Likes Likes:  1
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Is there any chance we can get a player like the Warriors just did?

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic All-Star charlesnba23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Montréal, QC
    Posts
    2,194
    Likes (Given)
    342
    Likes (Received)
    174

    Default Is there any chance we can get a player like the Warriors just did?

    I mean, the question is worth asking. I'm not talking about a superstar, but I'm thinking about a short-term deal, team friendly contract with a really good NBA player.

    Jabari Parker, Isaiah Thomas, Tyreke Evans, Rodney Hood, Wade, Smart, B.Lopez... Just to name a few, are still on the market.

    Maybe you guys wouldn't want some of these players on our roster even if it was for the minimum, but who do you think would be worth making a call for, and is possibly a realistic option, and why? Injury? Desire to win? No money around the league? Etc...

    https://hoopshype.com/2018/06/23/nba...top-players-2/

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Veteran MixxAOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    9,648
    Likes (Given)
    1400
    Likes (Received)
    2505

    Default

    Raps still have money?

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer DanH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cambridge, ON
    Posts
    13,802
    Likes (Given)
    4392
    Likes (Received)
    8328

    Default

    Quote MixxAOR wrote: View Post
    Raps still have money?
    We still have the tax payer MLE. We won't use it, in all likelihood, at least until there is another significant move that sheds some salary. Question now is total team salary and tax implications more than actual ability to add players.

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Veteran planetmars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    8,745
    Likes (Given)
    1394
    Likes (Received)
    2105

    Default

    Raptors have their tax payer mid level.. and some TPE's. We could obtain salary if we wanted to. We're already a tax team and paying more tax on top of that is not something I'd be against. That would be a board/MLSE decision.

    GSW is an instant contender.. so their owner has no problems paying out more since they can recoup a lot of that with at least seeing 8 games at home in the playoffs. I mean getting to the finals will be a sure thing.. and winning it all is pretty much right there too. Than there come the endorsements for winning it all.

    So them paying the tax and that much extra tax vs us who may not even make it past round 1 or round 2 makes it way more difficult for the board to swallow I bet.

    As a fan the only thing I don't want to see is a repeater since we lose so much with that penalty. Not something I think we should do with this specific team. But trying to go all in to get to the finals this year where tax is pretty much a necessity? Sign me up!

    Of the guys you listed though.. not sure any of them would really help. Tyreke Evans I guess. We're pretty much stacked at the guard position though unless we can move DD (which we should still try to do).

    Parker and Smart are RFE's.. if we offer a 1 year $5M contract both the Bucks and Celtics will just match.

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,735
    Likes (Given)
    27
    Likes (Received)
    238

    Default

    DD and Lowry should both be making about 10M less per year. That would be a great start to attract a decent player and at least remain competitive

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer KeonClark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    13,616
    Likes (Given)
    3273
    Likes (Received)
    5712

    Default

    Quote G__Deane wrote: View Post
    DD and Lowry should both be making about 10M less per year. That would be a great start to attract a decent player and at least remain competitive
    If they should be making 10 million less so should about 100 other players
    And suddenly the man, who fancied himself a God, felt a very human chill crawl up his spine.

    #KingDethroned

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic Starter Quirk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    684
    Likes (Given)
    110
    Likes (Received)
    109

    Default

    Quote G__Deane wrote: View Post
    DD and Lowry should both be making about 10M less per year. That would be a great start to attract a decent player and at least remain competitive
    DD and Lowry do not have anywhere near the same value. DD is overpaid, Lowery is not.

    Many teams would happily take Lowry's contract off us, DD would be more difficult, if not impossible, to move.

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer DanH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cambridge, ON
    Posts
    13,802
    Likes (Given)
    4392
    Likes (Received)
    8328

    Default

    Quote Quirk wrote: View Post
    DD and Lowry do not have anywhere near the same value. DD is overpaid, Lowery is not.

    Many teams would happily take Lowry's contract off us, DD would be more difficult, if not impossible, to move.
    I think you have a terrible grasp on the NBA contract market if this is what you think.

    I agree with you re: player valuation, but NBA GM's generally do not, history tells us.

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic Starter Quirk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    684
    Likes (Given)
    110
    Likes (Received)
    109

    Default

    Quote DanH wrote: View Post
    I think you have a terrible grasp on the NBA contract market if this is what you think.

    I agree with you re: player valuation, but NBA GM's generally do not, history tells us.
    I think you are falling prey to wishful thinking. And while miracles happen, and hope springs eternal, it's best to base predictions under the assumption that GMs are not stupid, or at least have some advisors that are not stupid.

