No announcement yet.

Everything Nick Nurse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nurse’s simple system so far is not maximizing Kawhi’s strengths. He is however relied too much to the talents that he has in his team.

Though had the balls lately to call out Kawhi which is really interesting.

Nurse is not as creative as we thought he can be but it is what it is. He has some good moments like his zone defense but was easily cracked by the Bucks.

Supporting this noob now going to the playoffs is the only choice we have. We just have to hope that he surprises us when it matters. The addition of Marc, Lin and maybe a couple more BO signing will help his cause. Marc’s pedigree would really change the referees perception of the rookie coach.

Lets rely on the talent.

Comment

• Nurse fell into a strange situation. He is a rookie head coach, got given the task to integrate a new superstar and a valuable role player into the team, had to deal with tons of injuries on the team and having to mix and match players and now has to integrate 2 new players into the team. Not an easy task for a rookie head coach on a team that has Finals aspirations. Nurse has done some things well and has made mistakes on others which is expected.

I don’t think Masai would have hired Nurse if he traded for Kawhi first, but here we are.

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
        I do. He has significantly better defensive personnel. He has Green and Kawhi on the wings, still has OG off the bench. He has an actual modern power forward at the 4 now (Siakam) and Ibaka playing his best defensive position at the 5. Wtf is the excuse? We should be #1 or #2 in defense given we were 5th last year. Instead we're 8th.
        I do like that you stick to your "Ibaka at starting C is definitely the best look" stance in spite of that look being effective for roughly two weeks at the start of the year and sliding ever since.

Maybe having the 23rd ranked defensive rebounding team is not actually a good thing? And maybe having a starting centre with a defensive rebound rate of 20% contributes slightly to that? Or maybe Ibaka's rim protection and perimeter defence is over-rated when playing with elite perimeter defenders, and his defensive rebounding issues actually cost the lineup more than his strengths add?

Nah, let's ignore that possibility, throw out the blanket descriptions of Siakam and Ibaka being better defensively in their current roles, and just assume some mystery effect that comes entirely from Nurse is causing the slippage. Now, those lineup decisions are still on Nurse, I just find it hilarious which parts of his decisions you are clearly in support of while still hurling blame at him.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Again, Nurse is not immume from criticism but it's really over the top for a rookie coach in this situation and still managing an elite record.

“A little bit, and I’m kind of being serious about it,” said Nurse. “He (Kawhi) needs to find a little bit of fire once in a while to go out there and say ‘You know what? I’m getting 35 or 40 tonight.’ You know?”

Or hit the game winner. That works too. For his part Leonard didn’t mind being held to a high standard:

“I didn’t know until right now,” he said. “But when a coach is like that, you want that motivation. They can see it. They’re looking in between the lines of the game. Even if you’re going out there and having 20 points and you win, you want a coach that motivates you and tell you what you’re still doing that’s negative on the floor that’s costing your team. I appreciate him putting that in the air.”

Kawhi re-signs here confirmed
          You can out the "what does Kawhi think about Nurse" rhetoric to rest. He still loves him ....
          If anything, Kawhi has openly said that the other players have to work within the system (that Nurse has) and put in the effort.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post
            Nurse fell into a strange situation. He is a rookie head coach, got given the task to integrate a new superstar and a valuable role player into the team, had to deal with tons of injuries on the team and having to mix and match players and now has to integrate 2 new players into the team. Not an easy task for a rookie head coach on a team that has Finals aspirations. Nurse has done some things well and has made mistakes on others which is expected.

I don’t think Masai would have hired Nurse if he traded for Kawhi first, but here we are.
            It's not an easy task for any coach. Period. I've been critical of the general approach to some things this season but the team is 42-16 despite all the trials and tribulations along the way and remains a top-10 offense and top-10 defense. He's got a lot of those wins without his best player, too. He's done just fine.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
              We now have 2 former DPOYs (Kawhi, Gasol) on our roster + 2 former NBA All-Defense members (Ibaka, Green) + 2 switch everything defenders with All-NBA potential (OG/Siakam) + 2 above average defenders (Lowry & McCaw). That's 8 good-to-great defenders.

There's been a lot of talk about how bad the offense has looked at times, but if Nurse can't cobble together an elite top 3 defense with this group, then you have to consider that a huge coaching failure. The defensive potential and versatility is through the roof.
              All it takes is one guy freelancing/not GAF and everything falls apart, no matter how good everyone else is. And I'm looking squarely at Kyle Lowry.
              "Stop eating your sushi."
              "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
              "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
              - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                All it takes is one guy freelancing/not GAF and everything falls apart, no matter how good everyone else is. And I'm looking squarely at Kyle Lowry.
                Hey, freelancers give a fuck, haha.
                Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                  Lowry's on-court DRTG: 105.4
                  Lowry's off-court DRTG: 106.6

Leonard's DRTG is 1.4 points worse away from Lowry, in spite of the bench defence generally being better than the starters all year and a good chunk of his non-Lowry minutes coming with the bench.

I don't think it's Lowry.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• This is most wins YTD for the Raptors ever and we're just pissed lol
                    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                      This is most wins YTD for the Raptors ever and we're just pissed lol
                      Just when Raptor fans were starting to feel good about ourselves, Masai raises the damn bar even higher.

Comment

Bucks are better! We're a joke! *Shakes fist at cloud*
                        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Looking forward to having everyone back and healthy after the break.

Comment

• Reading through the comments, I can't help but conclude that this is such typical RR. The guy stated time and time again that the team will be judged on (implying it is built for) the playoffs. Yet we are circa 2 months away from the playoffs and people have already come to conclusions on Nurse. Amazing.
                            Last edited by Beneperez; Wed Feb 13, 2019, 01:37 PM.

Comment

• Beneperez wrote: View Post
                              Reading through the comments, I can't help but conclude that this is such typical RR. The guy stated time and time again that the team will be judged on (implying it is built for) the playoffs. Yet we are circa 2 months away from the playoffs and people have already have come to conclusions on Nurse. Amazing.
                              I’m not one of them. Said I’d hold my judgement for the Playoffs and thats what I’m doing while the rest of RR implodes after every loss.

As for Nurse, I give him some leeway because he is a rookie head coach, he is gonna make mistakes and thats expected. Casey’s situation was different, he was coaching the team for multiple years and had the same core for all of those years and still shit the bed.

Comment

Yeah it still baffles me but after looking at other contender team forums, there's always an undercurrent of people that complain and worry most of the time. Even at the GSW forums. There's people there predicting doom in gloom in the very near future for the Warriors if they don't do this or that. Just fans being fans.

Right after I joined this board I was floored with the amount of negativity sometimes right after wins, but then I started to realize it's just how it is. It still surprises me sometimes, but I think it's just fans being fans.

Comment

Working...
                                X