Everything Backup Center 2018-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

inthepaint wrote: View Post
    I feel like wood could play the 4 as well. He's about the same height as Serge (slightly taller), but it's 15 pounds lighter and much faster. It looks like he's got a 3pt range and great shot blocking instincts, which actually reminds me a lot of younger Serge. I don't know how he does attacking closeouts on the perimeter (but Ibaka himslef fouls a lot on those).

Agree with Bebe and Monroe though, they're strictly centers, but I think wood would be more versatile. He's also only 22, and as a big, will typically peak later. I think that out of anyone that can be signed by the minimum, he's the player with the best combination of "ready to contribute now" and future upside, while also being the most versatile.

I don't know if he can play the 4. Requires a change in his game. Serge gets a lot of slack but he's a pro. So adjustments for him would be a lot easier I would imagine, plus Serge played the 4 a lot in his career (next to Adams/Kanter in OKC and Biyombo/Vucevic in Orlando). Has Wood ever played the 4?

From that video he looked like Anthony Davis, but can never stick with a club. Wonder if he's a headcase? Or if his IQ is so bad that coach's just don't want to keep giving him opportunities.

Ultimately I wouldn't be mad if we took Wood.. but I can see why the Raps worked out T-Rob. T-Rob is a much more natural 4 than Wood would be.

Comment

inthepaint wrote: View Post
      I feel like wood could play the 4 as well. He's about the same height as Serge (slightly taller), but it's 15 pounds lighter and much faster. It looks like he's got a 3pt range and great shot blocking instincts, which actually reminds me a lot of younger Serge. I don't know how he does attacking closeouts on the perimeter (but Ibaka himslef fouls a lot on those).

Agree with Bebe and Monroe though, they're strictly centers, but I think wood would be more versatile. He's also only 22, and as a big, will typically peak later. I think that out of anyone that can be signed by the minimum, he's the player with the best combination of "ready to contribute now" and future upside, while also being the most versatile.

Wood can play the 4 as well as the 5. If I remember that draft correctly; that was his position (PF).
      Last edited by Just Is; Thu Aug 2, 2018, 12:00 PM.
      "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
      "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

I don't really want another big who can play beside JV. The only injury scenario where the team would be in trouble is if JV went down. Lose a PF, you play smaller for a while. But if you are stuck trying to guard Embiid or Cousins with Ibaka as your biggest player, or you are just generally getting your behind handed to you on the boards with JV out, there's not really an answer for that problem on the roster right now.

Need rebounding and ideally shot blocking (but mostly size and rebounding) from that third string C spot.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Mavs waiving Chinanu Onuaku after acquiring him from Houston earlier this offseason

Comment

ReubenJRD wrote: View Post

Boucher is damn long, active, can crash the boards and has terrific defensive instincts. Obviously the competition isn't nearly as good (no offense), but he has serious potential.
            I saw some of the highlights in the UCLA pickup game and Boucher on defence was pushed around too many times by big guards on the way to the basket. Boucher can do a few things but because he is a stringbean he would be eaten alive worse then Poeltl was in the playoffs.

Find the best defensive big you can, forget the scoring.

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
              I saw some of the highlights in the UCLA pickup game and Boucher on defence was pushed around too many times by big guards on the way to the basket. Boucher can do a few things but because he is a stringbean he would be eaten alive worse then Poeltl was in the playoffs.

Find the best defensive big you can, forget the scoring.
              I like his potential, if he's got the basketball smarts, and can apply the physicality throughout his development, I'd take the flyer. Again, the rest of my quote was up there: I'll take him as the third-stringer. Cheaper, younger, and I'd prefer that over Thomas Robinson, and for sure Monroe.
              Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

I like his potential, if he's got the basketball smarts, and can apply the physicality throughout his development, I'd take the flyer. Again, the rest of my quote was up there: I'll take him as the third-stringer. Cheaper, younger, and I'd prefer that over Thomas Robinson, and for sure Monroe.
                It might need to be pointed out in case some people don't know, Boucher is 25.

That is young but it is a concern that he still looks like a skinny teenager. He will struggle badly with NBA size. He needs to improve his perimeter skills big time on both ends to have a chance at sticking long term in the league. And could be too old to expect that.

I like Wood because he's a couple years younger. He'll be 23 when the season starts, and he looks like he has filled out at least a little bit (he was a stick as a prospect, much like Boucher), so maybe he'll be better able to adapt to NBA size.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                  It might need to be pointed out in case some people don't know, Boucher is 25.

