Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will this trade Finally get the Raptors a Christmas Game ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sixers-Celtics also getting the season opener. Smh.

NBA is trying way too hard to revive the Larry Bird vs Dr J rivalry days. Troubling part is that it means those teams will be getting all the calls from the refs, or even moreso than previous.

Comment

The only ways Raptors will ever get a Christmas game are if:

1. They are the defending champions
      2. Somehow trade for LeBron James
      3. Something similar to the Malice at the Palace occurs in the finals during the playoffs...and even then it's a maybe

Comment

LJ2 wrote: View Post

3. Something similar to the Malice at the Palace occurs in the finals during the playoffs...and even then it's a maybe
        1 and 2 are a given. I'd amend 2 to having a popular superstar of any kind. The only Christmas day game we ever got was when we had prime Vince and a rivalry with the Knicks. Kawhi is a better player, but not that kind of draw and we don't really have a good rivalry with anyone right now.

I don't even know what you mean by 3. If Toronto is involved in that kind of game, you can pretty much guarantee they will not get a Christmas game.

I think if we make the Finals this year, have to go through Boston to get there, and keep Kawhi, something like a Boston-Toronto game next year might have a pretty good chance of happening. That's a lot of things falling into place though.

Comment

Ebonhawke wrote: View Post
          Perhaps the Raptors organization purposefully asks not to play on Christmas?

Comment

G__Deane wrote: View Post
            I couldn't care less about a Christmas game and prefer to spend more time with family and endurance-turkey-eating. I bet MOST players feel the same way if asked off the record.
            Man nobody wants to work on Christmas. It's one of the weirder NBA traditions. I love watching hoops all day but I feel bad for everyone who has to spend time away from their family.

Comment

LJ2 wrote: View Post

4. They move to an American city.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
                For the 17th straight year the Raptors won't be playing on Christmas Day. Toronto management/ownership pushed hard, I’m told. The NBA has its reasons, all of them business-related, but that doesn’t mean it sits well with Canada’s team, or its fans.
                Advertisers said "Hell No". Tbh.... If I was spending the insane amount of dollars on NBA air-time, I would do the same. Give me Lebron & Steph - 24/7.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                  Advertisers said "Hell No". Tbh.... If I was spending the insane amount of dollars on NBA air-time, I would do the same. Give me Lebron & Steph - 24/7.
                  That Bucks-Knicks game going to drive materially more viewers at Noon EDT than Raps-Knicks? Meh. I think it's less from advertisers (as you say they only want Lebron and Curry) and more about the league wanting to push certain markets and stars as opposed to others. Bucks and Giannis likely get more out of a game than the Raps would.

Comment

Really disappointed right now

I honestly thought that with Greg Monroe in town, Raps would have a Christmas game

I know, I know, mooses ain't reindeers, but it's pretty close damn it

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                      That Bucks-Knicks game going to drive materially more viewers at Noon EDT than Raps-Knicks? Meh. I think it's less from advertisers (as you say they only want Lebron and Curry) and more about the league wanting to push certain markets and stars as opposed to others. Bucks and Giannis likely get more out of a game than the Raps would.
                      Yeah, Bucks was more about Giannis and developing the next generation of NBA lead actors. They were pumping him up big last year, too. When you step back and think objectively about the Raptors, why would the NBA want to have their viewers become emotionally invested in Kawhi Leonard's Raptors when there's a high probability that our main actor (who is as boring as hell at the best of times) won't even be here next year?

Much better for the NBA to invest in promoting guys like Tatum, Brown, Embiid, Simmons & Giannis who look like they'll be around for a while on their current teams, all of whom have the potential of being top 5-15 guys.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                        why would the NBA want to have their viewers become emotionally invested in Kawhi Leonard's Raptors when there's a high probability that our main actor (who is as boring as hell at the best of times) won't even be here next year?
                        He ain't one bit boring on the court.

And I know you're talking about NBA scheduling, but to your point of his inevitable departure...

all that winning he projects to be driving could make for another outcome.

We. Shall. See.

Comment

• I guess the selling job for free agents ... If you want Christmas off come To T.O

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                            American Advertisers don't get any of the viewership from Canadian Market, so technically, they'd only be pulling about half the relevant market.

Comment

• On the ESPN 5x5 panel discussing the Christmas games, about 3 out of 5 mentioned the Raps when asked which team was missing (to paraphrase). That’s one of the only reasons I thought we might have gotten a game. There was such a narrative last year about the raps being left out of national games....by the guys broadcasting national games. Then again, I think the playoffs would have evaporated all that good will.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                                American Advertisers don't get any of the viewership from Canadian Market, so technically, they'd only be pulling about half the relevant market.
                                I have a hard time pulling the way this works apart.

For American ratings and advertising, it's as though the Canadian market doesn't exist. But that's not true for the NBA or for whoever has the broadcasting rights. I know it gets wonky because of CRTC/Canadian content regulations - could TSN/Sportsnet not broadcast the US feed for a Raptors Christmas Day game? If not, can't the US broadcaster sub-license it out a Canadian broadcaster? Or can't the NBA do that directly?

Basically, however it has to work around the broadcasting regulations and broadcast licenses, in reality the Canadian market does in fact exist. The advertising revenue exists. The viewers exist. How is this not part of the calculations for the parent broadcaster or the NBA?

When the Raptors get national US games, we still get the game in both countries and at the end of the day the broadcasters and the NBA get all their money. How is Christmas any different? I have a really hard time believing anybody's making more money off a Milwaukee game than they would off a Raptors game.
                                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Working...
                                X