Everything Nick Nurse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• inthepaint wrote: View Post
    Yeah it still baffles me but after looking at other contender team forums, there's always an undercurrent of people that complain and worry most of the time. Even at the GSW forums. There's people there predicting doom in gloom in the very near future for the Warriors if they don't do this or that. Just fans being fans.

Right after I joined this board I was floored with the amount of negativity sometimes right after wins, but then I started to realize it's just how it is. It still surprises me sometimes, but I think it's just fans being fans.
    watching Memphis was so enjoyable it's crazy. Haven't enjoyed a game like that in a while.
    Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
      watching Memphis was so enjoyable it's crazy. Haven't enjoyed a game like that in a while.
      Since the golden state game when jv went down by any chance?
      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Yeah it still baffles me but after looking at other contender team forums, there's always an undercurrent of people that complain and worry most of the time. Even at the GSW forums. There's people there predicting doom in gloom in the very near future for the Warriors if they don't do this or that. Just fans being fans.

Right after I joined this board I was floored with the amount of negativity sometimes right after wins, but then I started to realize it's just how it is. It still surprises me sometimes, but I think it's just fans being fans.
        The RR poster-Raptors relationship is very easy to explain to anybody who is a parent. You love your kids to death, but you see more flaws in them than anybody else, because you want them to be the best they can possibly be. Fans on RR are just like that... thinking about every possible way to make the team better, which sometimes appears to be focusing on the negatives like a Tiger mom.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
          Since the golden state game when jv went down by any chance?
          Not carrying about outcome and just watching our boys play was nice
          Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
            Not carrying about outcome and just watching our boys play was nice
            I was cheering for memphis lol jv career needs it more than demars...he could become a cornerstone of a team or a career journeyman at this point it's up in the air
            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Has Nurse changed the offence this season? Some of you guys notice things i dont but by and large i dont see much difference between this and last years team stylistically. If thats true, has nurse been the brains behind the offence of caseys versions of this team?

Comment

• JawsGT wrote: View Post
                Has Nurse changed the offence this season? Some of you guys notice things i dont but by and large i dont see much difference between this and last years team stylistically. If thats true, has nurse been the brains behind the offence of caseys versions of this team?
                Among other things, Nurse is at least coachingthem/motivating them in time outs. His after-time out plays have also been more unpredicatble imo

Comment

• He has us running, a lot. From Zach Harper at the Athletic

Toronto Raptors: 1st in transition efficiency | 2nd in efficiency increase | 3rd in transition frequency

The Raptors are always good at running in transition. Kawhi Leonard is highly efficient. OG Anunoby is a great lane-filler on the break. Pascal Siakam has turned into an impossible cover on the break. This sounds like a simple part of it, but a big reason the Raptors are so good is they don’t cough the ball up in transition. They turn the ball over just 10.8 percent of the time in transition. Only Charlotte (10.0 percent) turns the ball over at a lower rate. They’re the best in the league right now and they do it a lot. They don’t need to change a thing.
                  If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                    I was cheering for memphis lol jv career needs it more than demars...he could become a cornerstone of a team or a career journeyman at this point it's up in the air
                    The way Bickerstaff is jerking around JJJ doesn't make me optimistic about how he'll deal with JV, but JV may be good enough at this point to break loose given that there are so few high usage players on that squad now. They'll need his buckets in a big way.

Comment

• JawsGT wrote: View Post
                      Has Nurse changed the offence this season? Some of you guys notice things i dont but by and large i dont see much difference between this and last years team stylistically. If thats true, has nurse been the brains behind the offence of caseys versions of this team?
                      Well, certainly last year's offence was Nurse's offence. There are some new sets, there are new offensive roles (some of which I'm not a fan of), and there is an even further increased emphasis on pace and space (I do think they are overdoing it on the space part, forcing up some bad threes). But you are right, the main structure is the same as last year, since it was his offence last year.

Now, the years prior to that were quite different.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Getting out on transition with pace seems to be the focus. Especially, with Kyle whose always trying to push the pace.

The half court offense seems a bit stale. Some of that is Fred can't work a pick and roll, some of that is Kawhi being his own system and not having the chops to kick it out consistently, and some of that is Nurse is letting them play free to avoid predictability. I will look for it, but I think I saw some comments in January from a few players that they wouldn't mind a little more structure and some plays in the half court, but they haven't got the practice in.

