Everything Playoffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post
    So everybody’s talking about how we need to get a shooter. Where is this shooter gonna slot in? I know we’re going through a tough stretch right now but if we can come back healthy, where is there room? Even though our starting lineup has seen a dozen variations due to injury, when healthy, it’s set. Each of the players led the league in on-off stats when they were able to play together. So if we go into the playoffs with KL-squared, Danny Green, Siakam and Ibaka, you think any of those guys subs out of there for a shooter? I don’t. JV as our primary scoring option coming off the bench and to take on bigger body centers, if matchups dictate. Other than that, we should always have 1 or 2 of Kyle, Kawhi, or Pascal on the floor at all times. Can Fred OG and Delon fill in to flesh that out? I’d say yes. We saw them do it continuously when the starting unit was healthy. Norm is playing well again, and we’ve seen how effective his D can be in the playoffs. CJ is all but done. Sure.

I mean, yeah, there are upgrades that could be made on FVV, Delon, OG, I suppose, but they’re still all very useful players that have shown when they’re used in the proper role, they can contribute more than effectively.

I know we’d love to have 15 all stars on our roster but that’s not the way life works.

I’m just hoping for Health. Health. Health.
    Dan has been relentless in pointing out that the biggest problem with OG, Delon, Fred and CJ is that they have been forced to take on roles that are not optimum or have had to take to the floor with a non-complimentary mix of other players. Any trade that is beneficial would have to be for players who have their talents and not their weaknesses. Those tend to be starters or at least high rotation guys. Sometimes those kind of players get waived. You may be able to make trades but every other team headed for the playoffs is going to be looking for the same guys. This season the Raptors have Kawhi along with some very complimentary teammates. Much better chance of picking up a decent waiver guy. One who is looking to advance.

I trust in Nurse and Masai. Ujiri already traded DeMar. If he needs to waive CJ or Brown to make a roster spot for a good piece, I expect he will.

Comment

• I'd love for the playoffs to start with the current seeding.
      We'd play Miami in 1st round and Indiana-Charlotte winner in the second. While Philly and Boston would have to battle each other in the first round and the winner of that matchup goes on to play against Milwaukee in the 2nd round.
      Ideally, I'd love to play Philly in the Conference finals. Kawhi would turn Simmons into a negative a player. JV would eat all the cereals and leave none for Embiid. Kyle, Siakam, Danny and all the bench guys would run circles around Butler and co. Would be the easiest road to Finals.

Comment

• JawsGT wrote: View Post
        The bucks will be the biggest test for the raps in the playoffs. I think we can take the other contenders, but giannis and company are a tough matchup for us. If we don't shoot the 3 really well, we lose. Hopefully the celts or 6ers will get the chance to take them out first.
        Bucks have that 3-ball problem even worse and feel more like one-trick pony. We're winning games without hitting 3's and without our all-star PG. If the Bucks hit they hit their 3's, they can blow out teams, otherwise, they're just a very good team. Seems like something that can be taken away with game-planning in the playoffs - that was the knock on Bud's Hawks system teams. Bud didn't have Giannis then, but Giannis' problem is that he's a lot like 2011 Lebron who could be forced to shoot contested jumpers. Raptors, on the other hand, have shown multiple styles to win games. The fact that we suck at 3-pointers and still have the best record in the NBA with key players injured and Kawhi/Kyle barely playing together is a great sign going forward. One of the biggest problem the Bucks present in the playoffs is the ability to throw 3 excellent defenders (Bledsoe, Brogdan and Hill) plus tremendous length at Lowry and FVV, but Raps should still be the clear favorites as long as Lowry & FVV don't choke. Raps in 6.

Comment

• Closing in on the half way mark. Just seems like yesterday that the pre season predictions on whose in and whose watching the NCAA was being debated. Just look back to see if you get an A.. B or a C...

So the top 5 are what we thought they were going to be... Order of finish of course is still up in the air. But Raps/Bucks/Hinkies/Pacers and Chowders are for all intents and purposes.. in.

The next tier of 6 through 8 is more fluid ... The Hornets/Heat and Pistons occupy those spots right now but its too early to count out the Nets .. Magic... and yes the Whiz. To me anyway if the Whiz make the playoffs now that Wall has gone full Carmelo and is taking the year off for injury purposes when the team had no hope ...will be a referendum on who has to go in DC. Beal or Wall.

