No announcement yet.

Everything Kawhi Leonard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The reality is, the sales pitch is one more year of Kawhi being supported by Siakam and the older guys (Lowry, Gasol, Serge, Danny) while hoping some younger guys take another step (Powell, FVV, OG).

And then adding another star beside Siakam and Kawhi in summer 2020.

A 2+1 might work well under that structure for both sides. Kawhi would only be stuck here for 1 year if they strike out in 2020, and could even ask for a trade to the destination he wants - with the leverage there to pick up the option if need be. Gives the Raptors a chance to make good on their best sales pitch to Kawhi, and then to gain some assets if it doesn't work out. And either way Kawhi is lined up for the 10 year max once his deal is up.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• hotfuzz wrote: View Post
      I agree with this. Lowry and Gasol aren't getting any younger and we've all seen a lot of regression from Lowry. Who knows how long he can keep playing at a decent level. When Lowry's regression becomes permanent, we'll be in trouble because this team goes as Kyle goes.
      When Lowry reaches that point, this team will be leaving him behind unless he is willing to come off the bench. If Kawhi signs for two years this summer, especially if he signs early, it will be because the team did well. There are going to be other all stars or top ten players that will look at jumping onboard. You just need one more really good player and suddenly guys will be looking to get waived so they can play in Toronto. Who else is in the same situation as AD and is going to be looking at the last year of their contract and might want to bail and snag a ring? If Kawhi signs on for two years, it's going to happen.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
        The reality is, the sales pitch is one more year of Kawhi being supported by Siakam and the older guys (Lowry, Gasol, Serge, Danny) while hoping some younger guys take another step (Powell, FVV, OG).

And then adding another star beside Siakam and Kawhi in summer 2020.

A 2+1 might work well under that structure for both sides. Kawhi would only be stuck here for 1 year if they strike out in 2020, and could even ask for a trade to the destination he wants - with the leverage there to pick up the option if need be. Gives the Raptors a chance to make good on their best sales pitch to Kawhi, and then to gain some assets if it doesn't work out. And either way Kawhi is lined up for the 10 year max once his deal is up.
        Sounds like a good plan to me.
        My understanding is the free agent class of 2020 is a bit weak though aside from AD. You like anyone as a target in 2020?
        I could also see Masai brining Lowry/Ibaka/Gasol back on larger 1 year deals and seeing what 2021 looks like.

Comment

• Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post
          Sounds like a good plan to me.
          My understanding is the free agent class of 2020 is a bit weak though aside from AD. You like anyone as a target in 2020?
          I could also see Masai brining Lowry/Ibaka/Gasol back on larger 1 year deals and seeing what 2021 looks like.
          Giannis

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
            Giannis
            Would be the ideal summer 2021 target as that is his free agency. For him not to want to re-sign with the Bucks, though, the team would have to do somewhat badly the next 3 post seasons (2019, 2020 & 2021).

Right now it's looking like a tall order, but we have the potential to thwart their season in 2019, and in 2020 if Kawhi re-signs. This is another underrated aspect of going strong this year. If we're consistently ahead of the Bucks, that acts as an indirect incentive for Giannis to leave in free agency.

The contractual situation of their other starters is also a bit up in the air this summer:

Bledsoe- UFA this summer
            Brogdon - RFA this summer
            Lopez - UFA this summer
            Middleton - Player option for next season, UFA summer 2020.
            (Mirotic also UFA this summer)

All these guys are making less then 16M now (Brogdon still on rookie deal), but if the Bucks do well this year, they will all wanna get paid, so that could create stress in their cap. If they don't do well, then the future there becomes less appealing for Giannis. Either way the situation there will be tricky to balance, which makes Giannis attainable.
            Last edited by inthepaint; Mon Feb 18, 2019, 12:14 PM.

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post
              Would be the ideal summer 2021 target as that is his free agency. For him not to want to re-sign with the Bucks, though, the team would have to do somewhat badly the next 3 post seasons (2019, 2020 & 2021).