Comment

• Mitchell Duong wrote: View Post
                          Getting out on transition with pace seems to be the focus. Especially, with Kyle whose always trying to push the pace.

The half court offense seems a bit stale. Some of that is Fred can't work a pick and roll, some of that is Kawhi being his own system and not having the chops to kick it out consistently, and some of that is Nurse is letting them play free to avoid predictability. I will look for it, but I think I saw some comments in January from a few players that they wouldn't mind a little more structure and some plays in the half court, but they haven't got the practice in.
                          Yeah I fear the "superfluid" jazz solo offence is going to continue unfortunately. There are really just 3 players that I personally notice more structure when they're in: Lowry, Ibaka and Green.

Lowry and Ibaka have a good two-men game, Green always knows his spots on both ends.

Siakam thrives on the chaos of the transition, and on individual spin drives at half court, though he's also been good at finding an open corner shooter.

Leonard's game has tremendous gravity (he always attracts a second defender), but ideally you'd see more tension on the opposing D created by him kicking out to the open man more quickly (although there's been an uptick on his assists, and hockey assists over the past few games, so I think it's coming together there)

Gasol & Lin are two players that can bring a lot of structure and efficiency to the offence, but the thing is they just got here, so the time to put it together is not exactly plentiful anymore. Lin is a good cutter/passer, Gasol can pop to the 3pt line after the pick (did a lot of that in Memphis) and find open cutters from off ball screens. There's tons of stuff you can run through Gasol.

There's tremendous talent, experience and potential on this roster, but Nurse needs to put it together, and quickly. I feel like he's got this big offensive playbook, and tons of guys more then capable of executing it, but because of injuries, guys in/out of the lineup, key new players coming in mid-season, and him being a rookie head coach, I fear he just won't have the time to put it all together and really maximize the true potential of this roster.

Time to just "feel" what the guys can do is over. He needs to drive the Lamborghini he's been given here, playoffs are around the corner.
                          Last edited by inthepaint; Sat Feb 16, 2019, 01:58 PM.

Comment

• Sorry for the double post, wanted to put this here instead of the Orlando game thread. Probably belongs in both places anyway:

This "superfluid" experimentation is starting to work against us in my opinion. It's the last week of February, we need some consistency and rhythm on the rotations.

The last 4 to 5 minutes of the 3rd was a crucial time in this game. It was a time where should be making a push to tie the game closing the quarter and open the the 4th quarter with momentum. It was a time where they were in desperate need of stops and some defensive cohesiveness. However, for a fairly long time during this crucial stretch, Nurse decided to run a quartet of Lin-McCaw-Powell-Meeks.

Like , sure these guys are all hustlers, but where is the scoring gonna come from here? What kind of communication on the defensive end you're gonna get with 4 bench guards (two of which have been with the team for less then 3 games) plus Serge? At some point you gotta decide if you just want to "try things out and experiment" or actually try to win the game.

I wonder how many contending teams out there find themselves down 10 in the middle of the 3rd and decide, "hey I'm just gonna put 4 guards that never really played together before along with my non-playmaking big here for a while and see what happens". In my opinion you do that in pre-season, not late February when the 1st seed that will give you home-court is still a possibility.

Nurse has been way too casual with some of these lineups, and March is right around the corner.

Comment

Sorry for the double post, wanted to put this here instead of the Orlando game thread. Probably belongs in both places anyway:

This "superfluid" experimentation is starting to work against us in my opinion. It's the last week of February, we need some consistency and rhythm on the rotations.

The last 4 to 5 minutes of the 3rd was a crucial time in this game. It was a time where should be making a push to tie the game closing the quarter and open the the 4th quarter with momentum. It was a time where they were in desperate need of stops and some defensive cohesiveness. However, for a fairly long time during this crucial stretch, Nurse decided to run a quartet of Lin-McCaw-Powell-Meeks.

Like , sure these guys are all hustlers, but where is the scoring gonna come from here? What kind of communication on the defensive end you're gonna get with 4 bench guards (two of which have been with the team for less then 3 games) plus Serge? At some point you gotta decide if you just want to "try things out and experiment" or actually try to win the game.

I wonder how many contending teams out there find themselves down 10 in the middle of the 3rd and decide, "hey I'm just gonna put 4 guards that never really played together before along with my non-playmaking big here for a while and see what happens". In my opinion you do that in pre-season, not late February when the 1st seed that will give you home-court is still a possibility.

