Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will this trade Finally get the Raptors a Christmas Game ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lol @ Bucks vs Knicks, for anyone in the mood for poo poo platter rather than turkey on Christmas Day
    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Bucks-Knicks and Portland-Utah? lol sure
      The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

I guess I will have to visit my family now
        Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

While on some level this should certainly be taken as a slight, it’s really, really for the best. Last thing we need is some pumped up Christmas Day “Raptors did Demar wrong” narrative. Glad when we do meet the Spurs, it’ll be under at least somewhat less of spotlight. Don’t need Kawhi getting overly caught up in this bullshit, Masai-loyalty narrative.

Comment

GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post
            While on some level this should certainly be taken as a slight, it’s really, really for the best. Last thing we need is some pumped up Christmas Day “Raptors did Demar wrong” narrative. Glad when we do meet the Spurs, it’ll be under at least somewhat less of spotlight. Don’t need Kawhi getting overly caught up in this bullshit, Masai-loyalty narrative.
            Or it could get awkward when Kyle invites some Raps team-mates and Derozan to Christmas dinner at his mom's house & Kawhi not invited.

Or Kawhi goes to L.A for thanksgiving with his family and shows up to the Lakers game in the audience...
            Last edited by Hotshot; Wed Aug 8, 2018, 01:37 AM.

Comment

It's not a slight. It's not anything.

The chance of them putting a Toronto game on tv for Christmas was always tiny. There is no reason they should expect it to draw big numbers with American tv crowds. And people wanted it to be Spurs-Raptors? Yeah, one of the smallest American markets against the only non-American market... It's a fun story, but not enough for fans outside those markets to really give a crap.

A team from New York has to be on. Both suck so the Knicks got a game because they always get a game, so they put a big star from a smaller market against them, hoping the combination of NYK rabid(delusional) audience and Giannis fans will prop up viewership. The Knicks may have been the most likely opponent for the Raps...put Knicks-Raps on first, when half the continent is still opening presents and eating breakfast and bank on the NY audience and that the Raps may be a great team to watch for casual fans on the East coast.

At least one more big Eastern market needs a game. Boston and Philly are both good, so they decided to put them against each other.

LA against GSW surprises no one. LeBron vs. the best team is probably the game they're hoping draws the biggest crowd.

Houston was another likely candidate as a big city with a great team. The Houston-OKC matchup has some history and lots of superstar appeal.

The 5th game was always going to be the wildcard. Utah-Portland isn't too surprising as both have strong fanbases and it was likely to be another Western matchup and last game of the night. No really big markets that would be interesting to watch left with GSW playing LA and Houston having a different game. Having those 3 teams already on meant no other East team would host since they want GSW-LA on for both coasts and Houston is on Central time so unlikely to be the last game.

---

They might be willing to see if Toronto against San Antonio would draw an audience, but probably something more like a Wednesday ESPN game or something like that. Have it when Toronto visits San Antonio and they'll talk about "Kawhi's return to San Antonio" a lot.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                It's not a slight. It's not anything.

The chance of them putting a Toronto game on tv for Christmas was always tiny. There is no reason they should expect it to draw big numbers with American tv crowds. And people wanted it to be Spurs-Raptors? Yeah, one of the smallest American markets against the only non-American market... It's a fun story, but not enough for fans outside those markets to really give a crap.

A team from New York has to be on. Both suck so the Knicks got a game because they always get a game, so they put a big star from a smaller market against them, hoping the combination of NYK rabid(delusional) audience and Giannis fans will prop up viewership. The Knicks may have been the most likely opponent for the Raps...put Knicks-Raps on first, when half the continent is still opening presents and eating breakfast and bank on the NY audience and that the Raps may be a great team to watch for casual fans on the East coast.

At least one more big Eastern market needs a game. Boston and Philly are both good, so they decided to put them against each other.

LA against GSW surprises no one. LeBron vs. the best team is probably the game they're hoping draws the biggest crowd.

Houston was another likely candidate as a big city with a great team. The Houston-OKC matchup has some history and lots of superstar appeal.

