No announcement yet.

Everything Greg Monroe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's cool that a big is trying to expand their game but I don't want to see Monroe jacking up three unless there's less than 2 seconds on the shot clock and every other Raptor player has tripped over their shoe laces and is lying on the floor..... and looking away

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post
      It's cool that a big is trying to expand their game but I don't want to see Monroe jacking up three unless there's less than 2 seconds on the shot clock and every other Raptor player has tripped over their shoe laces and is lying on the floor..... and looking away
      I say he should launch away, for the first half of the season, anyway. Every reason to believe he could be a decent shooter. I agree he shouldn't be launching early in the clock, but I wouldn't restrict him to end of clock situations. Just run some action first.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
        I say he should launch away, for the first half of the season, anyway. Every reason to believe he could be a decent shooter. I agree he shouldn't be launching early in the clock, but I wouldn't restrict him to end of clock situations. Just run some action first.
        Agreed. If he's taking it when the shot clock is winding down and has to rush or feels pressure he's never going to make it. He's better off taking it when there is still some time on the shot clock and we've ran some good action like you said. Then he can somewhat take his time and not rush
        I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

It's cool that a big is trying to expand their game but I don't want to see Monroe jacking up three unless there's less than 2 seconds on the shot clock and every other Raptor player has tripped over their shoe laces and is lying on the floor..... and looking away
          Hahahaha. I agreed very few attempts coming from Monroe unless like u say.

Comment

Well, I just have to disagree then. I'm interested in how you come to the conclusion that there "every reason to believe he could be a decent (3 pt) shooter"?

Monroe has never made a three-pointer over his eight-year professional career, and has only attempted 12 shots from long range over that time lol !!!

A three point attempt from him should only be a novelty attemped in blowouts or time violations or a completely broken play imo

Comment

Well, I just have to disagree then. I'm interested in how you come to the conclusion that there "every reason to believe he could be a decent (3 pt) shooter"?

Monroe has never made a three-pointer over his eight-year professional career, and has only attempted 12 shots from long range over that time lol !!!

A three point attempt from him should only be a novelty attemped in blowouts or time violations or a completely broken play imo
              Brook Lopez did not attempt any 3 pointers till his 9th season in the NBA at age 28. Over his fisrt 8 years he was 3 for 30. In his first year using the 3 point shot on a regular basis he went 134/387 for 34.6%.

Now Monroe will not be getting the minutes that Lopez did, but to think that he has no chance of being a 3 point threat is not true. Am I convinced he will be reliable, no, will I be shocked if he hits over 30%, no.
              Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Valanciunas has made ONE three-pointer over his five-year professional career, and has only attempted 4 shots from long range over that time lol !!!

I'm interested in how you come to the conclusion that he could be a decent (3 pt) shooter?
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Fair enough. I don't want to see JV jack up 3's either. It's a novelty, it's fun when they drop but that's it. He's the 5th option on the floor for 3's and I sure don't want to see him hanging around out there waiitng for them .... rather him bangin' than hangin'

Comment

Fair enough. I don't want to see JV jack up 3's either. It's a novelty, it's fun when they drop but that's it. He's the 5th option on the floor for 3's and I sure don't want to see him hanging around out there waiitng for them .... rather him bangin' than hangin'
                    Versatility is good. More weapons is good. Have to take threes on a decent volume to have a spacing effect, which is the end goal for the offence.

Nobody wants them both standing at the line doing nothing else. But 5th option for threes means he's the 5th most heavily covered for threes. Make that guy into a threat from distance and the defence can never relax.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Monroe doesn't necessarily need to hang out at the 3pt line to space the floor. Someone will need to suck the defence in so he's likely going to play out of the post anyway. His assist numbers reflect he's the best passer amongst our bigs and this will be the best team he's played for. I expect him to have a career season racking up assists.

Comment

• Come on guys how many mins is Monroe even going to get.

Comment

• Tmac2darak wrote: View Post
                          Come on guys how many mins is Monroe even going to get.
                          Well, if knock-on-wood there's an injury to JV or Ibaka, he could see as much time as Poeltl last year. But if not, yeah, probably very little.

I like that he's extending his range. Not that I would want him at PF (we've got several better options there), but if he can match Serge's shooting %, now all of a sudden we've got a big that's a better passer, better rebounder, and at least as good a shooter as Serge. (albeit probably worse defensively)

At minimum this is some nice internal competition for Ibaka, and extra motivation for him to bounce-back. The team is kinda stacked now, so a nice side effect of that is that everyone whose initials are not KL need to watch their backs if they don't wanna see their minutes dwindle.
                          Last edited by inthepaint; Mon Aug 27, 2018, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Versatility is good. More weapons is good. Have to take threes on a decent volume to have a spacing effect, which is the end goal for the offence.

Nobody wants them both standing at the line doing nothing else. But 5th option for threes means he's the 5th most heavily covered for threes. Make that guy into a threat from distance and the defence can never relax.
                            I like versatility too, but I wasn't a big fan of 2Pat turning down open 3's in favour of his "new skill", i.e., awkward dribble drives from the perimeter trying to get fouled in the paint, like DeRozan.

Comment

• Tmac2darak wrote: View Post
                              Come on guys how many mins is Monroe even going to get.
                              Well, if the recent past veteran signings are any indication ...Salmons, Scola, Sullinger, ....then Monroe will get some decent minutes.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                                Well, if the recent past veteran signings are any indication ...Salmons, Scola, Sullinger, ....then Monroe will get some decent minutes.
                                See him with 7 to 10 mins per game..lower range if JV isn’t in foul trouble out of the gate in 1st half
                                JV gets his 26 to 28
                                Ibalka and Pascal get 8 to 12 mins a game.

Nurse isn’t as all in on veterans and minutes for vets as Dwane was. Not a condemnation of DC..just an approach change. Thinking that with this lineup outside of Serge and JV ...it can be a track meet.
                                There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                                - TGO

Comment

Working...
                                X