No announcement yet.

Everything Playoffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If I'm Minnesota not sure I'd want to trade Jimmy to la or Houston, you're basically helping that team eliminate you with Jimmy in may
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• For balance a quick look at the East with 10% of the schedule done.
      In the words of the immortal Chief Clancy Wiggum.."Nothing to see here folks". Its unfolding pretty much as called.

In are the Raps, Bucks, Team Chowda, Hinkies, Pacers, Hornets, Heat and the Pistons.
      On the outside looking in are Nets, Wizards and ...well .....no one else.

Other than order of finish its hard to see who falls out. Possibly one of the Heat, Pistons or Hornets.
      Who can fight their way in ? Possibly the Nets or Wiz but as the Wiz limp home at 1 and 6 and as dysfunctional as the Italian Parliament its tough to see them turning it around. They have the talent but these guys just don't get along. The Nets might be able to do it but are going to have win some games against the likes of the Pistons and Heat.

So 3 spots for maybe 5 teams. Likely its 3 spots for 4 teams.. which is a nice segue to....

Does Ernie Grundfeld whack Scott Brooks before US Thanksgiving or make a trade featuring one of Wall / Beal or Porter ? Philly and the Lakers need shooters. Beal is a shooter. The Lakers can swallow hard and move Kuzma and Ingram for AGM Lebron. The Sixers would have to pony up one of Saric/Covington and maybe Zharie Smith. Could be ? Might be ? No way ?

Does Pat Reilly have any dry powder left to try to make a trade ? He is hooped financially by his own doing till 2020 unless one or all of Dragic, Whiteside or Tyler Johnson opt out of their deals next year. Given the scope of the money they are walking away from and the prospects of any of these guys getting a long term deal elsewhere the odds of them opting out unless they find a horsehead in their beds is pretty unlikely.

The Hornets like the Heat are also stuck. They are not in any way shape or form a threat for homecourt in the PO this year or next. Looking forward they have Kemba coming up next year. He makes 12 right now and he will want 30. Do you pay a guy 30M$ so you can continue to finish 6th to 8th ? Or do you say adios and try to trade him for something at the deadline ? As I said he makes 12M$ and there are not a lot of game changers out there who will play for 12M$. If your a good front office you trade Kemba now or at the deadline for picks or prospects to try to recover from Rich Cho's fuck ups. No. It ain't pretty in Jordanville.

The East is also better 1 through 5 than the West. Heresy you say. Have a look at the now tired narrative of the West is supremely better than the East at present . In the here and now the aggregate of the Raps/Chowda/Hinkies/Pacers/Bucks are in my view better than GSW/Jazz/Nuggets/Rockets/Blazers.

The West has a better middle class in the Timberpups,Clips OKC, Pellys and Spurs than the East with the Heat, Pistons, Hornets and Wizards.

Both conferences have raw sewage at the bottom in the Hawks Suns Kings Knicks, Mavs and Magic.

Lets see how things are working out by US Thanksgiving.
      Last edited by Demographic Shift; Wed Oct 31, 2018, 04:24 PM.
      There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
      - TGO

Comment

• First extended road trip of the season starts Friday in the valley of the sun. They get Phoenix Friday.. a day off... the LeBron’s West on Sunday night ..back to back with the Jazz on Monday and wrap it up against the surprising (at least for now) Excremento Kings after another day off on Wednesday.

A four game in 6 nights roadie isn’t easy.

In all likelihood the Raps will get OG back to help ease the rotation in the front court but turf toe is a long and slow to heal injury and while it’s hard to see FVV back for all games on the trip we might see him in one game..possibly two.

Think we see a very successful road trip at 3 and 1. A pummeling of Lebron and the faux contending for the playoff Lakers will be the highlight of the trip. The Lakers can spell defense but can’t play it.

The toughest game of the four will be the SGOAB2B in Utah, at altitude.

The competition in Chowderville sees them with a higher degree of difficulty in their next 4.
        They draw the Deer at home before departing for the road with stops in Indy, Denver and Phoenix.
        No B2Bs on the trip.
        Last edited by Demographic Shift; Thu Nov 1, 2018, 10:45 AM.
        - TGO

Comment

• A couple of interesting games on tap tonight.