That is young but it is a concern that he still looks like a skinny teenager. He will struggle badly with NBA size. He needs to improve his perimeter skills big time on both ends to have a chance at sticking long term in the league. And could be too old to expect that.

I like Wood because he's a couple years younger. He'll be 23 when the season starts, and he looks like he has filled out at least a little bit (he was a stick as a prospect, much like Boucher), so maybe he'll be better able to adapt to NBA size.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
                  Fair enough, I'm on the wagon because I saw what he was capable of doing. I'm not too familiar with Wood, so I'll defer to those that obviously are.

Obviously in the NBA, guys need to be able to hold their own physically, but Boucher really is gifted defensively, I just think since he's already on a camp deal, take the flyer.

Personally, I think he's better suited at the four (not that positions matter in today's NBA). He's got pretty good lateral quicks, and does have the ability to spread the floor.

Comment

Cole Aldrich. Not particularly a fan of his game, but he's an experienced NBA big man that can rebound and defend traditional centers. If nothing else, he's good for 6 hard fouls on Embiid to keep JV out of foul trouble.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                      Cole Aldrich. Not particularly a fan of his game, but he's an experienced NBA big man that can rebound and defend traditional centers. If nothing else, he's good for 6 hard fouls on Embiid to keep JV out of foul trouble.
                      Sorry, I don't mean to sound like a dick, but, are you serious? I cannot tell sarcasm through text.

I'd rather sign Thomas Robinson to a max deal.

Comment

Yeah I wouldn't mind something along those lines. I was trying to think of an Aaron Gray-type. Just need a guy who is a big body, will rarely actually play, will be there in case of injury or for 10 mpg against Cousins-type C's as needed (rare).

Otherwise, they aren't looking for a guy to fill Poeltl's 18 mpg. Those minutes will go to playing small more, playing OG/Kawhi at the 4 at times, using Ibaka/Siakam at the 5 at times (those guys are really the backup C, this minimum $ guy will be a Bebe replacement), and fitting another wing player into the rotation as Poeltl's essentially been replaced by Danny Green.

I think they do need a guy with size. If he's stringy or undersized they may as well be playing Ibaka/Siakam at the 5 and small lineups - that's a much better look than the talent you'll get with the available $.

Also, the potential "small" lineups aren't even that small. Kawhi, OG, even Green and Miles all have good size. We're now in a league where guys like PJ Tucker play the 4 and the 5.
                        Last edited by S.R.; Fri Aug 3, 2018, 04:31 PM.
                        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Sorry, I don't mean to sound like a dick, but, are you serious? I cannot tell sarcasm through text.

I'd rather sign Thomas Robinson to a max deal.
                          Totally serious. For the backup C, I think we need a big body who can defend the post and rebound, rather than a hybrid PF/C like T-Rob and definitely not a bean pole like Boucher. After JV, the size and strength drops off considerably to Ibaka, who is surprisingly softer than anybody expected. Aldrich is a big body who can defend and rebound. That's about all he can do, but I think we need that insurance. More importantly, he's available and I'm having a hard time coming up with other FAs who could fit the bill.

Comment

Totally serious. For the backup C, I think we need a big body who can defend the post and rebound, rather than a hybrid PF/C like T-Rob and definitely not a bean pole like Boucher. After JV, the size and strength drops off considerably to Ibaka, whose surprisingly softer than anybody expected. Aldrich is a big body who can defend and rebound. That's about all he can do, but I think we need that insurance. More importantly, he's available and I'm having a hard time coming up with other FAs who could fit the bill.
                            Fair enough.

I don't really like any option being discussed. I was really sad that O'Quinn got picked up so quickly by Indiana. He was one of my favourite options for the MLE.

Comment

When you start looking at guys like Cole, you're pretty much looking for any warm body with size. May as well bring Nog back.

Comment

LJ2 wrote: View Post
                                When you start looking at guys like Cole, you're pretty much looking for any warm body with size. May as well bring Nog back.
                                I really like Bebe, but he can't rebound to save his life. That's the one area we're missing. If JV goes down, we're going get slaughtered on the boards. We have great perimeter defenders now, but somebody has to finish those defensive possessions.

I mean, we're talking backup center here. I don't see that much difference between Aldrich and a guy like Aron Baynes, who he'd be going up against sometimes.
                                Last edited by golden; Fri Aug 3, 2018, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X