Height in shoes: 6-6
    Weight: 180 pounds
    Wingspan: 6/11 ½
    Standing reach: 8-8

I like it!

Comment

rightsideup wrote: View Post
      What about Jacob the Knicks pick
      Why do they do that when that have the Unicorn? Not to mention Porter Jr. or someone else who is interesting may slide given how wild things may get if someone in the top three or five with the Kings holding the #2. I mean who knows what kind of screw up they may make and the ripple it may have.

Comment

People need to let go of the Doncic idea unless they're happy with giving up Lowry or DD and taking back Chandler Parsons and his $50M in dead weight over the next two seasons... Assuming Doncic is even there at #4.

Comment

I would love to see a big trade with one of Lowry or DeRozan. They both have been great for the franchise, but I think they have jumped the shark here in Raptor Land. It would almost surely mean a step back for a year or two, I am OK with that if it means a geater hope of success.
          Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
            I would love to see a big trade with one of Lowry or DeRozan. They both have been great for the franchise, but I think they have jumped the shark here in Raptor Land. It would almost surely mean a step back for a year or two, I am OK with that if it means a geater hope of success.
            My main question would be why keep this going at all?

Kyle will be 32 this season and could fall off at any time. He chokes in the playoffs.

DeMar is 29 this season and if they go through a reload and he's spared then by the time they're ready to have another serious go at it he's probably 31 or 32 and about to fall off.

There is nothing they can do right now to close the widening gap on the Celtics and the 76ers will be a lot better even if they do nothing other than select someone with their pick.

This is the moment when Ujiri earns his money and makes or breaks his current reputation.

Comment

Hmm... I like Shai as a player. He definitely fits the idea of positionless basketball, which is something the 905 is all about. We should assume that's the future philosophy of the Raps. But wasn't the Raps problem that Serge didn't show up? That they started Serge and JV at the same time? That they basically started 2 centers, which put them at a significant disadvantage on defense? How does drafting Shai resolve that? The current lineup lacks a legit starting 4 who can consistently switch onto bigger SFs. If Pascal starts, then the bench needs a PF who fills that role. Also, they only have one SF (OG) who can guard his position and switch onto bigger players consistently. CJ is great coming off the bench, but when he's out there guarding people during crunch time in the playoffs that's a problem. Again, how does Shai resolve that issue?

I don't care if they buy a pick in the 2nd, sign an undrafted FA, or get into the first round somehow, if they don't resolve their 2 primary issues, that will be cause for concern. Everything else is secondary to me. They need a legit modern 4 who can switch onto bigger 3s and a longer, defensive wing not afraid to be physical. After that, whatever. I can accept trading one of their key players. I would slightly disagree, but the current team was meant to be broken down in 3 years. If they decide to go in a different direction after year one, I think it's a bit early, but understandable.

Again, Shai is a great player, but how does he resolve anything? Even if they trade Lowry, he would be the 3rd or 4th lead guard on the roster (if they can keep FVV). What am I not seeing here?

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                People need to let go of the Doncic idea unless they're happy with giving up Lowry or DD and taking back Chandler Parsons and his $50M in dead weight over the next two seasons... Assuming Doncic is even there at #4.
                That's the entire idea, right from the get-go. DeMar for Parsons and 4 (and maybe an extra 2nd or something).
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

My main question would be why keep this going at all?

Kyle will be 32 this season and could fall off at any time. He chokes in the playoffs.

DeMar is 29 this season and if they go through a reload and he's spared then by the time they're ready to have another serious go at it he's probably 31 or 32 and about to fall off.

There is nothing they can do right now to close the widening gap on the Celtics and the 76ers will be a lot better even if they do nothing other than select someone with their pick.

This is the moment when Ujiri earns his money and makes or breaks his current reputation.
                  Lowry chokes in the playoffs? That's a little out of date. He has historically struggled shooting in the playoffs, but still been the key reason for any playoff success (the team has been solid to great with him on the floor every year, truly terrible with him on the bench, every single year in the playoffs). And this year that "struggled shooting" stuff (which sure looks driven by being over-worked in-season considering he magically was way better in the year where he played reasonable minutes) disappeared - he put up a monstrous 66% TS% in the playoffs this year.

I don't buy that there is that much of a gap between us and BOS/PHI unless LeBron goes to one of them. But remove Lowry and there dang sure will be.

