Likes Likes:  83
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Thread: Everything Greg Monroe

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Come on guys how many mins is Monroe even going to get.

Raptors Republic Starter inthepaint's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Tmac2darak wrote: View Post
    Well, if knock-on-wood there's an injury to JV or Ibaka, he could see as much time as Poeltl last year. But if not, yeah, probably very little.

I like that he's extending his range. Not that I would want him at PF (we've got several better options there), but if he can match Serge's shooting %, now all of a sudden we've got a big that's a better passer, better rebounder, and at least as good a shooter as Serge. (albeit probably worse defensively)

At minimum this is some nice internal competition for Ibaka, and extra motivation for him to bounce-back. The team is kinda stacked now, so a nice side effect of that is that everyone whose initials are not KL need to watch their backs if they don't wanna see their minutes dwindle.
    Last edited by inthepaint; Mon Aug 27th, 2018 at 09:25 PM.

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote DanH wrote: View Post
    Versatility is good. More weapons is good. Have to take threes on a decent volume to have a spacing effect, which is the end goal for the offence.

Nobody wants them both standing at the line doing nothing else. But 5th option for threes means he's the 5th most heavily covered for threes. Make that guy into a threat from distance and the defence can never relax.
    I like versatility too, but I wasn't a big fan of 2Pat turning down open 3's in favour of his "new skill", i.e., awkward dribble drives from the perimeter trying to get fouled in the paint, like DeRozan.

4. Likes MACK11 liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, if the recent past veteran signings are any indication ...Salmons, Scola, Sullinger, ....then Monroe will get some decent minutes.

Raptors Republic Veteran Demographic Shift's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote LJ2 wrote: View Post
    Well, if the recent past veteran signings are any indication ...Salmons, Scola, Sullinger, ....then Monroe will get some decent minutes.
    See him with 7 to 10 mins per game..lower range if JV isnít in foul trouble out of the gate in 1st half
    JV gets his 26 to 28
    Ibalka and Pascal get 8 to 12 mins a game.

Nurse isnít as all in on veterans and minutes for vets as Dwane was. Not a condemnation of DC..just an approach change. Thinking that with this lineup outside of Serge and JV ...it can be a track meet.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
    See him with 7 to 10 mins per game..lower range if JV isnít in foul trouble out of the gate in 1st half
    JV gets his 26 to 28
    Ibalka and Pascal get 8 to 12 mins a game.

Nurse isnít as all in on veterans and minutes for vets as Dwane was. Not a condemnation of DC..just an approach change. Thinking that with this lineup outside of Serge and JV ...it can be a track meet.
    I've always thought that playing...and sometimes over playing those vets is part of a bargain which Masai has with them to lure them to Toronto. Like, hey Greg, you probably aren't going to see much playing time with the other teams are options for you, but if you come to Toronto, I guarantee we allow you an opportunity to showcase yourself all season.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer DanH's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote golden wrote: View Post
    I like versatility too, but I wasn't a big fan of 2Pat turning down open 3's in favour of his "new skill", i.e., awkward dribble drives from the perimeter trying to get fouled in the paint, like DeRozan.
    Agreed. The whole point of being a three point shooter is to shoot.

9. Likes MACK11 liked this post
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer KeonClark's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think he'll appear in most games and play anywhere from 5 to 22 minutes depending on the situation and how he's performing
    It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer MixxAOR's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote KeonClark wrote: View Post
    I think he'll appear in most games and play anywhere from 5 to 22 minutes depending on the situation and how he's performing
    Which is a recipe for him to get overrated. He'll play a lot of minutes when he's good and when he's not playing a lot of minutes people will ask why he's not playing.
    First Team All Nonsense

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Koreen has a nice article on Munroe in The Athletic. A couple of sections caught my eye:

"The Raptors’ bench, among the best in the league last year, did not rely on pace as much as was commonly thought. It is understandable why that perception existed, as so many of their most memorable moments were punctuated with a Pascal Siakam dunk or a C.J. Miles three-pointer in transition, but the “bench mob” — Poeltl, Siakam, Miles, Delon Wright and Fred VanVleet —
    actually played at a pace about four possessions per game slower than the Raptors’ usual starting five. Even still, this was a group that thrived on an egalitarian offence, ping-pong passing and creating turnovers."

