Likes Likes:  21
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: How would you change the NBA?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote KeonClark wrote: View Post
    A lot of the problem these days is with the players themselves.

In the 90s and 2000s everybody wanted their own team, and nobody threatening their place at the top. Saw it with t mac, Shaq and kobe, Iverson etc. Nowadays it's trendy to hop on someone else's train and create like the avengers. Instantly worked for boston via trade so LeBron got slapped around by them for awhile then took the power in his own hands and created it in Miami. From there kd took it to a new shameless level. Now it's almost become a joke, cousins is just being petty and flipped everyone the bird
    I agree with this to some extent, in that, for example, the baseball PA would never allow it. They would blackball the agents and drive them out and the players involved would be ostracized.

To me, though, a big issue is that teams are incentivized to lose. You will always get more of what you incentivize. Cousins is a good example. There are lots of teams he could presumably help but got no offers? Why? Cause 10 or so teams, maybe more, are intentionally trying to suck. The tanking shit is just as bad for the game.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer 007's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote KeonClark wrote: View Post
    A lot of the problem these days is with the players themselves.

In the 90s and 2000s everybody wanted their own team, and nobody threatening their place at the top. Saw it with t mac, Shaq and kobe, Iverson etc. Nowadays it's trendy to hop on someone else's train and create like the avengers. Instantly worked for boston via trade so LeBron got slapped around by them for awhile then took the power in his own hands and created it in Miami. From there kd took it to a new shameless level. Now it's almost become a joke, cousins is just being petty and flipped everyone the bird
    I think what's to blame for this is the "Look at mah ringz Chuck" mentality. If fans and media perpetuate the notion that all success is invalidated if it doesn't result in a title, and if players know they will be made fun of and discounted somehow if they don't get a ring, then this is what happens

3. Likes Other Scott liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

High hard cap (like, double the soft cap now) + eliminate the draft entirely.

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

100% agree. Allow teams to cut someone from roster at anytime if underperforming similar to NFL. If you dog it you could be cut. Knicks and Thunder would love that provision re Carmelo Anthony’s contact.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mostly I'd go back in a time machine and prevent the cap spike from happening.

Otherwise the league isn't in that bad a place overall, once you get past Golden State ridiculousness. I'd probably kill the Tax-Payer MLE, and reduce tax paying teams to paying players minimum salaries to fill out their rosters, but I don't think that would stop the Cousins thing. We might just see him in Golden State on the minimum rather than 6M.
    That is a normal collar. Move on, find a new slant.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So I don't know enough about all this cap stuff, though it's interesting. But as for fixing the draft, which sounds like it might fix a lot, why not just give the number 1 & number 2 picks to whoever finished ninth in each conference? I haven't thought the whole thing out, but maybe 3rd and 4th to the 8 seeds as well, so teams still want to make the playoffs, or something. The point is, no more draft lottery, instead, reward teams for getting certain places like ninth, then everyone will be doing their best to win, cousins gets offers, and so on. And maybe you don't even need to incentivize teams to do better than 9th, as making the playoffs might be incentive enough due to extra revenue gained from playoff games, etc.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote DanH wrote: View Post
    Same thing I've been saying since the 2011 lockout.

Hard cap. No individual max. High minimums to get the players association to pass it. Done.
    I like this.

And I would change the draft process: A DRAFT AUCTION could be so much fun.

1) Whoever ends up in the last place has the first vote to sign a player out of the draft class for 3 years - at an arbitrarily high contract level
    2) BUT: Every other team can outdo this contract. The team that offers the most gets the player.
    3) If the team with the first vote fails to sign it's first option, try again!

That's the basic idea. But of course there is still a lot to be done in detail. e.g.

* Do we need limits what a team may spend at the auction - depending on where you have finished the regular season? Probably! But the differences should not be too high.
    * How can that be compatible with the hard cap? The amount a team can spend at the auction (up to the team limit) = hard cap - team salary + annual hard cap raise
    * If teams have no money left, but still have draft picks - bad luck!
    Last edited by gk17; Wed Jul 4th, 2018 at 03:28 AM.

9. Likes Rudy Bargnani liked this post
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer DanH's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote gk17 wrote: View Post
    I like this.

And I would change the draft process: A DRAFT AUCTION could be so much fun.

1) Whoever ends up in the last place has the first vote to sign a player out of the draft class for 3 years - at an arbitrarily high contract level
    2) BUT: Every other team can outdo this contract. The team that offers the most gets the player.
    3) If the team with the first vote fails to sign it's first option, try again!

That's the basic idea. But of course there is still a lot to be done in detail. e.g.

* Do we need limits what a team may spend at the auction - depending on where you have finished the regular season? Probably! But the differences should not be too high.
    * How can that be compatible with the hard cap? The amount a team can spend at the auction (up to the team limit) = hard cap - team salary + annual hard cap raise
    * If teams have no money left, but still have draft picks - bad luck!
    The draft auction idea is really compatible with another suggestion I've seen - which is holding the draft AFTER free agency. Then teams would know what cap room they have to bid at the draft.

11. Likes gk17 liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote DanH wrote: View Post
    The draft auction idea is really compatible with another suggestion I've seen - which is holding the draft AFTER free agency. Then teams would know what cap room they have to bid at the draft.
    Like it, but I see two problems: the Summer League and the rookies have less time to prepare for the season with their new team.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer DanH's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote gk17 wrote: View Post
    Like it, but I see two problems: the Summer League and the rookies have less time to prepare for the season with their new team.
    Right now Summer League happens really early. Could easily be in August instead.

14. Likes gk17 liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran planetmars's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I like the draft after free agency proposal. Hope that one sticks. Makes trading picks and draft rights a lot easier.

Raptors Republic Rookie BrydenB's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I really like the draft after free agency idea. I also love the idea of getting rid of the draft. The worse teams can offer the prospects more money (like maybe a lot more), but they also have the option of playing with a decent team for less if they want. Would a prospect turn down Sacremento, Atlanta or Cleveland offering $10 million annually to play in Boston for $2 million? Maybe, buts thats the fun of it all.

Raptors Republic All-Star saints91's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I like the hard cap idea, including no exceptions. 70% of your cap to sign a max free agent sounds great, and then a higher minimum based on years of service or an arbitrator can put a minimum price tag on players. I don't believe in fully waiving a player without recourse. But if you want to waive a healthy player an arbitrator can decide how much will go against your cap.

I also think the contracts could be longer. If a player chooses to get locked in for 10 years why not let him?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information