Everything 2018 NBA draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grindhouse wrote: View Post
    Canadians are too conservative by nature. If the number pick was avail and we need to trade a future first derozan and a bench mob.
    I'm not sure there was any player besides Ayton, or Doncic that I would've traded DeRozan for...

Comment

• and going forward, I hope we never trade another #1 again...unless we have two. Drafts aren't as much fun when you are waiting for a guy to drop to you.

Comment

• 3 hours ago – via Twitter
        ESPN Los Angeles: “From what I am being told…he’s made it very, very clear that he’s looking to go to Los Angeles to play for the Lakers and he does not care about the $219 million super max he could sign.” – @stephenasmith on Kawhi Leonard

It’s Screaming A. smith....but still if Leonard gets into LA this year there is next to no chance that LA is a trading partner for the Raps.
        There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
        - TGO

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
          3 hours ago – via Twitter
          ESPN Los Angeles: “From what I am being told…he’s made it very, very clear that he’s looking to go to Los Angeles to play for the Lakers and he does not care about the $219 million super max he could sign.” – @stephenasmith on Kawhi Leonard

It’s Screaming A. smith....but still if Leonard gets into LA this year there is next to no chance that LA is a trading partner for the Raps.
          Sure there is. It'll just be finding Kawhi running buddies or taking a bribe to send improvements over Luol Deng their way. Probably both. Like, DeMar for Deng, one of Ingram or Kuzma, and a future first-rounder. That sort of thing.

Comment

• magoon wrote: View Post
            Sure there is. It'll just be finding Kawhi running buddies or taking a bribe to send improvements over Luol Deng their way. Probably both. Like, DeMar for Deng, one of Ingram or Kuzma, and a future first-rounder. That sort of thing.
            Lakers are most likely going to be shipping either Kuzma or Ingram to the Spurs (possibly both) which will thin out their prospect pool for a guy like DeMar. I suspect the trade they want is Kawhi and then they'll use free agency to help improve the team. Like bringing in George if Lebron doesn't want to go to LA.

Wouldn't be surprised if the Lakers stretch/waive Deng so that they can get even more cap space.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
              Lakers are most likely going to be shipping either Kuzma or Ingram to the Spurs (possibly both) which will thin out their prospect pool for a guy like DeMar. I suspect the trade they want is Kawhi and then they'll use free agency to help improve the team. Like bringing in George if Lebron doesn't want to go to LA.

Wouldn't be surprised if the Lakers stretch/waive Deng so that they can get even more cap space.
              Pelinka said they had no problem waiting until the 2019 off-season to make their moves, which is what I would do. They're holding all the cards on Kawhi now.

Comment

Yeah, but will they have any assets left after they trade for Kawhi?

I'm not sure the Lakers can pull off a Kawhi trade anyway. Not sure the Spurs would have enough interest in any of their young pieces. Guys like Ingram and Kuzma look like they offer great value in a DeMar trade, but not so much for Kawhi. And as much as LA has been bad for years, they don't really have a plethora of highly touted youngsters to offer. Ingram, Kuzma and Ball are pretty much all they have (Randle is a RFA and only other good young piece they have rights to). And any future 1st rounders diminish in value if Kawhi is going back because they are not likely to be high picks, probably late lotto at best.

If I'm the Spurs and the Lakers have the best package, I still wait for the trade deadline, so that LA's 2019 first rounder is likely going to be as bad as possible, and only make the trade if they give that up unprotected.

*And then if you're LA, why not just wait til you can get him for "free" with cap space in 2019. This whole situation is pretty bad for everyone involved. Kawhi made it hard for the Spurs to get value. The Spurs are shrewd and not likely to make a deal they don't like. LA has no incentive to give up significant assets for a piece they can get in free agency.
                Last edited by white men can't jump; Sat Jun 23, 2018, 12:59 PM.

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
                  YES!

We've moved past Colangelo, I agree. We're now a team that actually wins games, and people are grumpy about that. Think about the expectation you have now: "We should be a championship team!" 6 years ago, before Masai, our aspirations were "Maybe it'd be nice to not suck every night?"
                  Masai is good, everyone knows that. The bar is raised. If he's a great GM like most think then the fair expectation is great things, just like Ainge does in Boston.

