Everything Playoffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
    What happened to Utah? I had them pegged as one of the top 2 or 3 teams in the West this season and they aren't even in the playoffs right now.
    I mean...4th thru 14th is separated by 4 games which is insane. 6 good teams are gonna miss the playoffs. If you had them 2nd or 3rd you're higher on them than me
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

What happened to Utah? I had them pegged as one of the top 2 or 3 teams in the West this season and they aren't even in the playoffs right now.
      Their schedule so far has been murderous. They have played 20 on the road and only 12 at home... where for whatever reason they have not played lights out this year. They are a pretty pedestrian 6 and 6.

All in all after a tough sched so far they are only 2 games back of the 8th spot.

Now that Memphis has returned to earth there are three teams currently in that Utah should be able to reel in...The Lakers / Clips and Spurs....I think they make it at the expense of one of the two LA teams.
      There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
      - TGO

Comment

Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
        Their schedule so far has been murderous. They have played 20 on the road and only 12 at home... where for whatever reason they have not played lights out this year. They are a pretty pedestrian 6 and 6.

All in all after a tough sched so far they are only 2 games back of the 8th spot.

Now that Memphis has returned to earth there are three teams currently in that Utah should be able to reel in...The Lakers / Clips and Spurs....I think they make it at the expense of one of the two LA teams.
        Yeah they should turn it around, been the biggest downturn surprise for me, too.

Though maybe they just overachieved for half a year last year. It happens. (I haven't been watching too closely this year.)
        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
          Some Random Thoughts as the NBA marathon grinds on .......

Christmas is just around the corner. Its kind of an inflection point for NBA teams as they have about 6 weeks to decide if what they have is good enough for the goals that were set for the year ....or a mirage and they should start planning for next year.

The Raps .. if they are hunting for anything this year come mid Feb would be more reliable 3 point shooting than what they have been getting so far. The shooting showed up last night in spades as they just hammered the Clips.. yet this corner of the world is wondering if they have enough consistent 3 point guys for the goals set down this year which are winning the East and making their first ever appearance in the NBA Finals.

Philly will be looking for the same help at the arc as the Raps and their need is greater. If the Spurs are on the cusp of the playoffs or not maybe they sell the Hinkies Bellinelli back for a pick or a player. The Bucks have already made their move acquiring George Hill for more ball handling help and have added 3 point shooting. The Pacers to move up to business class need a quality star level player. They have all their 1st round picks. Who is on the market that meets that high bar is anyones guess. Beal ? McCollum ? Kemba ?

Trade speculation aside idle chatter on free agency and player asked for trades are also getting more air time.

The Clippers, who have had an unexpectedly good run so far are courting both Leonard and Durant as guys they are going to try to get next July very seriously... What remains to be seen is how interested Durant and Leonard are in them. Prevailing opinion is that the Clips are a mirage and they will soon fade from the playoff run in the second half of the season which will lead to numerous slow news day type clickbait headlines that will talk up that LA is the destination of choice for Durant and Leonard as its a warm weather city.. but so is Phoenix, Miami and Sacramento but no one is rushing there either. Jerry West is fantastic....Steve Balmer is a deep pocketed owner.. but the Clips are still .. even with a Durant and/or Leonard a ways away. If they get both though.. they are right there. Possible.. but unlikely.

The annual Anthony Davis to the Celtics stuff is also starting up. A Windhurst/Pelton pod spent almost 20 minutes on it. It always amazes me how highly regarded the Celtics players are by the MSM. Its TMLeaf like. The phrase " they have so many assets" borders on making everyone who hears it outside of racially tolerant Chowdertown reach for Ipecac. I personally like Jaylen Brown but a combo of Brown and a shooting challenged Marcus Smart and two mid round non lottery picks for Davis is a Rob Babcock-like trade for Anthony Davis. Smart is a skill set that works in Boston but likely won't travel all that well. Demps would be foolish if he listened to that package. But a Tatum, Rozier, Brown and at least one mid round pick would be worthwhile for a top 5 player in the league. I wonder if Ainge would do it. Likely not. But the notion of an asset laden treasure trove in Boston is more perception than reality.

The anticipated Wizards fire sale has yet to materialize. To me John Wall is the problem in DC. He also has arguably THE toughest contract to trade in the NBA right now. Both Otto Porter and B.Beal are very movable deals but with nothing in the rumour mill so far you have to think that the Whiz also think that Wall is the skunk in the room that needs to be moved. Good luck.

