Likes Likes:  445
Page 41 of 43 FirstFirst ... 31 39 40 41 42 43 LastLast

Thread: Everything Nick Nurse

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer DanH's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote golden wrote: View Post
    And I would take Austin Rivers as our backup PG over FVV - every day, all-day and twice on Saturdays and 20 times on Sunday. FVV went un-drafted for a reason.
    I liked this post but wanted to make it clear that I strongly disagree with this last statement.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Still all the focus on offence and none on the defence. As much as the O struggled, the defence was much worse. Constantly lost guys in transition and off simple p'n'r. Spurs way above their averages in transition and paint scoring = too many easy points = bad defence. Missing Lowry and JV screens on offence is one thing, not talking/moving on defence no matter who's on the floor is another.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer DanH's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote S.R. wrote: View Post
    Still all the focus on offence and none on the defence. As much as the O struggled, the defence was much worse. Constantly lost guys in transition and off simple p'n'r. Spurs way above their averages in transition and paint scoring = too many easy points = bad defence. Missing Lowry and JV screens on offence is one thing, not talking/moving on defence no matter who's on the floor is another.
    I think Lowry is a big defensive communicator, so they miss him there. And the transition points are directly related to terrible offence (not entirely explained by, but certainly related). Still, yes, the defence has been spotty for a while now. Though Monroe playing so much doesn't help with that.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Agree completely. There is no excuse for the Raptors giving up over 120 points in this game, none of the players who are out are all that crucial to their defense.

A team with as much wing depth as the Raptors have and some really useful defensive players like Leonard, Green, Siakam and Anunoby (and even Ibaka at the center position) should not be just "above average" in defense like they are. This team should be a top 5 defensive team and I have no idea why they aren't showing it.

I don't mean to use the "C" word, but this is far better defensive personnel than Casey ever had and he managed to have the Raptors higher up in the league for defensive efficiency. Granted, series against the Cavs proved that defense might have been a bit of paper tiger, but that's still no excuse for why they aren't better.
    That is a normal collar. Move on, find a new slant.

5. Likes S.R. liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They are related. Bad offense and lack of offensive rebounding leads to more transition scoring with the defense not set and scrambling. Your whole post screams... miss ya, JV.

7. Likes DanH liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Other Scott wrote: View Post
    Agree completely. There is no excuse for the Raptors giving up over 120 points in this game, none of the players who are out are all that crucial to their defense.

A team with as much wing depth as the Raptors have and some really useful defensive players like Leonard, Green, Siakam and Anunoby (and even Ibaka at the center position) should not be just "above average" in defense like they are. This team should be a top 5 defensive team and I have no idea why they aren't showing it.

I don't mean to use the "C" word, but this is far better defensive personnel than Casey ever had and he managed to have the Raptors higher up in the league for defensive efficiency. Granted, series against the Cavs proved that defense might have been a bit of paper tiger, but that's still no excuse for why they aren't better.
    All on Nurse... he's not prepping these guys, maybe hes not a good motivational coach, obviously something is amiss right now...

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer KeonClark's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hey is this I can find the angry mob? Havent seen the hashtag fire thread QUITE yet..
    It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

Raptors Republic Veteran Zainab's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote KeonClark wrote: View Post
    Hey is this I can find the angry mob? Havent seen the hashtag fire thread QUITE yet..
    I suggested it as a reminder, but I was fired down rather quickly

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote DanH wrote: View Post
    This is a pretty hot take right here. Nurse has this team on pace for 57 wins while missing one of Kawhi/Lowry for like half of their games (seriously, 19 of 40).

Yes, Nurse is doing a whole bunch of dumb crap. He basically told us he'd be doing that at the start of the season though. Hard to judge whether it's going to be an issue until the late season. For now, I am definitely concerned, but we've got a half season of dumb crap from Nurse (with some promising stuff thrown in) - that doesn't compare to Casey's half-decade run of consistently bad decisions.
    He also has a top 5 player in the league.

I'm going to ignore last year where we won 59 games because Lowry was abnormally healthy. The year before we won 51 games with Lowry missing 22 of them.

Replace Kawhi and Danny Green with DeMar and Carroll and how many games does that team win? Probably 60-65. I'm done making excuses for Nurse, he is not doing a good job. We can chalk it up to experimentation, but the reality is we look clueless out there and really don't seem to have much of a structured offense outside of calling isolations for Kawhi or letting FVV pound the air out of the ball worse than CoJo and Vasquez used to under Casey.

So far from what I've seen we have no upgraded our coaching, and I'd actually argue it's gotten worse. I'm not saying he should be fired or anything, but if this keeps up for the season he shouldn't be back next year.

12. Likes Zainab liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran Zainab's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

???

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer MixxAOR's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Zainab wrote: View Post
    ???