Right now it's looking like a tall order, but we have the potential to thwart their season in 2019, and in 2020 if Kawhi re-signs. This is another underrated aspect of going strong this year. If we're consistently ahead of the Bucks, that acts as an indirect incentive for Giannis to leave in free agency.

The contractual situation of their other starters is also a bit up in the air this summer:

Bledsoe- UFA this summer
              Brogdon - RFA this summer
              Lopez - UFA this summer
              Middleton - Player option for next season, UFA summer 2020.
              (Mirotic also UFA this summer)

All these guys are making less then 16M now (Brogdon still on rookie deal), but if the Bucks do well this year, they will all wanna get paid, so that could create stress in their cap. If they don't do well, then the future there becomes less appealing for Giannis. Either way the situation there will be tricky to balance, which makes Giannis attainable.
              IMO our most pressing need is a top tier PG/SG..Watching Kyle waddle up and down the court during yesterdays ASG made me wonder what will he be like next year? FVV is a solid back-up, but is not a future starter. At least Delon brought length and atheleticsm to the position. He could get to the rim which our current duo find tough. Lin is not an answer. All the top teams have strong back courts. Simmons, Curry, Kyrie, Lilliard, Westbrook. Oladipo are all-stars and in their prime. The Bucks have Bledsoe who is also a talented guard in his prime. Lowry contributes in many ways, however if our team had any of the above PG's.IMO.ECF is a lock. No way KL is in the 2020 ASG as Siakam deserves the spot (He should have been there this year vs KL). Hope Masai does something - sooner the better

Comment

• Zak24gege wrote: View Post
                IMO our most pressing need is a top tier PG/SG..Watching Kyle waddle up and down the court during yesterdays ASG made me wonder what will he be like next year? FVV is a solid back-up, but is not a future starter. At least Delon brought length and atheleticsm to the position. He could get to the rim which our current duo find tough. Lin is not an answer. All the top teams have strong back courts. Simmons, Curry, Kyrie, Lilliard, Westbrook. Oladipo are all-stars and in their prime. The Bucks have Bledsoe who is also a talented guard in his prime. Lowry contributes in many ways, however if our team had any of the above PG's.IMO.ECF is a lock. No way KL is in the 2020 ASG as Siakam deserves the spot (He should have been there this year vs KL). Hope Masai does something - sooner the better
                Lol and yet a year ago people were saying Kyle for Kyrie would be a dumb trade.

I'm right about fucking everything on here.

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post

Congrats, want a cookie?

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                    When Lowry reaches that point, this team will be leaving him behind unless he is willing to come off the bench. If Kawhi signs for two years this summer, especially if he signs early, it will be because the team did well. There are going to be other all stars or top ten players that will look at jumping onboard. You just need one more really good player and suddenly guys will be looking to get waived so they can play in Toronto. Who else is in the same situation as AD and is going to be looking at the last year of their contract and might want to bail and snag a ring? If Kawhi signs on for two years, it's going to happen.
                    I can see KAT falling in that category if the wolves don't get their shit together fast.
                    "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

• hotfuzz wrote: View Post
                      I can see KAT falling in that category if the wolves don't get their shit together fast.
                      KAT's not the only one. Just start looking around the league at teams that are likely to be out of it next year, or treadmilling.

Comment

lol. you're worse than t-rex

Comment

Lol. Oh thanks, I needed a good laugh. Oh, that was a good one. Almost spit out my beer.

Comment

Even if you were--which you're not--who gives a shit? Saying "I told you so" all the time on a forum with like 50 regulars isn't really much of an accomplishment.

Comment

If you've ever disagreed with me, then Sir, you are in fact NOT right about everything here.

Comment

https://amp.thisisinsider.com/images...02-320-234.jpg

I am out here for you. You don't know what it's like to be ME out here for YOU. It is an up-at-dawn, pride-swallowing siege that I will never fully tell you about, ok?
                                Last edited by Zak24gege; Mon Feb 18, 2019, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X