Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd ranked offense though.

Comment

• Top 10 is okay, but with this group it should be top 5. Still early in the season and guys are getting to know each other. Just irks me that Boston is at the top right out of the gate.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
        Top 10 is okay, but with this group it should be top 5. Still early in the season and guys are getting to know each other. Just irks me that Boston is at the top right out of the gate.
        They're also 29th in offense, lol.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
          Top 10 is okay, but with this group it should be top 5. Still early in the season and guys are getting to know each other. Just irks me that Boston is at the top right out of the gate.
          The most important stat is the point differential.Toronto is second to Denver in this stat.They also haven’t been beat this year.

Comment

• I haven't watched any game in person but, from what I see on TV, the best thing about Nurse so far for me is his on-court composure. I never liked that Casey was always standing and pacing up and down the sideline even in the middle of 20-point blowouts. Nurse seems to be a lot more laid back, which I think is a much better in-game posture to take as a head coach - if the head coach always looks like he's fretting and panicking, then it carries on to the team.

Anyway, no idea what he's like behind closed doors but this is just a small thing that has stood out to me that might be a big thing....

Comment

• So far I didn't have any real head scratching moments regarding defense. When it's Rose or Teague: go under the screen, dare them to shoot (they got hot but strategy was right). Star players get defended by our best defenders (no PJ Tucker on a bench or James Johnson not playing or Vasquez defending Tyreke Evans lol)
              Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                I haven't watched any game in person but, from what I see on TV, the best thing about Nurse so far for me is his on-court composure. I never liked that Casey was always standing and pacing up and down the sideline even in the middle of 20-point blowouts. Nurse seems to be a lot more laid back, which I think is a much better in-game posture to take as a head coach - if the head coach always looks like he's fretting and panicking, then it carries on to the team.

Anyway, no idea what he's like behind closed doors but this is just a small thing that has stood out to me that might be a big thing....
                Might've been Zach Lowe who eluded to this distinction last year, contrasting Casey's in-game demeanor to Brad Steven's. That personality rubs off on the players, especially in the heat of the moment.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                  So far I didn't have any real head scratching moments regarding defense. When it's Rose or Teague: go under the screen, dare them to shoot (they got hot but strategy was right). Star players get defended by our best defenders (no PJ Tucker on a bench or James Johnson not playing or Vasquez defending Tyreke Evans lol)
                  Was a breath of fresh air NOT seeing Miles guard Love in the opener

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                    Might've been Zach Lowe who eluded to this distinction last year, contrasting Casey's in-game demeanor to Brad Steven's. That personality rubs off on the players, especially in the heat of the moment.
                    The other aspect of it is this: what happens when he does go crazy and starts yelling and ranting? It has way more impact. You can't always be at 11 on the meter or else people stop paying attention to you.

It was a double-edged sword with Casey on that respect: he got 100% out of this players almost every game, which is hard to do, but the downside was that there wasn't an extra gear when they needed it.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                      The other aspect of it is this: what happens when he does go crazy and starts yelling and ranting? It has way more impact. You can't always be at 11 on the meter or else people stop paying attention to you.

It was a double-edged sword with Casey on that respect: he got 100% out of this players almost every game, which is hard to do, but the downside was that there wasn't an extra gear when they needed it.
                      This is a great observation. Something I've noticed in the Casey era was he was always yelling out instructions whether it be to push the tempo or a play call. So far this season the players are doing the communicating themselves. Kyle, Green, Serge are all talking on the floor. Not sure if they always did this and I'm just noticing it now or if they are just doing it a lot more now.

Comment

• Surprisingly the only thing Nurse is doing differently from Casey so far is the opposite of what people expected him to do. People thought he was gonna play JV 30mpg and make him a focal point, instead he's had the balls to try Ibaka at the starting 5 instead (in the regular season and it's paying dividends.

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
                          Surprisingly the only thing Nurse is doing differently from Casey so far is the opposite of what people expected him to do. People thought he was gonna play JV 30mpg and make him a focal point, instead he's had the balls to try Ibaka at the starting 5 instead (in the regular season and it's paying dividends.
                          The other thing is that Nurse is calling actual 'plays' in crunch time, instead of going DeMar/Kyle ISO with 9:57 left in the game. Surprisingly, Nick is not trying to 'nurse' home a lead too early. Ba-dump.

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
                            Surprisingly the only thing Nurse is doing differently from Casey so far is the opposite of what people expected him to do. People thought he was gonna play JV 30mpg and make him a focal point, instead he's had the balls to try Ibaka at the starting 5 instead (in the regular season and it's paying dividends.
                            Well that's really not the only thing.

Comment

• https://www.si.com/nba/2018/10/25/ra...iri-kyle-lowry

His inventive mind was perfect for the Vipers’ experimental laboratory. “What I loved about him was he was coming to us with ideas and we were slowing him down,” says Morey, Houston’s GM. Nurse created a shooting device to help players improve their form and ditched the number system to briefly implement Chip Kelly-style play-calling posters. He took a razor to RGV’s shot selection, leaving only 5% of the Vipers’ attempts coming as a non-painted area two-pointer. For a stretch, he sent four players to the offensive glass on every possession, then experimented with having his entire lineup retreat the moment a jumper was hoisted. “I just don’t see the big deal of it not working. And what if it does work?” Nurse says. “You’re scratching these itches that you got, and what if it does work? I can tell you a million stories of things that really shouldn’t have.”
                              Nurse led the Vipers to the title in 2012–13, which led Raptors coach Dwane Casey to hire Nurse as a Toronto assistant. Nurse’s influence helped open up the offense, and his dry sense of humor eased tensions in huddles. “He finds moments of levity in the middle of a very tense part of the game,” says David Gale, a former Raptors video coordinator.

Comment

• I had no idea Nurse coached Rodman, lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X