OKC a possible playoff team in the West slide into Washington who is in a spiral right now. The Thunder need the win to close up ground in the log jam that is 5 through 12 in the west and the Whiz need it to keep from having the media and fans calling for a fire sale. Dwight Howard as the saviour suits up for the first time all year. Hard to say which way this goes. Thinking OKC adds to the Wiz’s woes and adds a nail to the coffin of Scott Brooks who may not see US Thanksgiving.

Houston visits Brooklyn. Houston is really scuffling at 1 and 5 and while you can’t win it early you can certainly put yourself in the deepest of holes that puts the season on the brink. Brooklyn, if they are going to make a push to overtake one of Miami or Charlotte, to squeeze into the playoffs have to take games when an oppty that normally isn’t there presents itself. No Harden and Houston isn’t in synch at all. In what might be seen as an upset the Nets take this one at home and slide into the final PO spot.
          - TGO

Comment

• ReubenJRD wrote: View Post
            Eastern Conference:

1. Boston
            2. Toronto
            3. Philly
            4. Indiana
            5. Washington
            6. Milwaukee
            7. Miami
            8. Detroit/Charlotte

I've got Boston ahead, because as Nurse said, they're integrating two completely new pieces, with a new coach. They'll be sacrificing games, and I assume they'll be right around the same win-mark as last season. I'd say BOS manages +62 wins based on continuity and adding their star point guard and forward. TOR right around 57-61 wins.

Also, I think Indiana potentially could be the third seed over Philly. A lot of people underrate, or just don't have a single clue about Myles Turner. He's going to improve significantly, alongside Oladipo, with some really solid additions this offseason.

Western Conference:

1. Golden State
            2. Houston
            3. Spurs
            4. Jazz
            5. Oklahoma City
            6. Lakers
            7. Portland
            8. Minnesota

I like the Spurs and the Jazz making some steps forward this year. The Spurs managed 47 wins without Kawhi Leonard or DeMar DeRozan. They'll have DeMar, that alone makes them upwards of a +50 win team in my opinion.

Donovan Mitchell and that crew is going to make some major strides. After knocking out the Thunder, they'll be a force next year.
            I'm changing my stance entirely with both conferences:

EAST:

1. Toronto
            2. Boston
            3. Milwaukee
            4. Indiana
            5. Philly
            6. Detroit
            7. Miami
            8. Brooklyn

WEST:

1. Golden State
            2. Utah
            3. Houston
            4. San Antonio
            5. Denver
            6. Portland
            7. New Orleans
            8. Oklahoma City/Los Angeles Lakers or Clippers
            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• ReubenJRD wrote: View Post
              WEST:

1. Golden State
              2. Utah
              3. Houston
              4. San Antonio
              5. Denver
              6. Portland
              7. New Orleans
              8. Oklahoma City/Los Angeles Lakers or Clippers
              I'd drop SAS down to #6 but otherwise agree.
              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                I'd drop SAS down to #6 but otherwise agree.
                I can see why you'd drop with 6th, I actually think San Antonio/Denver/Portland will be within that 4th-5th-6th area. With the injuries, at some point San Antonio probably does fall to the lower end of the three, but with the way they're playing, they're like a well-oiled machine right now.

Comment

• Also, after the first two weeks or so into the season, the Western Conference isn't all that heavy as I once thought. They've got the better overall player talent, but the East is pretty stacked from 1-to-5 (TOR-BOS-MIL-IND-PHI), all teams that I think are capable of being top fives in the West. BOS/TOR are easily a two-seed in the West, IMO.

Comment

• A couple three under the radar games going tonight.

Miami goes into Detroit tonight. Its an early season "statement game" albeit at a different level. These two teams figure to be duking it out to see who finishes in the playoffs this year. Maybe at the expense of the other. After an 4 and 0 start the Pistons have dropped their last 4. The Heat who are looking to see if they can trade for Jimmy Butler are pretty much the same band of gritty pluggers they were last year. Both teams need to win games like these to make the PO. Have a feeling tie breakers will play a role at the end of the season on who is in and who is out. Think Detroit takes this one with Blake Griffin leading the charge.

