Likes Likes:  187
Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast

Thread: Playoff Predictions

Raptors Republic Veteran Demographic Shift's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Tonight the Wiz moved their road record to putrid 4 and 13 losing to the Atlanta Hawks.. a team thats trying to lose...

Seems apparent to most yet the President and GM of the Wizards is still hanging on to team dysfunction. When will Ernie finally capitulate and hit the reset button. Trading for Trevor Ariza ? Really ? The Wiz are still circling the drain.

At this rate .. despite some pretty big reputations and some bigger salaries...... the Wiz project to 30 odd wins and the lottery. Just can't see how a team with players that dislike each other and don't want to be there turns it around.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer MixxAOR's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
    Tonight the Wiz moved their road record to putrid 4 and 13 losing to the Atlanta Hawks.. a team thats trying to lose...

Seems apparent to most yet the President and GM of the Wizards is still hanging on to team dysfunction. When will Ernie finally capitulate and hit the reset button. Trading for Trevor Ariza ? Really ? The Wiz are still circling the drain.

At this rate .. despite some pretty big reputations and some bigger salaries...... the Wiz project to 30 odd wins and the lottery. Just can't see how a team with players that dislike each other and don't want to be there turns it around.
    Save Bradley, Masai
    First Team All Nonsense

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hitting the reset button will mean Ernie is out of a job, so I don't expect him to be the one to do it. It has to come from someone above him in the Wiz pecking order.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote LJ2 wrote: View Post
    Hitting the reset button will mean Ernie is out of a job, so I don't expect him to be the one to do it. It has to come from someone above him in the Wiz pecking order.
    Think ole Ernie is out of a job in DC anyway..

They’re capped out ..don’t have anything in the way of younger talent on the way up and their current outlook bleak.

Ernie has to hit the eject button and put together a plan for the rebuild with an eye to his next gig in an NBA front office. If he does the equivalent of standing around and does nothing..he will suffer the same fate as Billy King.
    Last edited by Demographic Shift; Wed Dec 19th, 2018 at 10:59 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Think ole Ernie is out of a job in DC anyway..

They’re capped out ..don’t have anything in the way of younger talent on the way up and their current outlook bleak.

Ernie has to hit the eject button and put together a plan for the rebuild with an eye to his next gig in an NBA front office. If he does the equivalent of standing around and does nothing..he will suffer the same fate as Billy King.
    That would be admirable of Ernie, but a new management team likely won't want to follow the plan which the previous management has put together. No, this move has to come from Ernie's superiors and has to be seen through by whomever is replacing him.

As far as Ernie goes his fate should be sealed at this point.....I say should only because he seems to have a relationship similar to Dolan and Isaah Thomas, where he has lasted this long due to something more than the results he has produced.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That would be admirable of Ernie, but a new management team likely won't want to follow the plan which the previous management has put together. No, this move has to come from Ernie's superiors and has to be seen through by whomever is replacing him.

As far as Ernie goes his fate should be sealed at this point.....I say should only because he seems to have a relationship similar to Dolan and Isaah Thomas, where he has lasted this long due to something more than the results he has produced.
    Ted Leonsis is an owner who has a history of not paying people not to work for him.....and Ernie is still under contract..not sure how long that deal is for.

That aside this situation is a repeat of the last couple years..an under achieving team...poor chemistry...populated largely with unlikeable players in Morris, Howard, Wall and Beal. They reek of punks. It’s toxic in DC and it’s fresh start time for the team and whomever they can unload of Wall or Beal helps them all.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Wizards are awful. Not because they are a necessarily bad team but because they don't even try. If Dwane Casey was there they'd be where Detroit is right now. If you watch any highlights from WSH games they give little to no effort on defense. It's actually shocking how little they try. It's definitely a team in need of a rebuild but they need new management to make it happen.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer KeonClark's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    The Wizards are awful. Not because they are a necessarily bad team but because they don't even try. If Dwane Casey was there they'd be where Detroit is right now. If you watch any highlights from WSH games they give little to no effort on defense. It's actually shocking how little they try. It's definitely a team in need of a rebuild but they need new management to make it happen.
    There was a time John wall was in the group of "next great point guard" alongside Westbrook and curry and lillard. John wall is no longer in that group
    It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote KeonClark wrote: View Post
    There was a time John wall was in the group of "next great point guard" alongside Westbrook and curry and lillard. John wall is no longer in that group
    Since I enjoy train wrecks, I've been following some of the Wizards blogs/sites. One real good comment I saw the other day was to effect of: Wall is inconsistent and he's been inconsistent so long it's the new normal but that wouldn't be so bad except when he has a bad game he drags the whole team down with him.

Compare it Lowry's poor stretch couple weeks ago. He was bad, and it hurt, but it wasn't like the team stopped playing/trying. When Wall is bad, they just give up. Now, not all that is on him. Other guy's have to take responsibility, too, but when you've got a guy like that as your leader, it's a problem.

10. Likes DanH, Rudy Bargnani liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What happened to Utah? I had them pegged as one of the top 2 or 3 teams in the West this season and they aren't even in the playoffs right now.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer KeonClark's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What happened to Utah? I had them pegged as one of the top 2 or 3 teams in the West this season and they aren't even in the playoffs right now.
    I mean...4th thru 14th is separated by 4 games which is insane. 6 good teams are gonna miss the playoffs. If you had them 2nd or 3rd you're higher on them than me
    It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Their schedule so far has been murderous. They have played 20 on the road and only 12 at home... where for whatever reason they have not played lights out this year. They are a pretty pedestrian 6 and 6.