Nurse has been way too casual with some of these lineups, and March is right around the corner.
                              That's the thing that's the most frustrating with Nurse. He's not even really experimenting in my opinion. He's just putting lineups out there that are obviously stupid and not going to work and calling it experimenting. Lin, McCaw, Powell and Meeks should NEVER be playing together all at once. What experimenting is that? You're never or should never use that lineup in the playoffs so I'm confused what playing them this late in the season is doing for you. And he tried to use starting Marc as the excuse for why he ended up playing that stupid lineup lol. Oh man Nurse really might be the death of us.

He NEEDS to learn to stagger minutes. Take guys out earlier so you won't ever have to play lineups like the one above. How many times do I have to say that. One or two of Pascal, Kyle, Kawhi and Gasol should be on the floor at ALL times. Like how hard is it to stagger their minutes to make sure that happens. Also Norm needs to be completely out of the lineup once Fred comes back. Even with Fred out I would play Jodie or Miller over him. He's gone back to last years Norm who played terribly and destroyed any lineup he was on. Any time Norm was in this game things went to shit.

As much as we didn't play well as a team this loss is mostly on Nurse to me. We need to have better rotations and we need to start running some actual sets. This is getting ridiculous. I better never see a lineup like the one we played today ever again. For now I'll chalk this up to the early start but it's looking more and more like this team is just going to have to win despite the coach. Hopefully we have enough talent to do that come playoff time because I have zero faith in Nurse figuring it out. Also that big lineup was terrible. I never liked the idea of that. But he also played it against a lineup that made no sense so maybe that's why. Smh. We just need to get it together and fast.
                              I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• GLF wrote: View Post
                                That's the thing that's the most frustrating with Nurse. He's not even really experimenting in my opinion. He's just putting lineups out there that are obviously stupid and not going to work and calling it experimenting. Lin, McCaw, Powell and Meeks should NEVER be playing together all at once. What experimenting is that? You're never or should never use that lineup in the playoffs so I'm confused what playing them this late in the season is doing for you. And he tried to use starting Marc as the excuse for why he ended up playing that stupid lineup lol. Oh man Nurse really might be the death of us.

He NEEDS to learn to stagger minutes. Take guys out earlier so you won't ever have to play lineups like the one above. How many times do I have to say that. One or two of Pascal, Kyle, Kawhi and Gasol should be on the floor at ALL times. Like how hard is it to stagger their minutes to make sure that happens. Also Norm needs to be completely out of the lineup once Fred comes back. Even with Fred out I would play Jodie or Miller over him. He's gone back to last years Norm who played terribly and destroyed any lineup he was on. Any time Norm was in this game things went to shit.

As much as we didn't play well as a team this loss is mostly on Nurse to me. We need to have better rotations and we need to start running some actual sets. This is getting ridiculous. I better never see a lineup like the one we played today ever again. For now I'll chalk this up to the early start but it's looking more and more like this team is just going to have to win despite the coach. Hopefully we have enough talent to do that come playoff time because I have zero faith in Nurse figuring it out. Also that big lineup was terrible. I never liked the idea of that. But he also played it against a lineup that made no sense so maybe that's why. Smh. We just need to get it together and fast.
                                I don't want to be Nurse's apologist necessarily, and I've been pretty vocal about my skepticism to their general approach this year, but a couple of points in the coaching staff's defense.

The Lin, McCaw, Meeks, Powell lineup was his bench. With Serge. One of the 'big' options he had was starting because someone had another day off.

It's also the case that he has Gasol and Lin, both of whom have been there for a very short period of time. Now, you can say, 'hey, it's two guys,' but that's 20% of your rotation if you go 10 deep and even more if you don't. It's not insignificant. Add to that he's also faced with a starting lineup that has rarely seen the floor together (and another brand new one last night). Factor in the pretty obvious issue that the Raps are clearly restricting minutes and it becomes increasingly difficult and almost impossible to manufacture 48-minute rotations in any game, let alone over the course of week - forget a month.

There seems to be an underlying assumption that the whole Leonard load management stuff is a non-issue cause they are still winning and it doesn't matter anyway cause it's the regular season but those assumptions ignore the fact that everything changes when your best player is out. Roles change. Expectations change. Rotations change. Same thing when a guy like Gasol comes in - you don't just add a couple of plays with him at the high post and sit down for celebratory beers. There's a list of dynamics at play a mile long. Nurse is dealing with all that pretty well in my view but managing the chaos they've created won't go perfect all the time.

Comment

Working...
                                X