The Bulls visit the Knicks at MSG. Maybe these are just two teams who are looking to maximize their draft position but the Knicks have a possible winning lottery ticket ready to be cashed in if Kristaps Porzingis can get back by Christmas. A win here keeps the pretty... well very .. meh Knicks close to 8th in the event the Zinger is ready to play sooner rather than later. The Knicks off season will be focused on using up their available cap space to add impact talent rather than the draft. A young team with a taste of the playoffs may get a player of note to join them if they have a playoff to point to. The Bulls have started poorly with Markaanen on the shelf till early December and they may have already decided to pooch the season and add another player in the draft. So this makes this game interesting. Who is playing to win and who is looking like they are playing to win. Think the Knicks take this one.

Boston visits Denver. Denver has had a great start at 8 and 1 and wants to keep the ball rolling. Boston has had a tough start with games against the Raps/Hinkies/Bucks/Pacers in their first 9. They can easily recover but but don't want to go 6 and 4. Isiah Thomas is still on the shelf though it would be great if he was ready to play against the team that fucked him over. Its a coin flip. Look for the home team to take this one.
                    Last edited by Demographic Shift; Mon Nov 5, 2018, 01:37 PM.
                    - TGO

Comment

• Boston lost in Denver last night. A lot of teams are going to lose in Denver this season so its not that noteworthy. What is of interest is that its now 10 games in and one Gordon Hayward doesn't look like the guy who made Utah relevant for a few years. He is playing in more games than Leonard is but he is not near the productivity level that Leonard has shown when he is playing.

Already he is getting the third most minutes on the wing behind both Tatum and Brown. I wonder if Trader Danny is having slight pangs of buyers remorse. Irving showed some emotion for the first time this year after Murray lit him up for 48 and tried to get the equivalent of an empty netter for the hat trick taking a shot to crack 50 with a second or so to go. Should have shown that kinda moxie and spunk during the game Kyrie.

Its still early... and if anyone can right the ship its the coaching deity that goes by only one name.. it seems Brads got some work in front of him.

Anyone else think the LebronCo. isn't going to make the playoffs as currently constructed. Firing Walton won't help. They should probably tell the new guy that the horse he is going to have to ride is blind in one eye and lame. Houston wants Butler. The Lakers need him if they are going to make the post season.

Houston with the return of Harden is now on a roll. Beating the Pacers in Indy is going to be pretty tough this year. Houston managed that.

The Bucks look pretty effin good. We shall see how good as they embark on a 4 game western roadie. Unlike the Raps who drew Sun, Lakers and Kings in their trip.. The Deer get Portland, GSW, the Clippers and wind it up on the second game of a back to back in Denver at altitude. 2 and 2 would be outstanding ... 1 and 3 is likely and oh-fer is not out of the question.
                      If the Deer come back 3 and 1 then theres another big dog in the East for Les Raptors to watch closely.
                      Last edited by Demographic Shift; Tue Nov 6, 2018, 03:01 PM.
                      - TGO

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
                        Boston lost in Denver last night. A lot of teams are going to lose in Denver this season so its not that noteworthy. What is of interest is that its now 10 games in and one Gordon Hayward doesn't look like the guy who made Utah relevant for a few years. He is playing in more games than Leonard is but he is not near the productivity level that Leonard has shown when he is playing.

Already he is getting the third most minutes on the wing behind both Tatum and Brown. I wonder if Trader Danny is having slight pangs of buyers remorse. Irving showed some emotion for the first time this year after Murray lit him up for 48 and tried to get the equivalent of an empty netter for the hat trick taking a shot to crack 50 with a second or so to go. Should have shown that kinda moxie and spunk during the game Kyrie.

Its still early... and if anyone can right the ship its the coaching deity that goes by only one name.. it seems Brads got some work in front of him.