I don't mind tearing it all down, in which case both DD and Lowry should be moved. But it's not the only option, and running it back (sans-DD) makes some sense too, then look to pivot next summer if appropriate.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                    Hmm... I like Shai as a player. He definitely fits the idea of positionless basketball, which is something the 905 is all about. We should assume that's the future philosophy of the Raps. But wasn't the Raps problem that Serge didn't show up? That they started Serge and JV at the same time? That they basically started 2 centers, which put them at a significant disadvantage on defense? How does drafting Shai resolve that? The current lineup lacks a legit starting 4 who can consistently switch onto bigger SFs. If Pascal starts, then the bench needs a PF who fills that role. Also, they only have one SF (OG) who can guard his position and switch onto bigger players consistently. CJ is great coming off the bench, but when he's out there guarding people during crunch time in the playoffs that's a problem. Again, how does Shai resolve that issue?

I don't care if they buy a pick in the 2nd, sign an undrafted FA, or get into the first round somehow, if they don't resolve their 2 primary issues, that will be cause for concern. Everything else is secondary to me. They need a legit modern 4 who can switch onto bigger 3s and a longer, defensive wing not afraid to be physical. After that, whatever. I can accept trading one of their key players. I would slightly disagree, but the current team was meant to be broken down in 3 years. If they decide to go in a different direction after year one, I think it's a bit early, but understandable.

Again, Shai is a great player, but how does he resolve anything? Even if they trade Lowry, he would be the 3rd or 4th lead guard on the roster (if they can keep FVV). What am I not seeing here?
                    Their problem was never that JV and Serge started together. It seemed to be what the coaching staff thought the problem was, which was problematic, as when they "fixed" that "problem" they completely scuttled their chances to actually compete against the Cavs. The pairing ran up a -5 net rating against the Cavs. The team as a whole ran up a -11.4 net rating. So them starting was far from their biggest problem. Especially considering the pair played exclusively when both LBJ and Love were on the court.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

People need to let go of the Doncic idea unless they're happy with giving up DD and taking back Chandler Parsons and his $50M in dead weight over the next two seasons... Assuming Doncic is even there at #4.
                      I would do that so goddam fast

"Stop eating your sushi."
                      "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                      "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                      - Jack Armstrong

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                        Lowry chokes in the playoffs? That's a little out of date. He has historically struggled shooting in the playoffs, but still been the key reason for any playoff success (the team has been solid to great with him on the floor every year, truly terrible with him on the bench, every single year in the playoffs). And this year that "struggled shooting" stuff (which sure looks driven by being over-worked in-season considering he magically was way better in the year where he played reasonable minutes) disappeared - he put up a monstrous 66% TS% in the playoffs this year.

I don't buy that there is that much of a gap between us and BOS/PHI unless LeBron goes to one of them. But remove Lowry and there dang sure will be.

I don't mind tearing it all down, in which case both DD and Lowry should be moved. But it's not the only option, and running it back (sans-DD) makes some sense too, then look to pivot next summer if appropriate.
                        Boston was without their prized FA star sigining the whole season. The only reason they lost to the Cavs was because Kyrie was out. They are overflowing with talent and probably have the assets to give the Spurs the best offer for Leonard and still keep a really strong complement in town. LeBron is not going to Boston unless Kyrie is leaving Boston.

Philly is in position to take a huge step forward, I think its quite clear.

The Raptors are going nowhere fast. This last season was the peak. You're right, Kyle played better in the playoffs this season but he's 32 and this late bloomer is out of time.

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                          I would do that so goddam fast

It's just as well to move both members of this duo if that's the first move. Doncic/whoever with one pick and move into the mid lotto and nab another player like the man on Ujiri's radar.

Comment

It's just as well to move both members of this duo if that's the first move. Doncic with one pick and move into the mid lotto and nab another player like the man on Ujiri's radar.
                            Honestly, if you just swap out Derozan for Doncic, I think we're a better team next year.
                            "Stop eating your sushi."
                            "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                            "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                            - Jack Armstrong

Comment

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                              But wasn't the Raps problem that Serge didn't show up? That they started Serge and JV at the same time? That they basically started 2 centers, which put them at a significant disadvantage on defense? How does drafting Shai resolve that?
                              Serge looks older than he is. He's over the hill. Nothing on the Raptors is solved in one move. This rumor, if true, suggests to me that we should get ready for those three trades I predicted in Axel's thread.

Comment

It's just as well to move both members of this duo if that's the first move. Doncic/whoever with one pick and move into the mid lotto and nab another player like the man on Ujiri's radar.
                                If the value is there for Lowry, sure. No one (or at least not me, which is all that matters) is opposed to that. Some question whether the value will be there (I think Lowry's value is very situational, and the return for him will only be good if the right teams end up in a position where they are in a hurry to add talent), and if it's not, and he could more easily be leveraged as a large expiring/rental next off-season, there is no harm in seeing what the team can do without DeMar and going head first into the new offensive system. Rushing to move Lowry this off-season for a mediocre return would be silly.

That said, my biggest concern is that if Lowry is moved, DD should definitely be moved. DeMar's value as a mid-peak player is highest with term on his contract, not as a rental.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X