Who knew. I do remember Delon slowing things down if the first run didn't result in a basket immediately. Munroe might not be as out of place as some are suggesting. He is a good rebounder and passer, as the article mentions so some of those transition baskets could be initiated by him.

I thought this was a nice quote from Fred: "We had a play earlier this month, it caught me off-guard, I haven’t been caught off-guard by a pass probably since I was 11 years old. That was good, it was refreshing that he threw me a pass that I wasn’t ready for, and that just speaks to his level of IQ.

“It was like a backdoor (cut) that I ran and he threw it, and I wasn’t even open. But by the time the ball was delivered, I was open and I caught it and lost it out of bounds. So I owe him one for that.”

13. Likes KeonClark liked this post
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer KeonClark's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Puffer wrote: View Post
    Koreen has a nice article on Munroe in The Athletic. A couple of sections caught my eye:

"The Raptors’ bench, among the best in the league last year, did not rely on pace as much as was commonly thought. It is understandable why that perception existed, as so many of their most memorable moments were punctuated with a Pascal Siakam dunk or a C.J. Miles three-pointer in transition, but the “bench mob” — Poeltl, Siakam, Miles, Delon Wright and Fred VanVleet —
    actually played at a pace about four possessions per game slower than the Raptors’ usual starting five. Even still, this was a group that thrived on an egalitarian offence, ping-pong passing and creating turnovers."

Who knew. I do remember Delon slowing things down if the first run didn't result in a basket immediately. Munroe might not be as out of place as some are suggesting. He is a good rebounder and passer, as the article mentions so some of those transition baskets could be initiated by him.

I thought this was a nice quote from Fred: "We had a play earlier this month, it caught me off-guard, I haven’t been caught off-guard by a pass probably since I was 11 years old. That was good, it was refreshing that he threw me a pass that I wasn’t ready for, and that just speaks to his level of IQ.

“It was like a backdoor (cut) that I ran and he threw it, and I wasn’t even open. But by the time the ball was delivered, I was open and I caught it and lost it out of bounds. So I owe him one for that.”
    Awesome stuff. If our bench, including monroe, defies or exceeds expectations, and Kawhi is healthy Kawhi...we're freakin unstoppable
    It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Monroe gets some minutes and shows as adequate, but quite out of synch with Fred. Moved to the wrong side after a screen and wound up clogging the driving lane a few times. Nice touch around the basket though. If that's your thirteenth guy, Raps are in good shape.

16. Likes ReubenJRD, Just Is liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Puffer wrote: View Post
    Monroe gets some minutes and shows as adequate, but quite out of synch with Fred. Moved to the wrong side after a screen and wound up clogging the driving lane a few times. Nice touch around the basket though. If that's your thirteenth guy, Raps are in good shape.
    His offensive repetoire is impressive. Calm, great footwork, and he's strong with the ball.

Honestly, if he were to get minutes at a decent rate, him with a lineup of OG, Kawhi, Green and Lowry is pretty scary offensively from a spacing factor, with enough defensively to be able to hide him from having to come help and rotate. Unless... they throw it into the guy he's guarding, lol.

I would, at some point, like to see that lineup the next time Ibaka/JV get into foul trouble, which I think they will have nights of that nature vs. solid big men like Gobert, etc.

Monroe in the mid-to-high post with Danny in the corner, Lowry anchoring, and OG/Kawhi on the wings and elbows cutting... that's a sight. JV's been doing it well thus far--seldomly, though, and he's not the passing big man that Monroe has been throughout his career.
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD ē NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer Nilanka's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lost among the chaos from last night, was a very nice game from Monroe. Happy he finally got some meaningful minutes and didn't look like a scrub.

19. Likes Beneperez, ReubenJRD, GOLDBLUM liked this post
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Thread Information