Everything 2018 NBA draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• golden wrote: View Post
    If people are wondering why nothing happened for the Raps, I think you need to look at the Clippers. They're a key team for us as a trade partner or at least as a second bidder for Lowry and Derozan to get a good return on our most valuable assets. They did nothing last night, so it looks like they're waiting on Kawhi, so we've got to wait on them. The other likely trade partners are the Grizz and Wolves (who didn't have a high pick last night.) Dallas was another one speculated (hoped for) on here, but it looks like they really had no interest in Derozan and really wanted to go young with Doncic. Good for them.

I believe it's still possible to trade new draftees after the draft moratorium (like when Wiggins was traded for Love), so we could see still some movement yet.
    I also dont think you can ignore that no players were moved during the draft. That seems quite odd. I imagine to a certain extent teams fall in love with a guy in the lotto, but it seems real curious to me nobody could get a deal done, not just masai.

Was this supposed to be a real good draft ?

Comment

• I wanted to get into the draft as much as anyone. But player-for-pick deals weren't happening. If no one is trading for players, it's impossible to trade for picks.
      twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
        Last thing, the Raps didn't have a 1st this year because of DeMarre Carroll - another GREAT Masai signing.

They have 2 players on this team in Ibaka and Powell who have immovable contracts signed by you know who.

Also, Casey is no great coach but he's not the reason they lost to the Cavs. It's not his fault that his top players keeps choking in the playoffs. Not his fault that that the Raptors missed 11 straight shots to finish the 4th in Game 1. And most of those shots were tip in and wide open 3.

He used him as a scapegoat because he can't fire himsel or the players.

The heat should be on him NOW.
        I hated the Carroll deal too.. but that pick ended up being #29. Is that guy going to be a star in the making? Or anyone that was drafted after him?

When the Carroll deal went down I didn't think we had a good team. Was expecting somewhere around a 45 win team.. and that would have gotten us like the 16/17th pick in the draft. But 29 is pretty much a waste. Plus the depth in this draft seems really week.

Casey was so bad man. Miles on Love for a few possessions. Bebe for 2 minutes? No double teaming on Lebron in that final play? Lots of boneheaded decisions.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
          You can't get much value at the deadline.. even harder than the draft or the summer. The only option would have been to not resign Lowry or Ibaka the summer before.

I said this somewhere else.. the best time to get draft picks for your stars is before they get their fat raise. Not after.
          Ugh.. the Raptors fanbase would have exploded, If, after a year where they had a then-franchise record number of wins, brought in Tucker and Ibaka, had Lowry injured at the end of the season etc, the Raptors had then let Tucker, Lowry, and Ibaka walk away for nothing, leaving the Raptors With Derozan, Valanciunas, and a brunch of untested 'kids'.

The 'tank faction would have been upset because the assets traded to acquire Ibaka and Tucker could have been used to accelerate the rebuild etc.

The 'don't tank' faction would have pointed out all of the positive steps gained, the issues with integrating two new key pieces into the rotation, etc etc

Oh.. wait.. we had those arguments!

So.. we were told that the Raptors were going to change the system, incorporate more ball movement etc. And we got a system with more ball movement, more three point attempts- and it produced a 59 win season, first place in the division, and actual media in the US talking about the Raptors.

Comment

• DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
            I also dont think you can ignore that no players were moved during the draft. That seems quite odd. I imagine to a certain extent teams fall in love with a guy in the lotto, but it seems real curious to me nobody could get a deal done, not just masai.

Was this supposed to be a real good draft ?
            I think its the Kawhi and Lebron factor. Teams don't want to alter their payroll in any significant way until they know more about what Lebron and the Spurs are going to do. The draft doesn't seem that impressive to me. But I only really started paying attention yesterday.

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
              So I guess that was Ujiri response to the counter offers that came his way over the past few days.
              Perhaps but that can only be the excuse so many times. He's gone to the well many, many times. The well has to be almost dry.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                Perhaps but that can only be the excuse so many times. He's gone to the well many, many times. The well has to be almost dry.
                Masai traded Vasquez for cap space and two picks (one of them got us OG). Masai is very capable of making decisions and getting good deals. He's done it before. We don't know the type of deals he was being offered and if we did we might be thankful he passed on them.

Teams didn't want to give up payroll. What's the man supposed to do? Beg?

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                  A trade always involves a degree of measured risk. What your giving up to what your going to get.....but for certain....A shit sandwhich trade proposal today is the same as a shit sandwhich trade offer yesterday. You just have to pass.

Still time to go. If George and Lebron and Leonard don’t move teams...MUs cell phone will ring.
                  There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                  - TGO

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                    DanH was leading the charge for the trade this and that for that draft pick. Nothing happened and he's all of a sudden like, see i told you so, save your player movement later. SMH.
                    What? When did I say I told you so? I explicitly said I was surprised by the lack of movement league wide. And I'm saying that as much as I find it disappointing that DeRozan didn't move, I hold out hope he will, because nobody moved at the draft, so any player movement league wide is clearly coming later - with the obvious spark points being the LBJ and Kawhi decisions. And that it's silly to think that Masai didn't want to trade DeMar and is just going to do nothing all summer with this draft as evidence, unless you think every GM in the league is not going to do anything all summer with the draft as evidence.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                      What? When did I say I told you so? I explicitly said I was surprised by the lack of movement league wide. And I'm saying that as much as I find it disappointing that DeRozan didn't move, I hold out hope he will, because nobody moved at the draft, so any player movement league wide is clearly coming later - with the obvious spark points being the LBJ and Kawhi decisions. And that it's silly to think that Masai didn't want to trade DeMar and is just going to do nothing all summer with this draft as evidence, unless you think every GM in the league is not going to do anything all summer with the draft as evidence.
                      I was right with Dan on the charge for a DeMar trade, and I'm in the same boat. It's hard to expect Masai to make a trade when he only has players to trade and no one is interested in trading for players.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                        We're freaking out Dan, and we look to you to tell us everything will be OK

9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• I would say there's no reason to worry - yet. This could've been an opportunity to jump-start the summer, it looks like that opportunity was never really there, and hopefully that show up once free agency starts.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                            I hated the Carroll deal too.. but that pick ended up being #29. Is that guy going to be a star in the making? Or anyone that was drafted after him.
                            Once you are past 25 it’s arguably better just to be drafting in the top of the second round. The contracts can be negotiated at that point. The Carroll deal wasn’t horrible in retrospect.

And anyone saying the Carroll signing was bad has their head up their ass. Masai couldn’t have predicted how bad the injury was and the fallout was going to be. Carroll looked like a legit signing until he was hampered by the knee injury.

Same goes for Serg. Most of us wanted Serg for years, turns out he’s not the greatest fit... or maybe he just wasn’t used right by Casey.

Comment

• Player movement will happen once George and LeBron go, until then teams are holding out hope.

Comment

• I think the other issue with player movement, is what conference the stars end up. If Kawhi, Lebron and George really do go to the Lakers the East is a little more open. If some of the players or other starts get traded to the east, that might change the mind of a few GMs. One maybe being Masai.

If we are competitive in the east, maybe a couple tweaks and see how the new coach works with our team.

If we see a superteam in the east, maybe we blow it up for younger players and picks.

Comment

Working...
                                X