It's like parents saying "It's my fault I raised you wrong" He's calling out the team.
    First Team All Nonsense

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote MixxAOR wrote: View Post
    It's like parents saying "It's my fault I raised you wrong" He's calling out the team.
    Sort of. The Spurs pretty much blew up the game-plan (whatever TF that was), so Nurse probably is taking some responsibility for that. Was listening to both Grange and even Leo this morning saying something to the effect that "the approach needs to change a bit" with JV and Lowry out, which is indirectly calling out the coaching staff game-planning.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nurse got out-coached badly last night. The loss is absolutely on him. Whatever game plan he had was dead on arrival and somehow he continued to stick with it for the rest of the game as we got to watch every Spurs player take turns shitting on the Raptors. Textbook definition of clueless?

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote DerozansSpurs wrote: View Post
    Nurse got out-coached badly last night. The loss is absolutely on him. Whatever game plan he had was dead on arrival and somehow he continued to stick with it for the rest of the game as we got to watch every Spurs player take turns shitting on the Raptors. Textbook definition of clueless?

18. Likes DerozansSpurs liked this post
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer Fury's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

???

Kawhi Leonard's return to San Antonio and his team wasn't ready to play. Smfh. Embarassing.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer KeonClark's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Fury wrote: View Post
    Kawhi Leonard's return to San Antonio and his team wasn't ready to play. Smfh. Embarassing.
    Lost in all of this is there is actually an opponent with 12 humans game planning on the other side.

Spurs treated this like their superbowl. Most of these guys were around before and felt jilted by Kawhi. Motivated to stick it to him. DeRozan is beloved everywhere he goes and guaranteed they also wanted to win it for him. Add to that at&t center bein absolutely off the hinges and forsure the most energy they've had all year. Add to THAT the spurs have been firing on all cylinders for a couple weeks while we've sputtered.

Put it all together with a slightly too friendly raps squad, sprinkle in a few easy misses early and what do you got? They blew our doors off and the game was over already 10 minutes in.

Shit happens. The loss sucks and I prefer wins, but it has no bearing on a fully healthy raps squad in may
    It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

21. Likes A.I, Just Is liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote golden wrote: View Post
    They are related. Bad offense and lack of offensive rebounding leads to more transition scoring with the defense not set and scrambling. Your whole post screams... miss ya, JV.
    True in general, not as much what I saw last night as just blown coverages due to poor communication & rotations. Spurs were getting too many layups off things like a simple shovel pass out of the p'n'r. The defenders were there, they didn't execute.

I think missing Lowry is a big part of it, like Dan said. All the Raptors best defensive lineups this year feature Lowry and some of the differences between the same players with/without him are significant (but he still gets criticized around here for blow bys).

All that said, missing Lowry shouldn't be an excuse. This roster can field 5 plus defenders at a time whenever they want and, theoretically, I think they should be better defensively than they are.
    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

True in general, not as much what I saw last night as just blown coverages due to poor communication & rotations. Spurs were getting too many layups off things like a simple shovel pass out of the p'n'r. The defenders were there, they didn't execute.

I think missing Lowry is a big part of it, like Dan said. All the Raptors best defensive lineups this year feature Lowry and some of the differences between the same players with/without him are significant (but he still gets criticized around here for blow bys).

All that said, missing Lowry shouldn't be an excuse. This roster can field 5 plus defenders at a time whenever they want and, theoretically, I think they should be better defensively than they are.
    Yeah, I'd mostly agree with that except that we're getting shredded by physical front-court scoring big men when Ibaka plays and FVV is hit or miss on defending big guards. So depending on the nightly matchup, you could have glaring weaknesses on every possession that are being exploited mercilessly.

The obvious adjustment would be to start Delon instead of FVV, so at least you put your best foot forward defensively, but the team looks 100% invested in developing FVV, come hell or high water. Ironically, this is exactly what Casey would have done when Lowry got hurt... promote Wright (or heck, even Lorenzo Brown) into the starting lineup and have Freddy 'stay in his lane' as the backup PG.

24. Likes S.R. liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

???

That was not a normal loss for the Raptors this season...to be down big from start to finish. Clearly the Spurs really focused on game planning for this one and Raptors didn't or didn't come up with a good one. If ever a coach is to be blamed for a loss, it's one like this.

And to add gas to the flame I think Nurse should have taken all the blame upon himself. Cause you know Casey would have tried to deflect it like Nurse just did LOL

26. Likes DerozansSpurs liked this post
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote LJ2 wrote: View Post
    That was not a normal loss for the Raptors this season...to be down big from start to finish. Clearly the Spurs really focused on game planning for this one and Raptors didn't or didn't come up with a good one. If ever a coach is to be blamed for a loss, it's one like this.

And to add gas to the flame I think Nurse should have taken all the blame upon himself. Cause you know Casey would have tried to deflect it like Nurse just did LOL
    Isn't Nurse saying we didn't have our guys ready him taking blame?
    I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

28. Likes DanH, Just Is liked this post
Page 41 of 43 FirstFirst ... 31 39 40 41 42 43 LastLast

Thread Information