Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there any chance we can get a player like the Warriors just did?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there any chance we can get a player like the Warriors just did?

I mean, the question is worth asking. I'm not talking about a superstar, but I'm thinking about a short-term deal, team friendly contract with a really good NBA player.

Jabari Parker, Isaiah Thomas, Tyreke Evans, Rodney Hood, Wade, Smart, B.Lopez... Just to name a few, are still on the market.

Maybe you guys wouldn't want some of these players on our roster even if it was for the minimum, but who do you think would be worth making a call for, and is possibly a realistic option, and why? Injury? Desire to win? No money around the league? Etc...

https://hoopshype.com/2018/06/23/nba...top-players-2/

Raps still have money?
    Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

MixxAOR wrote: View Post
      Raps still have money?
      We still have the tax payer MLE. We won't use it, in all likelihood, at least until there is another significant move that sheds some salary. Question now is total team salary and tax implications more than actual ability to add players.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Raptors have their tax payer mid level.. and some TPE's. We could obtain salary if we wanted to. We're already a tax team and paying more tax on top of that is not something I'd be against. That would be a board/MLSE decision.

GSW is an instant contender.. so their owner has no problems paying out more since they can recoup a lot of that with at least seeing 8 games at home in the playoffs. I mean getting to the finals will be a sure thing.. and winning it all is pretty much right there too. Than there come the endorsements for winning it all.

So them paying the tax and that much extra tax vs us who may not even make it past round 1 or round 2 makes it way more difficult for the board to swallow I bet.

As a fan the only thing I don't want to see is a repeater since we lose so much with that penalty. Not something I think we should do with this specific team. But trying to go all in to get to the finals this year where tax is pretty much a necessity? Sign me up!

Of the guys you listed though.. not sure any of them would really help. Tyreke Evans I guess. We're pretty much stacked at the guard position though unless we can move DD (which we should still try to do).

Parker and Smart are RFE's.. if we offer a 1 year $5M contract both the Bucks and Celtics will just match.

Comment

DD and Lowry should both be making about 10M less per year. That would be a great start to attract a decent player and at least remain competitive

Comment

G__Deane wrote: View Post
            DD and Lowry should both be making about 10M less per year. That would be a great start to attract a decent player and at least remain competitive
            If they should be making 10 million less so should about 100 other players
            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

G__Deane wrote: View Post
              DD and Lowry do not have anywhere near the same value. DD is overpaid, Lowery is not.

Many teams would happily take Lowry's contract off us, DD would be more difficult, if not impossible, to move.

Comment

Quirk wrote: View Post
                DD and Lowry do not have anywhere near the same value. DD is overpaid, Lowery is not.

Many teams would happily take Lowry's contract off us, DD would be more difficult, if not impossible, to move.
                I think you have a terrible grasp on the NBA contract market if this is what you think.

I agree with you re: player valuation, but NBA GM's generally do not, history tells us.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                  I think you have a terrible grasp on the NBA contract market if this is what you think.

I agree with you re: player valuation, but NBA GM's generally do not, history tells us.
                  I think you are falling prey to wishful thinking. And while miracles happen, and hope springs eternal, it's best to base predictions under the assumption that GMs are not stupid, or at least have some advisors that are not stupid.

My working assumption is that DD will remain with the team. So the interesting question is how will Nurse use his particular skill set, and also reduce his minutes and usage. That's where his creativity will need to be applied.
                  Last edited by Quirk; Thu Jul 5, 2018, 10:10 AM.

Comment

I think you are falling prey to wishful thinking. And while miracles happen, and hope springs eternal, it's best to base predictions under the assumption that GMs are not stupid, or at least have some advisors that are not stupid.

My working assumption is that DD will remain with the team. So the interesting question is how will Nurse use his particular skill set, and also reduce his minutes and usage. That's where his creativity will need to be applied.
                    I see you haven't been paying attention to... literally any off-season or season in NBA history. Reality doesn't fall in line with your view of NBA GMs.

I am working under the same working assumption. In almost any scenario, no move is more likely than a move. Nurse should definitely be preparing for that outcome.

But Lowry would almost certainly be more difficult to move and less likely to bring a good return than DeRozan, with a significantly bigger negative impact on the team's on-court success after such a move.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I see you haven't been paying attention to... literally any off-season or season in NBA history. Reality doesn't fall in line with your view of NBA GMs.

I am working under the same working assumption. In almost any scenario, no move is more likely than a move. Nurse should definitely be preparing for that outcome.

But Lowry would almost certainly be more difficult to move and less likely to bring a good return than DeRozan, with a significantly bigger negative impact on the team's on-court success after such a move.
                      You might be suffering from frequency illusion, I think the trade examples you have in mind are less frequent than you imagine. Of course, trading Lowry would have a bigger negative impact on the team's on-court success, he's a much better player. I simply don't think you can reliably count on "winning" trades, but you can reliably get equal value back. However, I do understand that winning trade does happen, and that Masai has a good track record of doing so. For DD in particular tho, I think the word is out, and there wont be a lot of demand. We'll see.

So I wonder what Nurse is preparing for that outcome. What will we see from DeMar under Nurse?

Comment

...So I wonder what Nurse is preparing for that outcome. What will we see from DeMar under Nurse?
                        As we saw last year, and has been commented on many time, their are certain players Demarr should never be on the floor with if it can be avoided. Hopefully we see that. Some final shot scenarios that avoid Demarr pounding the ball on the floor and then trying to force a foul. Some set plays that involve Demarr driving and kicking. More playmaking. And I think Nurse could work with Demarr to emphasize the importance of defense. If it's not to late for that. I think Demarr improves his defense this season. Just IMHO.

Comment

Like everything else, WS is flawed, but this graphic is interesting. The closer you are to the top left... the better value for the team.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                            Like everything else, WS is flawed, but this graphic is interesting. The closer you are to the top left... the better value for the team.

Damn, according to this graph Melo's value is one of the worst in the league, right up there with Parsons. Neat to see JV kinda near Kyrie and Butler.

Comment

inthepaint wrote: View Post
                              Damn, according to this graph Melo's value is one of the worst in the league, right up there with Parsons. Neat to see JV kinda near Kyrie and Butler.
                              Also, from that graph.. (acknowledging that WS has its flaws) only two players offer higher WS/48 than Jonas on a better salary value, Clint Capela and KAT, (while tied with Jokic.) I’m hoping for a big year from the big fella now that Casey can no longer Case and Nurse is in his corner.

Comment

Working...
                              X