Likes Likes:  417
Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Everything Nick Nurse

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Deems wrote: View Post
    I hope he is a genius tactician because he doesn't seem like the type of guy who can control the locker room. No offence to him but if he tells Lowry to sit his ass down, would he really listen to him? If he doesn't earn his respect as a tactician, this will be terrible.
    Because he looks like a nerdy, good guy? Gotta love stereotypes lol
    Kawhi Leonard is a Toronto Raptor

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer white men can't jump's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote A.I wrote: View Post
    Because he looks like a nerdy, good guy? Gotta love stereotypes lol
    Also isn't this a personnel issue as well?

If your top players refuse to be coached, maybe it's a sign you're trying to win with the wrong players.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Everything Nick Nurse

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Also isn't this a personnel issue as well?

If your top players refuse to be coached, maybe it's a sign you're trying to win with the wrong players.

Of course.

Iíve had that thought as well, about how the new coach would handle Lowry. He has clashed with his coaches before, just matured with Casey. Hopefully stays mature.

Either way Iím not too worried. Lowry has matured a lot over the years, and turned into a good floor general and he is also familiar with Nurse.
    Last edited by A.I; Tue Jun 12th, 2018 at 03:59 PM.
    Kawhi Leonard is a Toronto Raptor

4. Likes raptors999 liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote livan33 wrote: View Post
    I don’t understand anyone acting like they already know what kind of coach Nurse is going to be just because he was already on the staff. Maybe he’ll be great, maybe he’ll be terrible….I have no idea. I’ve been an assistant coach at the university level. The head coach was a very close friend of mine and valued my input greatly. But the final decisions were his to make.

I disagreed with his general defensive philosophy and expressed this to him when we were preparing for our first season together. He listened to my viewpoints, but decided that he preferred his original vision. Once he made that decision it was my job to help teach and enforce his philosophy as well as I could. If I couldn’t get over the fact that he wanted to play defence differently than I did, I could have left the team. But as long as I was on the staff, it wasn’t productive for me to be trying to undermine him to get my way. It was only productive for me to be delivering the same message that he wanted to deliver.

If he had been fired and I had become the head coach I would have immediately started teaching defence differently than he was, but as long as he was the head coach it was in the best interest of the team for me to support him. My point is that just because Nurse has been on the staff for a while, it doesn’t mean we have any idea what he believes as a coach or how good a coach he is going to be.

Edit: And this is coming from someone that was hoping the Raps would hire Messina.
    Nice post. But, was your friend's defensive philosophy successful. If so, no reason to question him. Or did it get exposed in exactly the same way, year after year? At some point, the onus would be on you to speak up with a strong voice if you've got a better approach that can help the team.... which Nurse clearly did have for the Raps offense. Especially if you aspire to be a head coach and a leader.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote A.I wrote: View Post
    Of course.

Iíve had that thought as well, about how the new coach would handle Lowry. He has clashed with his coaches before, just matured with Casey. Hopefully stays mature.

Either way Iím not too worried. Lowry has matured a lot over the years, and turned into a good floor general and he is also familiar with Nurse.
    Lowry respecting Nurse probably swayed the decision away from the other choices, like Messina and the Lithuanian guy. Casey was and is a crappy coach, weird rotations, slow adjustments, no in-game strategy. Anybody will be an improvement. Predict a fire sale on Griffin, Drummond and a chucking guard taking over, blowing leads with a crappy scrambling disorganized defence leading to wide open threes in Detroit. Casey good riddance

7. Likes MACK11, Primer liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran Scraptor's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Beagle wrote: View Post
    One thing that I think bears repeating is that there is no logical reason to conclude the team needs a major makeover.
    I'm curious. What would you consider a logical reason to conclude the team needs a major makeover?

Losing 10 in a row to the Cavs isn't enough data? Being the only playoff team to not win a game against them? Getting swept by them and then seeing them get swept by the Warriors? Getting swept 3/4 years, twice by lower seeds?

Casey was not a good coach but he's hardly the sole factor in our playoff futility. Minor tweaks aren't going to solve much. A major makeover is absolutely needed. But whether it is possible is another thing entirely.

That all said... I like Nurse and if we can't get anything done rosterwise at least we are rewarding someone deserving.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer Nilanka's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote golden wrote: View Post
    Nice post. But, was your friend's defensive philosophy successful. If so, no reason to question him. Or did it get exposed in exactly the same way, year after year? At some point, the onus would be on you to speak up with a strong voice if you've got a better approach that can help the team.... which Nurse clearly did have for the Raps offense. Especially if you aspire to be a head coach and a leader.
    One can speak up, but it's the Head Coach who always has the final say.

Raptors Republic All-Star DogeLover1234's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Scraptor wrote: View Post
    I'm curious. What would you consider a logical reason to conclude the team needs a major makeover?