All in all after a tough sched so far they are only 2 games back of the 8th spot.

Now that Memphis has returned to earth there are three teams currently in that Utah should be able to reel in...The Lakers / Clips and Spurs....I think they make it at the expense of one of the two LA teams.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Their schedule so far has been murderous. They have played 20 on the road and only 12 at home... where for whatever reason they have not played lights out this year. They are a pretty pedestrian 6 and 6.

All in all after a tough sched so far they are only 2 games back of the 8th spot.

Now that Memphis has returned to earth there are three teams currently in that Utah should be able to reel in...The Lakers / Clips and Spurs....I think they make it at the expense of one of the two LA teams.
    Yeah they should turn it around, been the biggest downturn surprise for me, too.

Though maybe they just overachieved for half a year last year. It happens. (I haven't been watching too closely this year.)
    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Some Random Thoughts as the NBA marathon grinds on .......

Christmas is just around the corner. Its kind of an inflection point for NBA teams as they have about 6 weeks to decide if what they have is good enough for the goals that were set for the year ....or a mirage and they should start planning for next year.

The Raps .. if they are hunting for anything this year come mid Feb would be more reliable 3 point shooting than what they have been getting so far. The shooting showed up last night in spades as they just hammered the Clips.. yet this corner of the world is wondering if they have enough consistent 3 point guys for the goals set down this year which are winning the East and making their first ever appearance in the NBA Finals.

Philly will be looking for the same help at the arc as the Raps and their need is greater. If the Spurs are on the cusp of the playoffs or not maybe they sell the Hinkies Bellinelli back for a pick or a player. The Bucks have already made their move acquiring George Hill for more ball handling help and have added 3 point shooting. The Pacers to move up to business class need a quality star level player. They have all their 1st round picks. Who is on the market that meets that high bar is anyones guess. Beal ? McCollum ? Kemba ?

Trade speculation aside idle chatter on free agency and player asked for trades are also getting more air time.

The Clippers, who have had an unexpectedly good run so far are courting both Leonard and Durant as guys they are going to try to get next July very seriously... What remains to be seen is how interested Durant and Leonard are in them. Prevailing opinion is that the Clips are a mirage and they will soon fade from the playoff run in the second half of the season which will lead to numerous slow news day type clickbait headlines that will talk up that LA is the destination of choice for Durant and Leonard as its a warm weather city.. but so is Phoenix, Miami and Sacramento but no one is rushing there either. Jerry West is fantastic....Steve Balmer is a deep pocketed owner.. but the Clips are still .. even with a Durant and/or Leonard a ways away. If they get both though.. they are right there. Possible.. but unlikely.

The annual Anthony Davis to the Celtics stuff is also starting up. A Windhurst/Pelton pod spent almost 20 minutes on it. It always amazes me how highly regarded the Celtics players are by the MSM. Its TMLeaf like. The phrase " they have so many assets" borders on making everyone who hears it outside of racially tolerant Chowdertown reach for Ipecac. I personally like Jaylen Brown but a combo of Brown and a shooting challenged Marcus Smart and two mid round non lottery picks for Davis is a Rob Babcock-like trade for Anthony Davis. Smart is a skill set that works in Boston but likely won't travel all that well. Demps would be foolish if he listened to that package. But a Tatum, Rozier, Brown and at least one mid round pick would be worthwhile for a top 5 player in the league. I wonder if Ainge would do it. Likely not. But the notion of an asset laden treasure trove in Boston is more perception than reality.

The anticipated Wizards fire sale has yet to materialize. To me John Wall is the problem in DC. He also has arguably THE toughest contract to trade in the NBA right now. Both Otto Porter and B.Beal are very movable deals but with nothing in the rumour mill so far you have to think that the Whiz also think that Wall is the skunk in the room that needs to be moved. Good luck.

The Thunder have moved to the forefront of the playoff race out west. Do they have enough to knock off the Warriors. Well Russell has enough hate in him to give it a serious chance. What they need... strangely enough is 3 point shooting. JR SMith to the Thunder ?

Never a dull moment as the season moves on eh ?
    Why does it seem as if the Bucks, Sixers and Celtics all HAVE or have HAD the ability (players, picks and/or cap room) to bring in top flight help in-season while the Raptors never do? Butler, Beal, George Hill....and the Clippers chasing Durant and Kawhi.

Even with just Lowry and DeMar here, we could never add substantially. Aside from my belief that Kyle is incredibly valuable but overpaid, don't other teams have limiting (bad) contracts like Norm and Miles? How can other teams have superstars and still add? In the case of the 76ers, it's because Embiid was the only big salry they carfried before adding Butler ....

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bucks vs Celtics tonight - who are you cheering for?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Either way it’s a win...

But it’s Pavlovian for me...go deer.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If only they could both lose

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer Nilanka's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As much as I hate the Cuntics, I'll root for them tonight just to give the Raps some breathing room.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    As much as I hate the Cuntics, I'll root for them tonight just to give the Raps some breathing room.
    No, cheering for a Boston team is never the answer. Not even during the Christmas season. If Satan's minions play the Celtics for world domination you cheer for Satan and hope for the best....

21. Likes Nilanka, Demographic Shift liked this post
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer Nilanka's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    No, cheering for a Boston team is never the answer. Not even during the Christmas season. If Satan's minions play the Celtics for world domination you cheer for Satan and hope for the best....
    I don't have fond feelings for the reindeers either, even since they claimed to be the better team after we ousted them 2 years ago.

Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast

Thread Information