• Show
Clear All

GuiJaeger wrote: View Post
    LeBron
    Curry
    Harden
    Durant
    Kawhi
    I can't put Curry in any top 5 because of his defense. It was almost comical how Houston went out their way to ISO him on defense in the playoffs. If CP3 didn't get injured, I think the Rockets take that series and like 90% of the reason for that would have been because of Steph's D. Similar argument for Harden, but he's surprisingly improved, at least in this year's playoffs.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
      I can't put Curry in any top 5 because of his defense. It was almost comical how Houston went out their way to ISO him on defense in the playoffs. If CP3 didn't get injured, I think the Rockets take that series and like 90% of the reason for that would have been because of Steph's D. Similar argument for Harden, but he's surprisingly improved, at least in this year's playoffs.
      This is why I ranked him 5th. But outside the top 5 is too much for me. He's just so much better offensively than anyone else who is actually good on the defensive end outside of Kawhi, LeBron, KD, AD.

I think Giannis is the one guy who might have a case to break into that top 5 over Steph.

Comment

Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
        This is why I ranked him 5th. But outside the top 5 is too much for me. He's just so much better offensively than anyone else who is actually good on the defensive end outside of Kawhi, LeBron, KD, AD.

I think Giannis is the one guy who might have a case to break into that top 5 over Steph.
        Giannis would arguably be the 2nd best player in the league if he could just shoot the ball. I mean I think he for sure would be, but I'm sure some people would argue against it. He would be able to play any position/role on both ends of the court.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

A top player should be excellent on both ends of the court, right?
          Or did you mean top 5 'offensive ' player?

Comment

I had:

Lebron
            Durant
            Davis
            Curry
            Kawhi

... I have Curry in the top 5 because he revolutionized the 3pt shot. The game has always had elite 3pt shooters.. but Curry took it to another level. And his quickness made him the steals leader in back to back years as well.

He's not a defensive guy, and can be put into a position where he struggles.. but so does Harden. At least Curry's won championships.. and that's what puts him over Harden for me.

I like two-way players though.. and that's why my top 5 has 4 of them.

As for the rest of the pack.. would probably have:

6. Harden
            7. Giannis
            8. Russ
            9. Lillard
            10. Embiid*

*Embiid is a hard one. He rarely plays.. if healthy he'd probably be 7th in that list. But that's a big if. Hardest to exclude were Paul and Butler.

Comment

i think it's absurd not to have curry in the top 5.

he's like a B-level defender of his position, above average and competes his ass off. yes houston went at him repeatedly as that offense was entirely predicated on isolations in that series and the other guys on the floor are all A or A+ defenders in draymond, iggy, klay, and KD. doesn't mean he's bad on that end.

you could argue he's been the best player in the league on balance more often than anyone else since kerr became coach. his +/- is absurd. every lineup he plays with is a huge positive. and he totally revolutionized the game more than any other player i can think of in this era, as planetmars points out.

i have him 1b to lebron's 1a, with durant, davis, and harden next in that order. i would have kawhi 4th between durant and davis except he's really only had one year at that level and we can't be totally sure he'll get back to the 2016-2017 level.

that's my hot take

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                I had:

Lebron
                Durant
                Davis
                Curry
                Kawhi

... I have Curry in the top 5 because he revolutionized the 3pt shot. The game has always had elite 3pt shooters.. but Curry took it to another level. And his quickness made him the steals leader in back to back years as well.

He's not a defensive guy, and can be put into a position where he struggles.. but so does Harden. At least Curry's won championships.. and that's what puts him over Harden for me.

I like two-way players though.. and that's why my top 5 has 4 of them.

As for the rest of the pack.. would probably have:

6. Harden
                7. Giannis
                8. Russ
                9. Lillard
                10. Embiid*

*Embiid is a hard one. He rarely plays.. if healthy he'd probably be 7th in that list. But that's a big if. Hardest to exclude were Paul and Butler.
                I came late to this thread and going thru it (unless I missed it elsewhere) your post was the first which articulated the bold point.

In NBA history there have been very few who have revolutionized or changed the game to the point where teams are trying emulate what he and his team does.... because of his 3 point shotmaking and passing. I have always been a Nash fan and Curry takes that pg stylequality to another level.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                  Giannis would arguably be the 2nd best player in the league if he could just shoot the ball. I mean I think he for sure would be, but I'm sure some people would argue against it. He would be able to play any position/role on both ends of the court.

Except, he can't shoot the ball. People act like shooting is something you can just add so easily.

Comment

Except, he can't shoot the ball. People act like shooting is something you can just add so easily.
                    Depends on what you mean by easy. It is much easier to improve than most other skills for most people.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                      Depends on what you mean by easy. It is much easier to improve than most other skills for most people.

Adding a 3-pt shot is kind of hit or miss. You take a guy like Tyreke Evans, who I never would have thought could add a reliable 3-pt shot and he's been terrific the last few years. Jason Kidd was another guy who looked like he'd never be able to do it. Then you have guys like Rubio and Rondo, who just can't get the hang of it. And of course, DeRozan, who is one of the hardest workers out there. Not sure what the secret is, in addition to hard work and reps.

Comment

TBH, l don't care about the 3 pt shot at all.
                        It's just like a dunk, or AND1.
                        Offense is offense.
                        There's a variety of ways to produce points.

I am more concerned about how a player contributes on both ends.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                          Adding a 3-pt shot is kind of hit or miss. You take a guy like Tyreke Evans, who I never would have thought could add a reliable 3-pt shot and he's been terrific the last few years. Jason Kidd was another guy who looked like he'd never be able to do it. Then you have guys like Rubio and Rondo, who just can't get the hang of it. And of course, DeRozan, who is one of the hardest workers out there. Not sure what the secret is, in addition to hard work and reps.
                          Right, but if someone is raw, it is usually easier to improve a shot than things like handles and court vision/passing.

Comment

I just really hope that Lowry has actually talked to Kawhi by now.

We need to welcome this guy to have any chance of keeping him. He can't be allowed to feel like an outsider because everyone's favourite teammate was shipped out for him.

Comment

I just really hope that Lowry has actually talked to Kawhi by now.

We need to welcome this guy to have any chance of keeping him. He can't be allowed to feel like an outsider because everyone's favourite teammate was shipped out for him.
                              To me, nothing matters until players actually start coming into town to get ready for the season. These guys do their own thing in the summer. You also don't want to suffocate a guy who is quiet and tends to keep to himself quite a bit by all accounts.

As long as Masai is creating a connection, and also Nurse hopefully has touched base for a short "hello" conversation, that's enough for now. You're not going to keep/lose Kawhi based on how much you talk to him this July-August.

Comment

1. LeBron
                                2. Durrant
                                3. Harden
                                4. Kawhi
                                5. AD

I didn't put Curry in my top 5 because he needs a specific type of players around him as well as offence in order to excel. Those other guys would fit on any team and be great. Also, I hate GSW.

Comment

Working...
                                X