Losing 10 in a row to the Cavs isn't enough data? Being the only playoff team to not win a game against them? Getting swept by them and then seeing them get swept by the Warriors? Getting swept 3/4 years, twice by lower seeds?

Casey was not a good coach but he's hardly the sole factor in our playoff futility. Minor tweaks aren't going to solve much. A major makeover is absolutely needed. But whether it is possible is another thing entirely.

That all said... I like Nurse and if we can't get anything done rosterwise at least we are rewarding someone deserving.
    I mean its not sexy, but leaning on the young guys more and expecting them to step up is the best way to immediately improve tbh. In a long term approach I think you can make a good case for trading some combination of Lowry/DeRozan/JV/Ibaka, obviously it depends how much value you can get for them though.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote MixxAOR wrote: View Post
    More threes from guys who shouldn't be shooting coming right up
    JV is gonna take way more 3s

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
    "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote MACK11 wrote: View Post

Shot 40% in the season and Playoffs, go ahead JV.

13. Likes We Tha North liked this post
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer KeonClark's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

JV is gonna become Marc Gasol
    It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer white men can't jump's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not necessarily a bad thing if he can keep his % up. I don't think we'll be seeing him taking like 5 threes a game. He averaged 1 attempt per game last year. He can take more than that if he is still shooting well.

16. Likes We Tha North liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran Hotshot's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Deems wrote: View Post
    I hope he is a genius tactician because he doesn't seem like the type of guy who can control the locker room. No offence to him but if he tells Lowry to sit his ass down, would he really listen to him? If he doesn't earn his respect as a tactician, this will be terrible.
    We dont really know how he manages a locker room. Why would Lowry start giving him hassle now after buying into the new system and becoming more efficient PG?! Lowry got 2 more years to go and probably will be in another's team uniform before his contract is done.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

19. Likes Nilanka, Raptor Jesus liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran JimiCliff's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote rocwell wrote: View Post

If this hire gets us Sterner back, it's an automatic win.
    "Stop eating your sushi."
    "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
    "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
    - Jack Armstrong

21. Likes Hotshot, TheWaterboy liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star Mindlessness's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nurse's assistant rumours from RealGM.

"More and more insisting rumors that they want Sergio Scariolo or Andrea Trincheri main to be assistants to the Toronto Raptors under Nurse. The announcement should be made in the coming weeks."

Raptors Republic Rookie Since95's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Much of what I believe has already been stated, but I'll add my two cents.

Nick Nurse is a good basketball coach - all evidence supports this: coaching competitively since 23, coaching teams at multiple levels, coaching in different leagues, etc. Whether or not he is the right coach is yet to be seen, but I'm thrilled he has this opportunity. It is important to reiterate that an assistant coaching position is very different from a head coaching position (as has been covered nicely in previous posts). We cannot presume to know anything definitive about his systems or philosophies as he didn't have the opportunity to implement them with the full weight of office. Continuity is a good thing in sports - the Raptors have climbed the rankings year after year with continuity in mind. That said, the only continuity I am sure of is one of familiarity - Nurse has already proven his value to the Raptors. I don't believe continuity will apply to how the team functions. Masai knew the flaws of our old system, hence the firing of Casey. It only makes sense that Nurse pitched new ideas during his interviews which earned him his opportunity.

24. Likes KeonClark, Puffer, Nilanka, slaw, We Tha North liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter Dr Hannibal Lecter's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I love it how everyone seems 2 b on board with this hire..well not this guy,same s@#t, they should of just kept Casey..WTF..what a load Big Garbage..Me thinking maybe it's time someone makes a thread of Firing Masai Ujiri for me his out stayed his tenure..
    "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
    My kitchen is always open to friends"

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer Fury's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Mindlessness wrote: View Post
    Nurse's assistant rumours from RealGM.

"More and more insisting rumors that they want Sergio Scariolo or Andrea Trincheri main to be assistants to the Toronto Raptors under Nurse. The announcement should be made in the coming weeks."
    So my boy Rex is gone?

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    You know what I'm really hoping for? I'm hoping that there was a bit of discord amongst the coaching staff, where like maybe Casey was super jealous of Nurse, so any time Nurse suggested a substitution, or some innovative inbounds play, Casey would just say "Here's a better idea: Let's do what the head coach wants to do. Who's that again? Oh that's right, that's me not you. Okay, ISO time! Give it to Demar and dribble for 23 seconds!"

Because if that's not what happened every single time, then why did we hire this guy.
    I read your wish ( hope ) may have come true ..

Multiple NBA sources will tell you the one-time mentor and his long-time assistant have not been on affable terms in the midst of Torontoís coaching-staff shakeup. Maybe nobodyís been in a good mood in Raptorland since the season came to its crushing end.

ďNo love lost between íem,Ē said one basketball lifer who would know, speaking of Casey and Nurse

Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread Information