The Thunder have moved to the forefront of the playoff race out west. Do they have enough to knock off the Warriors. Well Russell has enough hate in him to give it a serious chance. What they need... strangely enough is 3 point shooting. JR SMith to the Thunder ?

Never a dull moment as the season moves on eh ?
          Why does it seem as if the Bucks, Sixers and Celtics all HAVE or have HAD the ability (players, picks and/or cap room) to bring in top flight help in-season while the Raptors never do? Butler, Beal, George Hill....and the Clippers chasing Durant and Kawhi.

Even with just Lowry and DeMar here, we could never add substantially. Aside from my belief that Kyle is incredibly valuable but overpaid, don't other teams have limiting (bad) contracts like Norm and Miles? How can other teams have superstars and still add? In the case of the 76ers, it's because Embiid was the only big salry they carfried before adding Butler ....

Comment

• Bucks vs Celtics tonight - who are you cheering for?

Comment

Bucks vs Celtics tonight - who are you cheering for?
              Either way it’s a win...

But it’s Pavlovian for me...go deer.
              - TGO

Comment

• If only they could both lose

Comment

Bucks vs Celtics tonight - who are you cheering for?
                  As much as I hate the Cuntics, I'll root for them tonight just to give the Raps some breathing room.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                    As much as I hate the Cuntics, I'll root for them tonight just to give the Raps some breathing room.
                    No, cheering for a Boston team is never the answer. Not even during the Christmas season. If Satan's minions play the Celtics for world domination you cheer for Satan and hope for the best....

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                      No, cheering for a Boston team is never the answer. Not even during the Christmas season. If Satan's minions play the Celtics for world domination you cheer for Satan and hope for the best....
                      I don't have fond feelings for the reindeers either, even since they claimed to be the better team after we ousted them 2 years ago.

Comment

I don't have fond feelings for the reindeers either, even since they claimed to be the better team after we ousted them 2 years ago.
                        Wasnt that morris the wizards?

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                          Wasnt that morris the wizards?
                          I'm trying to find the quote, but I thought Giannis said something similar. Along the lines of "we believe we can beat them" following the Game 6 clincher.

Comment

I'm trying to find the quote, but I thought Giannis said something similar. Along the lines of "we believe we can beat them" following the Game 6 clincher.
                            Yeah, I much prefer series ending quotes like

"if we had Lebron James we might have won"
                            -Demar Derozan

Much less confident, just the way I like my athletes

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                              Yeah, I much prefer series ending quotes like

"if we had Lebron James we might have won"
                              -Demar Derozan

Much less confident, just the way I like my athletes
                              They're both dumb comments, really.

Doesn't matter what you believe, Giannis. The point is you lost.

Ya no shit, DeRozan. #CaptainObvious

Comment

• So tonight we again get to see a patchwork lineup with the Raps holding out Serge and Kyle... and who knows maybe even Leonard. JV is projected to be out till late Jan / Early Feb.

Thing is despite being short 2 or 3 starters at any given time in the last few weeks they are still winning. This helps the guys further down the depth chart to get real minutes in close games as opposed to garbage time run. They are getting better which is the segue to what do you think we see when the playoffs start....

This cheap seat believes that Nurse has seen what he needs to see from all his players now that the season is right there at the Christmas break. I think they go 9 deep in the playoffs... and those 9 are:

Bigs are going to be Serge , JV and Pascal.
                                Wings are going to be Kawhi, Green, Delon and OG
                                Ball Handlers are going to be Kyle and FVV

CJ is going to be situational if he gets in.
                                Norm is going to have to show a lot between now and April to dislodge one of Delon or OG.

This 9 has shown they can play inside or stretch it a bit at the 5 with JV and Serge. They as a unit are putting up close to 30 and 18 a night between them. Pascal is giving them a roadrunner on the break and some sustainable inside scoring going to the basket. Pascal also gives you very defense.

Leonard is going to be even better than we have seen in the playoffs. He really does it all.. Inside scoring on drives, 3 balls at a high rate, steals for run outs and he can rebound. This is the star that Raps have never had.

The rest of the wings and ball handlers have been very good as well. The "so what can we do better" line item is....as a group they have to shoot better than they have so far. Green and Lowry have been OK to good from the arc on catch and shoot and in transition. However my coach from the stands view is that while Fred has had a game or two and OG has made a couple now and again and Delon has made a couple of big shots .......the Raps wings need to give more 3 point cowbell as a group... They get that.... and its hard to see who is going to be able to win four before they do.
                                Last edited by Demographic Shift; Fri Dec 21, 2018, 04:51 PM.
                                - TGO

Comment

Working...
                                X