With the top 5's tickets almost punched.. the remaining 3 slots go to....

Kemba Walker and the Hornets...Can't see the Hornets paying Kemba a max deal to finish 6 though 8 in perpetuity. So Walker is playing for his FA deal... He will get them to the post season only to crushed by one of the top 5.

The New Jersey Brooklyn Nets ! Caris Levert will be back hopefully before the All Star game. This gives the Nets a pretty solid coterie of wings and ball handlers and its enough to get them to the playoffs since their last appearance in the Mesozoic age.

And in a seat of the pants emotional choice... the Whiz ! Simply put Wall is a self centred asshole and the quicker he is out of the room the better the Whiz will be. He showed up stoned out his gourd at the USA basketball camp and has just simply quit on the Whiz this year. It would be mind blowing due the money owed but you have to think that the Wiz might consider going full Josh Smith and buying this dork out. Beal and Porter and Satoransky have enough to get them to the dance...

Just missing... Case and Griffin. They have no PG. Dwane is playing Jose at 38 as he is more dependable than Reggie. Lots of offseason work to do in Motown. As for the Heat...... Dragic is on the shelf for a couple months and has likely passed his best before date. Whiteside is first runnerup for all dork just behind Wall and ahead of Dwight Howard. The Heat need some more talent..and the best way and only way to get it it is via the draft as they are capped out. Pat Reilly bends a little and has the Heat take a knee for a better run next year.

Fading down the stretch are the Magic.... Lots of good individual pieces but they just don't seem to mesh. More sturm und drang in Orlando to come.

The tank brigade is comprised of Atlanta... Knicks... Bulls... and the Lebronless Lebrons in Cleveland. Look for Kevin Love to hit the market in February for whatever Gilbert can get for him.

Other opinions ...without too many insults.. welcomed.
          Last edited by Demographic Shift; Wed Jan 2, 2019, 02:07 PM.
          There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
          - TGO

Comment

• Not sure about the Nets. They have an absolutely brutal late season schedule, including both a 7-game road trip and then a murderer's row of the top East teams who will all be jockeying for playoff positioning.

In fact, the only team after 1-5 that I fell at all confident about is Miami. They are a really good road team (9-7), which almost always means you make the playoffs. The others, well, meh....

Charlotte is 4-11 on the road and has both its long western conference swings left. I can see them sliding.

Pistons are poor travelers as well but I tend to think Casey finds a way to get them in just by playing hard every night - there's enormous value in that.

I'd probably go Miami, Detroit, Orlando....

Comment

• Will be really interesting to see what the Cavs do with Love. He and Beal (and I suspect Beal is more of an untouchable) are probably the only two all-star caliber players that will hit the market before the deadline.

Love is far from that unicorn forward/center hybrid that most teams want. But he can shoot and can get you boards. He's worth a lot ($30M for the next 4 years, not including this year). Paying a guy that's already injury prone $34M at the age of 34 is dicey for anyone.

Who would take him? What would they offer? I could actually see Jordan and the Hornets trying to get him. Might be enough to entice Walker to stick around. At worse they can build around Love for the next couple of years. Hornets have a lot of bad contracts so can make a deal work. They also have all their picks.. something the Cavs would love to have.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                Will be really interesting to see what the Cavs do with Love. He and Beal (and I suspect Beal is more of an untouchable) are probably the only two all-star caliber players that will hit the market before the deadline.

Love is far from that unicorn forward/center hybrid that most teams want. But he can shoot and can get you boards. He's worth a lot ($30M for the next 4 years, not including this year). Paying a guy that's already injury prone $34M at the age of 34 is dicey for anyone.

Who would take him? What would they offer? I could actually see Jordan and the Hornets trying to get him. Might be enough to entice Walker to stick around. At worse they can build around Love for the next couple of years. Hornets have a lot of bad contracts so can make a deal work. They also have all their picks.. something the Cavs would love to have.
                What about the Pacers? I have no idea about their cap situation but they look like a team that wants to get into that next tier
                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                  What about the Pacers? I have no idea about their cap situation but they look like a team that wants to get into that next tier
                  Pacers are interesting too. Thad Young has been great though and they play hard defense. With Love playing big minutes for them, that might hurt not help them. But yeah that's an interesting team too.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                    Will be really interesting to see what the Cavs do with Love. He and Beal (and I suspect Beal is more of an untouchable) are probably the only two all-star caliber players that will hit the market before the deadline.

