Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will this trade Finally get the Raptors a Christmas Game ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sanyo wrote: View Post
    The only teams who have never played on Christmas is Memphis and Charlotte. Toronto has played once. So any team could get the slot, regardless of market size.

If it's me I would do:

12pm: Boston vs Philadelphia

2:30pm: Toronto vs San Antonio

5:00pm: LA Lakers vs Golden State

8:00pm: OKC vs Houston

10:30pm: I dunno Utah vs Portland or something (has to be a west coast team and it wont be LA and Warriors as that will get the prime time slot)

Ideally no NY...but knowing the NBA they will have to lnclude them somehow... which sucks.
    I don't see them putting Toronto vs. San Antonio. Don't think the story is enough for casual NBA fans to still care about in December, and they're two markets that won't draw high ratings in the States. I could be wrong, and they would probably do it if it were two American markets like Chicago and San Antonio, but yeah, find it hard to believe.

I think you're probably bang on with the 3rd game. LeBron vs GSW in the middle of the day game on both coasts.

Boston for sure gets a game. NY almost for sure gets a game (NYK have been on Christmas 52 times, 9 times more than the next most appearances, by the Lakers). I think they do if they expect Porzingis to be playing. Philly very likely gets one. Other East teams are all up in the air. Weak looking conference again. Teams like Toronto, Milwaukee and Indiana might have a better chance than normal. They could cop out and just pick another big market anyway, like Chicago.

Houston is almost for sure getting one given how good they are. Just not obvious who their opponent would be. OKC, Denver, Portland, Utah....I could see lots of West teams getting a shot. I could also see NOP getting a game with Davis' appeal.

Now that I think of it, even though I still think LeBron vs GSW is very likely going to be on, maybe they split that up to get LA and the bay area on at different times, because there aren't a lot of big market teams looking very good.
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Sat Jul 21, 2018, 12:11 AM.

Comment

The only teams who have never played on Christmas is Memphis and Charlotte. Toronto has played once. So any team could get the slot, regardless of market size.

If it's me I would do:

10:30pm: I dunno Utah vs Portland or something (has to be a west coast team and it wont be LA and Warriors as that will get the prime time slot)

Ideally no NY...but knowing the NBA they will have to lnclude them somehow... which sucks.
      GSW needs a game vs Houston so swap LA and OKC

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
        But as you say in the bold, it tends to be "in the background". If the Raptors are on, I may not be able to pay as much attention as I'd like on the game. That's the main reason I don't care.
        I would definitely be watching if we were playing. I still end up watching most of the games.

Comment

If I'm making the Christmas day schedule; I'm doing something that I don't think happens often:

Golden State Warriors vs Boston Celtics
          Los Angeles Lakers vs Toronto Raptors
          Houston Rockets vs Philadelphia 76ers
          OKC Thunder vs either Milwaukee Bucks, Indiana Pacers or (and this is contingent on KP not being injured at the time of the game) New York Knicks

With the exception of the of the last game there; I tried to have it so that the (likely) top 3 teams in each conference face each other in potential Finals previews beside the team that would likely have the most interesting story playing against them. The fourth game I tried for combination of star power, market and likelihood of being a good team.

I think the American media would love talking about the potential of LeBron taking Christmas away from Canada: "LeBron can't ruin their playoffs so NOW he's going after their Christmas."
          Last edited by Just Is; Sat Jul 21, 2018, 03:50 PM.
          "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
          "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

Maury wrote: View Post
            I would definitely be watching if we were playing. I still end up watching most of the games.
            I have a giant family, and most of my cousins have kids now. They dictate what goes on the tv at holidays. There will still be ball on for a good amount of it, but they could randomly decide to put a kids movie on or something.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

If the Raptors are on Christmas day it is a PVR game for me. Probably traveling to a dinner or hosting one. All the family lives at least an hour and a half away, and we only see them every couple of months...so Christmas is family time.

Comment

Maury wrote: View Post
                I know some of you guys don’t care about this, but having the games on in the background all day during Christmas is one of my favourite parts of the holidays, and seeing our team up there would be pretty awesome for me. I’m really hoping we get a game.
                Actually, I think I'm one fo the few who not only doesn't care for a Christmas day game, but doesn't want it. I'd much sooner Christmas was left for famillies of fans and athletes as well to decompress and chill. And you know....celebrate Christmas if you're so inclined ....
                It's one of the few games I'll miss all season and I won't miss it a bit....for one game
                Last edited by G__Deane; Mon Jul 23, 2018, 12:31 PM.

Comment

But as you say in the bold, it tends to be "in the background". If the Raptors are on, I may not be able to pay as much attention as I'd like on the game. That's the main reason I don't care.
                  Agreed.

I root for the Xmas Day Game for proof of worldwide recognition, but from a practical/logistical sense, it's the 1 game I'm most likely to miss due to family obligations.

Comment

If it's me I would do:

5:00 pm Lakers vs Cavs

8:00 pm Golden State vs Eastern All stars lol

Comment

I don't see them putting Toronto vs. San Antonio. Don't think the story is enough for casual NBA fans to still care about in December, and they're two markets that won't draw high ratings in the States.
                      There is enough drama between Kawhi vs Spurs and DeRozan vs Raptors that the casual NBA fan will care about.

Comment

When is the sked released? I predict San Antonio @ Toronto will be the highest rated raptor regular season game since Vince played here
                        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
                          When is the sked released? I predict San Antonio @ Toronto will be the highest rated raptor regular season game since Vince played here
                          Aug 8-12, Christmas leaks usually happen before official schedule is released

Comment

Unfortunately, I still don't see it happening. Why wouldn't they choose any two American teams that would atleast attract US fans from those two areas vs. losing half of their potential audience and media reach for their sponsors. Most of the sponsors/brands are interested in growing US audiences only, as the US brand teams would be buying the media, even if it's for an international/North-American brand.

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
                              It would be the most Raptor thing ever and since it's never happened before it would be even more the most Raptor thing ever....but imagine if it's a Spurs@Raps opening night? Forced to see who gets the bigger cheer

Comment

Jclaw wrote: View Post
                                It would be the most Raptor thing ever and since it's never happened before it would be even more the most Raptor thing ever....but imagine if it's a Spurs@Raps opening night? Forced to see who gets the bigger cheer
                                Yea, but thankfully it's not likely at all. Seems like opening night is always an opponent within your own conference. Kind of a vague "rival" (last year we had the Bulls who used to be our bugaboo for several years), or just a conference opponent. Last 10 years going backwards have been: Bulls, Pistons, Pacers Hawks Celtics Pacers Cavs Knicks Cavs Sixers.

Comment

Working...
                                X