Likes Likes:  5
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Everything Backup Center 2018-19

Raptors Republic Superstar ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Hotshot wrote: View Post
    I saw some of the highlights in the UCLA pickup game and Boucher on defence was pushed around too many times by big guards on the way to the basket. Boucher can do a few things but because he is a stringbean he would be eaten alive worse then Poeltl was in the playoffs.

Find the best defensive big you can, forget the scoring.
    I like his potential, if he's got the basketball smarts, and can apply the physicality throughout his development, I'd take the flyer. Again, the rest of my quote was up there: I'll take him as the third-stringer. Cheaper, younger, and I'd prefer that over Thomas Robinson, and for sure Monroe.
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer white men can't jump's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote ReubenJRD wrote: View Post
    I like his potential, if he's got the basketball smarts, and can apply the physicality throughout his development, I'd take the flyer. Again, the rest of my quote was up there: I'll take him as the third-stringer. Cheaper, younger, and I'd prefer that over Thomas Robinson, and for sure Monroe.
    It might need to be pointed out in case some people don't know, Boucher is 25.

That is young but it is a concern that he still looks like a skinny teenager. He will struggle badly with NBA size. He needs to improve his perimeter skills big time on both ends to have a chance at sticking long term in the league. And could be too old to expect that.

I like Wood because he's a couple years younger. He'll be 23 when the season starts, and he looks like he has filled out at least a little bit (he was a stick as a prospect, much like Boucher), so maybe he'll be better able to adapt to NBA size.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    It might need to be pointed out in case some people don't know, Boucher is 25.

That is young but it is a concern that he still looks like a skinny teenager. He will struggle badly with NBA size. He needs to improve his perimeter skills big time on both ends to have a chance at sticking long term in the league. And could be too old to expect that.

I like Wood because he's a couple years younger. He'll be 23 when the season starts, and he looks like he has filled out at least a little bit (he was a stick as a prospect, much like Boucher), so maybe he'll be better able to adapt to NBA size.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Fair enough, I'm on the wagon because I saw what he was capable of doing. I'm not too familiar with Wood, so I'll defer to those that obviously are.

Obviously in the NBA, guys need to be able to hold their own physically, but Boucher really is gifted defensively, I just think since he's already on a camp deal, take the flyer.

Personally, I think he's better suited at the four (not that positions matter in today's NBA). He's got pretty good lateral quicks, and does have the ability to spread the floor.

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cole Aldrich. Not particularly a fan of his game, but he's an experienced NBA big man that can rebound and defend traditional centers. If nothing else, he's good for 6 hard fouls on Embiid to keep JV out of foul trouble.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote golden wrote: View Post
    Cole Aldrich. Not particularly a fan of his game, but he's an experienced NBA big man that can rebound and defend traditional centers. If nothing else, he's good for 6 hard fouls on Embiid to keep JV out of foul trouble.
    Sorry, I don't mean to sound like a dick, but, are you serious? I cannot tell sarcasm through text.

I'd rather sign Thomas Robinson to a max deal.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah I wouldn't mind something along those lines. I was trying to think of an Aaron Gray-type. Just need a guy who is a big body, will rarely actually play, will be there in case of injury or for 10 mpg against Cousins-type C's as needed (rare).

Otherwise, they aren't looking for a guy to fill Poeltl's 18 mpg. Those minutes will go to playing small more, playing OG/Kawhi at the 4 at times, using Ibaka/Siakam at the 5 at times (those guys are really the backup C, this minimum $ guy will be a Bebe replacement), and fitting another wing player into the rotation as Poeltl's essentially been replaced by Danny Green.

I think they do need a guy with size. If he's stringy or undersized they may as well be playing Ibaka/Siakam at the 5 and small lineups - that's a much better look than the talent you'll get with the available $.

Also, the potential "small" lineups aren't even that small. Kawhi, OG, even Green and Miles all have good size. We're now in a league where guys like PJ Tucker play the 4 and the 5.
    Last edited by S.R.; Fri Aug 3rd, 2018 at 03:31 PM.
    John Hancock

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote ReubenJRD wrote: View Post
    Sorry, I don't mean to sound like a dick, but, are you serious? I cannot tell sarcasm through text.

I'd rather sign Thomas Robinson to a max deal.
    Totally serious. For the backup C, I think we need a big body who can defend the post and rebound, rather than a hybrid PF/C like T-Rob and definitely not a bean pole like Boucher. After JV, the size and strength drops off considerably to Ibaka, who is surprisingly softer than anybody expected. Aldrich is a big body who can defend and rebound. That's about all he can do, but I think we need that insurance. More importantly, he's available and I'm having a hard time coming up with other FAs who could fit the bill.

8. Likes S.R. liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Totally serious. For the backup C, I think we need a big body who can defend the post and rebound, rather than a hybrid PF/C like T-Rob and definitely not a bean pole like Boucher. After JV, the size and strength drops off considerably to Ibaka, whose surprisingly softer than anybody expected. Aldrich is a big body who can defend and rebound. That's about all he can do, but I think we need that insurance. More importantly, he's available and I'm having a hard time coming up with other FAs who could fit the bill.
    Fair enough.

I don't really like any option being discussed. I was really sad that O'Quinn got picked up so quickly by Indiana. He was one of my favourite options for the MLE.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When you start looking at guys like Cole, you're pretty much looking for any warm body with size. May as well bring Nog back.

11. Likes ReubenJRD liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote LJ2 wrote: View Post
    When you start looking at guys like Cole, you're pretty much looking for any warm body with size. May as well bring Nog back.
    I really like Bebe, but he can't rebound to save his life. That's the one area we're missing. If JV goes down, we're going get slaughtered on the boards. We have great perimeter defenders now, but somebody has to finish those defensive possessions.

I mean, we're talking backup center here. I don't see that much difference between Aldrich and a guy like Aron Baynes, who he'd be going up against sometimes.
    Last edited by golden; Fri Aug 3rd, 2018 at 03:43 PM.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Tmac2darak wrote: View Post
    Quite new to these forums so dont know if the title is allowed or something similar is posted.
    If so let's chat back up Center.
    Who would you like to see?
    Christian Wood
    Thomas Robinson
    Greg Monroe(yikes)
    Other?
    How about ... Greg Monroe? :-)

Why the 'yikes'?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information