Anyone else think the LebronCo. isn't going to make the playoffs as currently constructed. Firing Walton won't help. They should probably tell the new guy that the horse he is going to have to ride is blind in one eye and lame. Houston wants Butler. The Lakers need him if they are going to make the post season.

Houston with the return of Harden is now on a roll. Beating the Pacers in Indy is going to be pretty tough this year. Houston managed that.

The Bucks look pretty effin good. We shall see how good as they embark on a 4 game western roadie. Unlike the Raps who drew Sun, Lakers and Kings in their trip.. The Deer get Portland, GSW, the Clippers and wind it up on the second game of a back to back in Denver at altitude. 2 and 2 would be outstanding ... 1 and 3 is likely and oh-fer is not out of the question.
                        I've always found "sports code" to be the dumbest shit.

"How dare you try and score with the clock winding down!!!"

"Errr ma gerrrd, you flipped yer bat!!!"

Like you said, maybe try playing defence for once in your life, Kyrie.

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
                          Boston lost in Denver last night. A lot of teams are going to lose in Denver this season so its not that noteworthy. What is of interest is that its now 10 games in and one Gordon Hayward doesn't look like the guy who made Utah relevant for a few years. He is playing in more games than Leonard is but he is not near the productivity level that Leonard has shown when he is playing.

If the Deer come back 3 and 1 then theres another big dog in the East for Les Raptors to watch closely.
                          Celts will be fine. I am holding to my prediction that Hayward will go to the bench and once that happens they will be better. Houston is fine.

Lakers will get better and I suspect Lebron wills them into the playoffs somehow but that roster is a bit of a mess and they have a ragged style of play.

Not sold on the Bucks yet. Come talk to me in February.

Comment

• Another day in the NBA and another round of fearless and feckless prognostications on games that might show how the season and the playoff seedings might shake out. Tonight there are a couple of under the radar games to try to calibrate who is going to finish where and what if any repercussions might be felt as the season is now in full swing.

Detroit goes into Orlando. The Pistons lost at home to Miami, a team they are neck and neck with to get a playoff spot. They tied it late and lost it in OT. Can they shake that nut crusher off and win in Orlando against a team thats going nowhere fast ? Pistons.

The Hinkies travel to Hoosier town. The Hinkies, the pre-season darlings of the NBA national media are currently scuffling. They were pretty much the de facto pick to challenge the Chowda's for Eastern Conference hegemony and yet here we sit 10 games in and the Hinks are looking to show they are good enough for home court. The dark horse Pacers with wins over Boston and the Spurs but with losses to Houston and Bucks are still not a lead pipe cinch to have home court in the playoffs. In a conference game with seeding implications in play tonight that could give an indication on which horse is the better bet in the EC race.. the call is Pacers.

Minnesota visits the Lakers. Is tonight a job audition for Jimmy .. that is .. if he plays. The Lakers fresh off a humilating loss to the Raptors take on a team that is scuffling to make the playoffs and has a player the Lakers likely covet in Butler. Watch for Jimmy to help his cause two fold. If he has to stay the Wolves beat a team they have to beat for a playoff spot. If he is to go.. put on a show for Magic and Pelinka that causes the ever cautious LA Media to demand a trade for him. Minnesota win.
                            Last edited by Demographic Shift; Wed Nov 7, 2018, 11:49 AM.
                            - TGO

Comment

• I'm almost convinced that this year's nutty Lakers roster was assembled on purpose, specifically to generate enough drama for a reality show. Won't be the least bit surprised if we find out that Lebron's media company was given the rights to film all this stuff.

Lance, Javale, Rondo & Beasley, with LaVar Ball lurking in the background. C'mon.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                                I'm almost convinced that this year's nutty Lakers roster was assembled on purpose, specifically to generate enough drama for a reality show. Won't be the least bit surprised if we find out that Lebron's media company was given the rights to film all this stuff.

Lance, Javale, Rondo & Beasley, with LaVar Ball lurking in the background. C'mon.
                                Yeah, the Open Gym on that crew... yowsah

Comment

Working...
                                X