps to fill.

I think Raps fans have been spoiled for a few years now with not having the team suffer through a lot of injuries, especially to key personnel. This is what happens. It seems more than a few people operate under an assumption that you just carry on and adjust but it's tough to replace the production from two top players, let alone their impact.

As for Nurse, I'm frankly surprised we haven't seen the Fire Nick Nurse thread yet. Maybe next week.

Comment

• Once again I find myself here tipping my hat to Nick and shaking my head at people who call him (disgracefully I'd like to add) Jay Triano 2.0. The difference of having an in game coach in Nurse vs. "stick to the gameplan" coach in Casey really is night and day. His timing of Time-outs, when to play zone, when to go big/small has been the reason we're able to thrive when essentially, we never have a fully fit squad. The thought that he might not have even shown a third of his strategic cards is crazy to me.

Comment

• The first sign of clipboards/tablets shattering Triano 1.001 earns his #FIRENURSE thread in my book.

Thought for sure the minute Kyrie burned Kawhi from half court the iPad was going to be launched into the crowd.

Comment

• Beneperez wrote: View Post
                Once again I find myself here tipping my hat to Nick and shaking my head at people who call him (disgracefully I'd like to add) Jay Triano 2.0. The difference of having an in game coach in Nurse vs. "stick to the gameplan" coach in Casey really is night and day. His timing of Time-outs, when to play zone, when to go big/small has been the reason we're able to thrive when essentially, we never have a fully fit squad. The thought that he might not have even shown a third of his strategic cards is crazy to me.
                I mostly agree, but Nurse needs to do something about what's happening at the end of games. Those last 5 shots vs Boston were embarrassing.

Comment

• A thing that I like is that he listens to to his players.

After the Celtics game Lowry and Kawhi called him out , saying players are just standing around watching in the those close out ISO’s.

In both the Suns game and the Memphis game he added movement.

I’m sure he has more tricks up his slieve but you don’t want show your hand this early in the season. With more practice time coming in the second half we can expect to see some better stuff in the playoffs.

We are still one more offensive threat to going to finals in my opinion.

Comment

• So does this mean we aren't going to start a petition to get him fired? I'm starting to get confused.

Comment

• I don’t know how anyone could be critical of what he’s done so far. We’ve lost a few close games to top teams and one or two stinkers to teams we should’ve beaten. And then S.A., but we won’t talk about that one. Can’t blame him for all of them.

He’s still figuring it out, experimenting and holding on to stuff he doesn’t want to show yet.

Comment

• Raptor Jesus wrote: View Post
                        The first sign of clipboards/tablets shattering Triano 1.001 earns his #FIRENURSE thread in my book.

Thought for sure the minute Kyrie burned Kawhi from half court the iPad was going to be launched into the crowd.
                        Perhaps you might consider having a look chowder town way instead of at the raps and Nurse for a candidate to mount the always incredibly successful "whack the coach cuz im pissed about something" campaign...So perhaps you can start a #firebrad thread ?

Armed with more talent than a Las Vegas strip club Brad has guided the Chowders to 5th place overall and is living with a very public bitching session about playing time that falls directly on him to solve.

Just sayin... #FireBrad
                        Last edited by Demographic Shift; Sun Jan 20, 2019, 02:02 PM.
                        There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                        - TGO

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post
                          A thing that I like is that he listens to to his players.

After the Celtics game Lowry and Kawhi called him out , saying players are just standing around watching in the those close out ISO’s.

In both the Suns game and the Memphis game he added movement.

I’m sure he has more tricks up his slieve but you don’t want show your hand this early in the season. With more practice time coming in the second half we can expect to see some better stuff in the playoffs.

We are still one more offensive threat to going to finals in my opinion.
                          It is not early in the season. We are just about 50 games in, or more than half done the season. We also won't have that much practice time down the stretch. We have a pretty spread out schedule leading into the all-star break, but after that we have a fairly busy March with a pretty travel heavy schedule (the pre/post all-star homestand is our longest one left). So to me, we have until the all-star break to get into a real rhythm and establish some sort of playstyle that we can effectively use on a nightly basis.

Also, the Suns and Grizzlies are bad teams. Playing better against bad teams isn't necessarily a sign of anything other than those teams sucking. You have to be able to accomplish similar things against top tier competition, which is always more difficult.

The only legitimate excuse is that we've had a lot of guys in and out of the lineup with injuries.

Also, we don't need another offensive threat to get to the finals. We are as talented, or more talented, than every team in the East.

Comment

• Nurse isn’t perfect. We can’t expect perfection from him right now, he is a first time NBA head coach. So far, I like what I see from him. He gets his guys motivated, he seems to have figured out how to use most guys the way they ought to be used, and we have had some good (and some bad) execution down the stretch of close games. He seems to be a calming presence for the team, especially compared to Casey who was so freaked out at the end of games that it leaked into the team.

He’s going to make mistakes, he’s not perfect. He is going to learn from these games as much as the players are and I expect that he’ll be a better coach in May then he was in September.

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
                              Perhaps you might consider having a look chowder town way instead of at the raps and Nurse for a candidate to mount the always incredibly successful "whack the coach cuz im pissed about something" campaign...So perhaps you can start a #firebrad thread ?

Armed with more talent than a Las Vegas strip club Brad has guided the Chowders to 5th place overall and is living with a very public bitching session about playing time that falls directly on him to solve.

Just sayin... #FireBrad
                              He is in year 5/6... Hasn't done much more than Casey... Could use a few suits that fit.

Maybe you're onto something.

#FIREBRADLEYKENT

Comment

• Another thing I like in Nurse over Casey is that in timeouts, he actually coaches/encourages and the players are LISTENING. I love when he's live miked/excited and enouraging these guys like they're a 12 year old little league team

"You guys are going GREAT, keep it up, don't get DISCOURAGED, things are turning our way. Keep it up and we'll all be WINNERS and get ICE CREAM"

Comment

Working...
                                X