The 5th game was always going to be the wildcard. Utah-Portland isn't too surprising as both have strong fanbases and it was likely to be another Western matchup and last game of the night. No really big markets that would be interesting to watch left with GSW playing LA and Houston having a different game. Having those 3 teams already on meant no other East team would host since they want GSW-LA on for both coasts and Houston is on Central time so unlikely to be the last game.

---

They might be willing to see if Toronto against San Antonio would draw an audience, but probably something more like a Wednesday ESPN game or something like that. Have it when Toronto visits San Antonio and they'll talk about "Kawhi's return to San Antonio" a lot.
                I wouldn't say the chances were slim. I think there really was some smoke around the idea of Raptors-Knicks. It probably came down to Milwaukee vs Toronto for that spot.

It's just that the NBA weighed that Giannis audience + Milwaukee local audience would be a bigger draw than the Kawhi audience + people wanting to see a top 2 Eastern team beat up on the Knicks. I think the math there is probably pretty solid.

That said if the Raps make the finals and keep Kawhi (very big ifs), I would be surprised if the Raptors DIDN'T get a Christmas day game next year.
                That is a normal collar. Move on, find a new slant.

Comment

Other Scott wrote: View Post
                  I wouldn't say the chances were slim. I think there really was some smoke around the idea of Raptors-Knicks. It probably came down to Milwaukee vs Toronto for that spot.

It's just that the NBA weighed that Giannis audience + Milwaukee local audience would be a bigger draw than the Kawhi audience + people wanting to see a top 2 Eastern team beat up on the Knicks. I think the math there is probably pretty solid.

That said if the Raps make the finals and keep Kawhi (very big ifs), I would be surprised if the Raptors DIDN'T get a Christmas day game next year.
                  Yep. The NBA is all about promoting the "Next Ones", in addition to the established stars (KD, Steph, Lebron). They do a great job of developing their future marketing cash cows. Hence, Embiid, Simmons, Tatum & Brown was a slam dunk for marketing. Giannis was getting the big promo push last year and it's continuing this year. While the Raptors are a great team, we don't have any exciting young potential superstars and are too best players, Lowry & Kawhi are duds from a marketing perspective.

Comment

Surprise, surprise. That said I was secretly hoping for Kawhi to drop lumps of coal and Pop & DD's stockings.

Comment

I remember last year the Raptors themselves were hoping to get in the game. So I bet Masai is bummed. I actually think players want to play on Christmas and I think a lot of them care about that stuff.

As a fan it really works out well. It's so hard to pay attention to a game when there is so much stuff happening.

The only games that looks mildly interesting are Philly/Boston and Houston/OKC.

Comment

Don't know.......maybe it's just as well to not have that hype during Kawhi's first year here. Win in the playoffs and then worry about the Christmas games. There's no trophy for winning on Dec 25th.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                          I remember last year the Raptors themselves were hoping to get in the game. So I bet Masai is bummed. I actually think players want to play on Christmas and I think a lot of them care about that stuff.

As a fan it really works out well. It's so hard to pay attention to a game when there is so much stuff happening.

The only games that looks mildly interesting are Philly/Boston and Houston/OKC.
                          Perception counts in the money game. Agents and players care about this stuff because it factors directly into exposure for their personal brands, which they can monetize.

Comment

That's a good point, would like this storyline to be good and dead by December.
                            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Other Scott wrote: View Post

Some smoke maybe, but probably never a favoured option. Like I said, I agree the Knicks were the Raps best shot at an opponent. Still think teams like Milwaukee, Washington, Miami or Indiana would have been preferred by the league.

If we do make the Finals, then yeah, next year we should have a really good chance at getting a game, but that also depends on Kawhi staying so that we'd still be the team that made the Finals. That's why Cleveland isn't on this year.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
                              Last edited by white men can't jump; Wed Aug 8, 2018, 11:31 AM.

Comment

I couldn't care less about a Christmas game and prefer to spend more time with family and endurance-turkey-eating. I bet MOST players feel the same way if asked off the record.

Comment

Working...
                                X