Comment

First and foremost loved your post highlighting that Danny Ainge is akin to a trust fund baby lunching off that one, never to be repeated, confluence of events that allowed Billy King to sell the family farm for some magic beans from Chowdertown. The old goaltender adage.. better to be lucky than good is what should be put on Trader Dannys tombstone.

Secondly... I am lighting candles at St. Mikes Cathedral on a nightly basis hoping that the Spurs wait it out and hold on to Leonard and that Paul George stays, for this year anyway, in OKC because if they stay there is hope to move DD to the Lakers. Not a surety but hope. If they move to LA I just don't see the Lakers taking on DD.

If both Leonard and George stay with their respective teams James is highly unlikely to go to LA. If the Lakers go 0 for 3 then regardless of all the be patient.. keep your powder dry advice Magic and Rob P can't go back to the fan base in LA and say "trust me we will get somebody next year". There will be blowback.

Will Demar make them better than they are now. For sure. Is he the answer. No. Howver.... as long as there are GMS under fan pressure or job pressure to make changes there will be trades. For Magic is it plausible to bring back a hometown boy to "pivot" the franchise to future greatness a sellable story. Damn straight. And we will still have space to get 2 franchise players next year by ridding ourselves of the toxic long term Deng deal.

I am hoping that that both George and Leonard stay put and that opens up the door for an opportunity for Ujiri to make a move.... or two. Maybe in LA.. Maybe in Minny.. Maybe somewhere else.

My view is that whacking the coach wan't and isn't the entire answer.
                    Last edited by Demographic Shift; Sun Jun 24, 2018, 03:39 PM.
                    - TGO

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
                      My view is that whacking the coach wan't and isn't the entire answer.
                      Agreed. Because it came 3 years too late and Brad Stevens didn’t walk through that door.

That’s what you meant to say, right? :-)

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                        Agreed. Because it came 3 years too late and Brad Stevens didn’t walk through that door.

That’s what you meant to say, right? :-)
                        Mmm No. But a good chirp !

On Casey being a bum and reprobate. It took roughly a couple three weeks for DC to find a new long term gig. To re-iterate... Casey wasn't and isn't the only one to who should have a new area code. Similar to the VP of Sales who takes two behind the left ear after s/he misses a personally guaranteed forecast so too does Casey go out on his shield after missing expectations. Its the way of Bismarkian realpolitik or as Al Davis would say... just win baby. They didn't.

Lots of shared culpability to go around after that debacle with the NewLooks. You can play the "what if" game forever but that choke job in game 2 was inexcusable. The players wear that as well as the coach.

Love Demar.
                        Love the loyalty.
                        Love the forthrightness.
                        Love the work ethic.
                        Love the way he and Kyle have lifted what was once a dog with fleas to one of the top 10 ten teams in the Association.

BUT

Love winning more.

And after 3 runs at it and and coming up short ...... its time sell and try something new.

BTW.. you and Brad should get a hotel room
                        Last edited by Demographic Shift; Sun Jun 24, 2018, 05:00 PM.
                        - TGO

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                          First, your stance is an understandable one and you make some great point. I get it 100%.

Zion really hasn't proven much, you're right, because the competition is far inferior. However, there is a lot of data and film on past successes and failures similar to him. That data, along with the ball Zion must play before next year's draft, the interviews, the workouts, etc. is significant enough to make an educated guess; an extrapolation out five-ten years. Doncic is doing real things against real pros right now. However, that level he's on is inferior to the NBA. We know he has the mind and skills for the NBA but the body is the question and there are some warning signs about his ceiling because of that. There are real examples of guys who came before him who hit the ceiling due to the same deficiencies. So it's a guessing game based on data and case studies. Zion comes with a lot more mystery. He leaves far more to the imagination and a human's imagination can be a best friend or a worst enemy. If Zion hits he can reach levels that Doncic's physical limitations will prevent him from reaching. That's your answer.
                          First progress report on Mr. DNA... aka Zion Williamson

[IMG] [/IMG]
                          - TGO

Comment

Working...
                          X