How about...just spitballing here.... Kevin Love to the... Suns.

They got what Cleveland wants.... young players at various degrees and levels of competence and lottery level draft choices....

The Cavs have what the Suns need... a veteran player to lend big dollops of credibility, leadership and production on the floor to what has become bozo land. That fucktard Sarver has almost sewered a destination franchise. This might save him and his investment.

The Suns say no to Booker or Ayton.. but after that... pick a couple of these names (Mikial Bridges/ Josh Jackson/ TJ Warren) and we will give you 2020 1st pick .. top 8 protected ....and unprotected after that.

Getting Love elevates the Suns out of the basement of the west to competing for a playoff slot. A low seed to be sure.. but a playoff seed for a franchise that hasn't been to the post season in a decade.
                    Last edited by Demographic Shift; Wed Jan 2, 2019, 04:25 PM.
                    - TGO

Comment

Pistons are another team right on the playoff bubble, who need validation for some big moves made.

Dwane "Pound the Rock" Casey has done a remarkable job turning around that franchise. The regining NBA Coach of the Year inherited a Detroit team that finished just out of the playoffs with a .476 winning percentage under Stan Van Gundy and has instilled a culture of discipline (hello 'role cards'), while being buoyed by the full and injury-free seasons of Blake Griffin and Reggie Jackson, taking Pistons to new heights and a .457 winning percentage.

Wait? What?

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                        Pistons are another team right on the playoff bubble, who need validation for some big moves made.

Dwane "Pound the Rock" Casey has done a remarkable job turning around that franchise. The regining NBA Coach of the Year inherited a Detroit team that finished just out of the playoffs with a .476 winning percentage under Stan Van Gundy and has instilled a culture of discipline (hello 'role cards'), while being buoyed by the full and injury-free seasons of Blake Griffin and Reggie Jackson, taking Pistons to new heights and a .457 winning percentage.

Wait? What?
                        I didnt even realize they were struggling again. Every time I look the pistons are either on a 5 game winning streak or a 5 game losing streak
                        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

I didnt even realize they were struggling again. Every time I look the pistons are either on a 5 game winning streak or a 5 game losing streak
                          They can't score. You can't win consistently unless you can score. In their last 10 games, they are 3-7. In 4 of those 7 losses they've scored under 100. Too hard to grind out wins when teams are putting up 120+/game regularly.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Wait? What?
                            I would love to see the Pistons try to integrate Love, Drummond, and Griffin like it's 1998.

Meanwhile Tobias Harris is exactly the kind of player you want to have on your team in the current NBA. Unlike all three of those guys.
                            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                              They can't score. You can't win consistently unless you can score. In their last 10 games, they are 3-7. In 4 of those 7 losses they've scored under 100. Too hard to grind out wins when teams are putting up 120+/game regularly.
                              and they are shitty talent evaluators...

They have drafted and let go i the last 5 years.,

Kris Middleton, Spencer Dinwidde, Kentavious Caldwell Pope... Pope is a bit of wonk but still those 3 are all better than what they have now in Glen Robinson III, Stanley Johnson, Langston Galloway and Khyri Thomas...

Exacerbating that is the run of mid teens picks who are still with the club...... Luke Kennard, Henry Ellenson

Case has his work cut out for him... they need an influx of skill via the draft.
                              SVG with the Griffin trade has left the cupboard pretty bare.
                              - TGO

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
                                SVG with the Griffin trade has left the cupboard pretty bare.
                                I've posted it more than a few times but one man can't do the job of 3 guys in today's NBA. You can't be a full-time head coach, full-time GM and full-time president. I bet each of those guys puts in somewhere between 12-15 hours/day at work. Likely more on a regular basis. And, not only that, but these are super high-stress jobs and, while you may not be working 24/7, you are on call 24/7/365. There's a huge physical and mental cost to pay in those jobs.

Comment

Working...
                                X