Likes Likes:  415
Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Everything Nick Nurse

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer KeonClark's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Truth Teller wrote: View Post
    Offense wasn't the issue. They couldn't stop Lebron at all in the playoffs.

Also every single team (barring Warriors) plays ISO at least a quarter of the time...
    Offense is literally the least of the problems. In fact..its not a problem. In game adjustments, defensive strategy, key rebounding, and composure when the lights are bright are the issues
    It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

2. Likes MACK11, inthepaint, Just Is, We Tha North liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was pretty pumped for the wildcard factor of the Euro coaches, but Nurse is a good coach. Agreed we're going to have to wait all the way until the playoffs to know if this has made a difference.

4. Likes We Tha North liked this post
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer Fury's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote KeonClark wrote: View Post
    Offense is literally the least of the problems. In fact..its not a problem. In game adjustments, defensive strategy, key rebounding, and composure when the lights are bright are the issues
    The biggest problem is mental toughness.

6. Likes MACK11 liked this post
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer Nilanka's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think it's safe to assume that the offense should actually get better. That is, having Jonas more involved, and playing in the 4th quarter.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote TRex wrote: View Post
    The biggest problem is mental toughness.
    Yep which ties into all those things. Casey did us no favors with things like miles on love, random bebe cameos, and insane waits for a timeout

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote KeonClark wrote: View Post
    Yep which ties into all those things. Casey did us no favors with things like miles on love, random bebe cameos, and insane waits for a timeout
    Watching Cleveland flame out in the Finals pissed me off one last time. 7 games vs Pacers, 7 games vs Celtics, swept by GS - but 4-0 vs Toronto for the 2nd straight year. Changing the coach was not an optics move.

10. Likes KeonClark, Nilanka, MACK11, tDotted, Just Is, Primer liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote S.R. wrote: View Post
    Watching Cleveland flame out in the Finals pissed me off one last time. 7 games vs Pacers, 7 games vs Celtics, swept by GS - but 4-0 vs Toronto for the 2nd straight year. Changing the coach was not an optics move.
    Yeah, they went 8-10 vs the rest of the league including a bottom bracket team in the playoffs...and 4-0 vs us, the 1st seed

Fuck

12. Likes MACK11 liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran Hotshot's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    You know what I'm really hoping for? I'm hoping that there was a bit of discord amongst the coaching staff, where like maybe Casey was super jealous of Nurse, so any time Nurse suggested a substitution, or some innovative inbounds play, Casey would just say "Here's a better idea: Let's do what the head coach wants to do. Who's that again? Oh that's right, that's me not you. Okay, ISO time! Give it to Demar and dribble for 23 seconds!"

Because if that's not what happened every single time, then why did we hire this guy.
    lol other scenario include:

Nurse: Hey I think we should double team Lebron, based on the number of seconds remaining in the game, he would want the ball in his hand more then passing it and the likelyhood it will be a good pass to a good shot is smaller then..

Casey: Hey Hey !!the only double double I want from you is a cup of coffee from Tim's!! Now lets let our Rookie OG continue to guard one of the best player's of all time and live with the consequences. We cant second guess ourselves! so go and pound the rock if you must!!

Nurse: okayy..your the boss (takes a shot of whiskey from the flask in his jacket) and mutters "this is gonna end ugly..."

Another one:

Nurse: Casey we need more defence from our backcourt and perimeter oriented offence to stop the Cavs comeback..

Casey: nah put Bebe in, I got a good feeling about it.
    Last edited by Hotshot; Tue Jun 12th, 2018 at 01:57 PM.

14. Likes ebrian, 2KJ, Primer liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am not against Nurse or with him until we see the team playing, but, I would really like to know why we did not hire Messina.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was pretty pumped for the wildcard factor of the Euro coaches, but Nurse is a good coach. Agreed we're going to have to wait all the way until the playoffs to know if this has made a difference.
    Culture change 2.0

Regular seasons are getting more and more meaningless. I'm tired all of a sudden

Raptors Republic Veteran Demographic Shift's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

True.. the changing of the coach had to be done....
    I hope the new jockey knows the horse itself is also a bit lame.....

Still expect some more material changes to come during the annual flea market / swap meet that is the NBA draft....
    Last edited by Demographic Shift; Tue Jun 12th, 2018 at 02:19 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No offense to Nick but unless there is a significant shuffle in the roster this team is never going to the finals.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don’t understand anyone acting like they already know what kind of coach Nurse is going to be just because he was already on the staff. Maybe he’ll be great, maybe he’ll be terrible….I have no idea. I’ve been an assistant coach at the university level. The head coach was a very close friend of mine and valued my input greatly. But the final decisions were his to make.

I disagreed with his general defensive philosophy and expressed this to him when we were preparing for our first season together. He listened to my viewpoints, but decided that he preferred his original vision. Once he made that decision it was my job to help teach and enforce his philosophy as well as I could. If I couldn’t get over the fact that he wanted to play defence differently than I did, I could have left the team. But as long as I was on the staff, it wasn’t productive for me to be trying to undermine him to get my way. It was only productive for me to be delivering the same message that he wanted to deliver.

If he had been fired and I had become the head coach I would have immediately started teaching defence differently than he was, but as long as he was the head coach it was in the best interest of the team for me to support him. My point is that just because Nurse has been on the staff for a while, it doesn’t mean we have any idea what he believes as a coach or how good a coach he is going to be.

Edit: And this is coming from someone that was hoping the Raps would hire Messina.
    Last edited by livan33; Tue Jun 12th, 2018 at 02:29 PM.

Raptors Republic Veteran Barolt's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    No offense to Nick but unless there is a significant shuffle in the roster this team is never going to the finals.
    I was on the RR podcast with Will Lou and the Writer's Write podcast with Josh Howe this morning, and said as much on both of them. This is a solid move, but the next move is the one that matters.
    twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

21. Likes ebrian, We Tha North liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    That's obvious. Let the off-season begin

Raptors Republic Superstar SkywalkerAC's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I like the continuity. Seems that Nurse has established himself as a 'builder' and we know his offense took things in the right direction. Let's keep the momentum going.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm honestly quite surprised. I truly thought Casey being fired signaled that Ujiri was looking for a big name with lots of experience to take over - I did not think he would fire Casey to turn the reins over to a first-time head coach from within the organization.

Good for Nurse, though. I suspect he'll do a good job.

25. Likes RaptorsVictim liked this post
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer MixxAOR's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

More threes from guys who shouldn't be shooting coming right up

Raptors Republic Veteran Barolt's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

People do realize that Nurse was an incredibly successful D-League coach before he became a NBA assistant, right?

That all the reasons people like Stack, also apply to Nurse?
    twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

28. Likes We Tha North liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I hope he is a genius tactician because he doesn't seem like the type of guy who can control the locker room. No offence to him but if he tells Lowry to sit his ass down, would he really listen to him? If he doesn't earn his respect as a tactician, this will be terrible.

Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread Information