    My working assumption is that DD will remain with the team. So the interesting question is how will Nurse use his particular skill set, and also reduce his minutes and usage. That's where his creativity will need to be applied.
    Last edited by Quirk; Thu Jul 5th, 2018 at 09:10 AM.

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer DanH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cambridge, ON
    Posts
    13,802
    Likes (Given)
    4392
    Likes (Received)
    8328

    Default

    Quote Quirk wrote: View Post
    I think you are falling prey to wishful thinking. And while miracles happen, and hope springs eternal, it's best to base predictions under the assumption that GMs are not stupid, or at least have some advisors that are not stupid.

    My working assumption is that DD will remain with the team. So the interesting question is how will Nurse use his particular skill set, and also reduce his minutes and usage. That's where his creativity will need to be applied.
    I see you haven't been paying attention to... literally any off-season or season in NBA history. Reality doesn't fall in line with your view of NBA GMs.

    I am working under the same working assumption. In almost any scenario, no move is more likely than a move. Nurse should definitely be preparing for that outcome.

    But Lowry would almost certainly be more difficult to move and less likely to bring a good return than DeRozan, with a significantly bigger negative impact on the team's on-court success after such a move.

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Starter Quirk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    684
    Likes (Given)
    110
    Likes (Received)
    109

    Default

    Quote DanH wrote: View Post
    I see you haven't been paying attention to... literally any off-season or season in NBA history. Reality doesn't fall in line with your view of NBA GMs.

    I am working under the same working assumption. In almost any scenario, no move is more likely than a move. Nurse should definitely be preparing for that outcome.

    But Lowry would almost certainly be more difficult to move and less likely to bring a good return than DeRozan, with a significantly bigger negative impact on the team's on-court success after such a move.
    You might be suffering from frequency illusion, I think the trade examples you have in mind are less frequent than you imagine. Of course, trading Lowry would have a bigger negative impact on the team's on-court success, he's a much better player. I simply don't think you can reliably count on "winning" trades, but you can reliably get equal value back. However, I do understand that winning trade does happen, and that Masai has a good track record of doing so. For DD in particular tho, I think the word is out, and there wont be a lot of demand. We'll see.

    So I wonder what Nurse is preparing for that outcome. What will we see from DeMar under Nurse?

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    4,358
    Likes (Given)
    3724
    Likes (Received)
    1253

    Default

    Quote Quirk wrote: View Post
    ...So I wonder what Nurse is preparing for that outcome. What will we see from DeMar under Nurse?
    As we saw last year, and has been commented on many time, their are certain players Demarr should never be on the floor with if it can be avoided. Hopefully we see that. Some final shot scenarios that avoid Demarr pounding the ball on the floor and then trying to force a foul. Some set plays that involve Demarr driving and kicking. More playmaking. And I think Nurse could work with Demarr to emphasize the importance of defense. If it's not to late for that. I think Demarr improves his defense this season. Just IMHO.

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    7,267
    Likes (Given)
    880
    Likes (Received)
    2848

    Default

    Quote DanH wrote: View Post
    I think you have a terrible grasp on the NBA contract market if this is what you think.
    I agree with you re: player valuation, but NBA GM's generally do not, history tells us.
    Like everything else, WS is flawed, but this graphic is interesting. The closer you are to the top left... the better value for the team.


  14. #14
    Raptors Republic Starter inthepaint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    315
    Likes (Given)
    282
    Likes (Received)
    186

    Default

    Quote golden wrote: View Post
    Like everything else, WS is flawed, but this graphic is interesting. The closer you are to the top left... the better value for the team.

    Damn, according to this graph Melo's value is one of the worst in the league, right up there with Parsons. Neat to see JV kinda near Kyrie and Butler.

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic All-Star GOLDBLUM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    1,469
    Likes (Given)
    1169
    Likes (Received)
    635

    Default

    Quote inthepaint wrote: View Post
    Damn, according to this graph Melo's value is one of the worst in the league, right up there with Parsons. Neat to see JV kinda near Kyrie and Butler.
    Also, from that graph.. (acknowledging that WS has its flaws) only two players offer higher WS/48 than Jonas on a better salary value, Clint Capela and KAT, (while tied with Jokic.) I’m hoping for a big year from the big fella now that Casey can no longer Case and Nurse is in his corner.

  16. Likes Puffer liked this post

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •