Everything Greg Monroe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Is wrote: View Post
    While I would have (and still) preferred Wood get that last spot; I do like this signing due to Monroe being a poor man's JV which would allow easier time to fit in should injuries happen. Additionally; he does have size which is a good thing as well as being a good rebounder (something this team really has been missing outside of JV and Lowry). He's likely not going to see much (if any) time on court outside of rest games, blowouts or injury. I do anticipate he's replacing Bebe and not Poetl.

Additonally; he is a great passer so that helps as well.
    They still have one open spot I believe. Not sure if they'll use it to add someone like Wood. It would be an expensive end of bench player even on a minimum deal.

The only reason I could see them maybe filling the spot is that they're still pretty thin at the big spots. Even with the cost, it could be better to add a piece now since if you need one due to something like an injury during the season, there might not be any real options left. Even then the guy might still get minimal minutes though, so the team may not care to add someone.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
      They still have one open spot I believe. Not sure if they'll use it to add someone like Wood. It would be an expensive end of bench player even on a minimum deal.

The only reason I could see them maybe filling the spot is that they're still pretty thin at the big spots. Even with the cost, it could be better to add a piece now since if you need one due to something like an injury during the season, there might not be any real options left. Even then the guy might still get minimal minutes though, so the team may not care to add someone.
      To me, the thing that makes the most sense from a roster balance perspective is to cut Brown, and add a minimum salary combo forward. They have plenty of rotation depth at every position. They have extra depth at guard and big with the 905 in Loyd and Boucher (probably). The extra depth spot that needs most addressing is big forward. Basically just have OG and Kawhi as big SFs, and just have Ibaka and Siakam as PFs.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
        To me, the thing that makes the most sense from a roster balance perspective is to cut Brown, and add a minimum salary combo forward. They have plenty of rotation depth at every position. They have extra depth at guard and big with the 905 in Loyd and Boucher (probably). The extra depth spot that needs most addressing is big forward. Basically just have OG and Kawhi as big SFs, and just have Ibaka and Siakam as PFs.
        I wonder if Joe Johnson has enough left in the tank to help? He says he wants one more season.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
          I wonder if Joe Johnson has enough left in the tank to help? He says he wants one more season.
          Think they'd prefer someone who could defend a forward spot in a pinch.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Boucher is not "big" though. Boucher is the forward depth to me. He's way too skinny to bang with big bodies inside, so he's a 4 and it's up to him to prove if he can guard on the perimeter at all and bring versatility on that end. Boucher will get massacred by NBA bigs. He's like skinnier than John Henson. At best he can be a small-ball C when other teams don't have a true big out there.

We have enough wing depth that the SF spot shouldn't be a problem. Having two guys in OG and Kawhi who are big/strong SFs is already pretty good. If Siakam shows any improvement on his shot he can play there offensively too, while he's already versatile enough defensively. Miles, Green and Norm can also give you minutes there if it's not a massive SF you're up against.

So we are basically fine at the 1-4 spots. We definitely have enough perimeter guys to not care about who's deep on the bench for those spots. That also means if a PF goes down we have options with how to deal with it, and Boucher might get some run.

The 5 spot is still kind of thin. An injury to one of JV, Monroe or Ibaka would put strain on trying to fill the C minutes, especially if it's JV. Ibaka is good at C, but still undersized and a poor rebounder. Monroe's a better rebounder than Ibaka, but awful defensively and a slow player on both ends.

Now we could just give all Ibaka's PF minutes to Boucher, but I'd still like an option who's taller/longer than Ibaka and quicker than Monroe while not quite being the stick that Boucher is. That's why Wood is the guy I keep bringing up.

Comment

• I think Monroe will be a great addition. There were times in recent seasons when we didn't have any go to scoring options in our second unit. We'll have a really balanced second unit offence now with a presence inside as well as knock down shooters like Miles and Green to spread the floor. Monroe could have a really great year. Raptors are going to continue to have one of the best benches in the league. Teams won't be able to rest their starters much against us.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                I think Monroe will be a great addition. There were times in recent seasons when we didn't have any go to scoring options in our second unit. We'll have a really balanced second unit offence now with a presence inside as well as knock down shooters like Miles and Green to spread the floor. Monroe could have a really great year. Raptors are going to continue to have one of the best benches in the league. Teams won't be able to rest their starters much against us.
                Exactly. Finally we have a solid C bench player who is efficient scoring/playing in the post and we don't need to rely on creating for him just feed him.

Comment

• Nice depth piece. With him and Green, we've boosted our veteran leadership significantly.

Comment

Agree with this. Cut Brown and add another combo forward. As a final roster, this is what I'd like to see:

"Guards": Lowry/FVV/Wright/Loyd (2-way)
                    "Wings: Leonard/OG/Green/CJ/Norm/Richardson
                    "Bigs": JV/Ibaka/Siakam/Monroe/Wood/Boucher (2-way).

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post
                      Agree with this. Cut Brown and add another combo forward. As a final roster, this is what I'd like to see:

"Guards": Lowry/FVV/Wright/Loyd (2-way)
                      "Wings: Leonard/OG/Green/CJ/Norm/Richardson
                      "Bigs": JV/Ibaka/Siakam/Monroe/Wood/Boucher (2-way).
                      Who's your combo forward?

You took out Brown and added Wood. Wood is a PF/C. He cannot play SF. This would be my preferred way to go into the season, but yeah, no combo forward got added.

I don't think it's worth adding a combo forward because I don't think you'll find a 3/4 who can realistically contribute, especially when you consider the wings/forwards who will be ahead of him in the rotation. If someone like OG, Siakam or Kawhi goes down, don't think the 15th man will actually get any opportunity. However if JV or Monroe goes down, we have a clear need for an extra big body.

A good 3/4 is hard to find, nevermind finding one as a depth piece worth investing in late in the free agent season. Bigs are really undervalued right now though, so it's a good time to take a flyer on a guy like Wood.

Comment

You took out Brown and added Wood. Wood is a PF/C. He cannot play SF. This would be my preferred way to go into the season, but yeah, no combo forward got added.

I don't think it's worth adding a combo forward because I don't think you'll find a 3/4 who can realistically contribute, especially when you consider the wings/forwards who will be ahead of him in the rotation. If someone like OG, Siakam or Kawhi goes down, don't think the 15th man will actually get any opportunity. However if JV or Monroe goes down, we have a clear need for an extra big body.

A good 3/4 is hard to find, nevermind finding one as a depth piece worth investing in late in the free agent season. Bigs are really undervalued right now though, so it's a good time to take a flyer on a guy like Wood.
                        Yeah, meant to say a combo frontcourt player that could play both PF & C instead of Brown (i.e. Wood).

Comment

Agreed. If we could flip Norm for Skal, that's the flyer I'd be interested to take. It actually works in trade machine using the TPE and shaves off some luxury tax. Kings already had an excess of bigs and just brought in Davis (PF/C), Bjelica (PF) and have Harry Giles (PF/C) coming back from injury and looking pretty good. Add that to Cauley-Stein (PF/C), Z-Bo (PF) and Koufos (C) and you've got a huge logjam in the Kings front-court. Skal is the odd man out.

He really does have all the "tools" of the modern big man including shooting range, but does lack that all important mental part and consistency. Basically, Skal is a better version of Wood, without the character red flags.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                            Agreed. If we could flip Norm for Skal, that's the flyer I'd be interested to take. It actually works in trade machine using the TPE and shaves off some luxury tax. Kings already had an excess of bigs and just brought in Davis (PF/C), Bjelica (PF) and have Harry Giles (PF/C) coming back from injury and looking pretty good. Add that to Cauley-Stein (PF/C), Z-Bo (PF) and Koufos (C) and you've got a huge logjam in the Kings front-court. Skal is the odd man out.

He really does have all the "tools" of the modern big man including shooting range, but does lack that all important mental part and consistency. Basically, Skal is a better version of Wood, without the character red flags.
                            I don't know that Skal is actually that much better character-wise. He fell pretty far and in another year may not have gone drafted. Seems soft mentally and physically.

Wood has issues but may be more inclined to adjust attitude to achieve his dream.

I would be ok with either one, though. Just would be nice to have an extra body down the bench, preferably a young one.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't know that Skal is actually that much better character-wise. He fell pretty far and in another year may not have gone drafted. Seems soft mentally and physically.

Wood has issues but may be more inclined to adjust attitude to achieve his dream.

I would be ok with either one, though. Just would be nice to have an extra body down the bench, preferably a young one.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
                              Yeah, the soft tag has dogged him, but Skal erased those most of those toughness question marks in a stellar rookie season. Not sure why he regressed in year 2, so in a lot of ways, he's big man mirror image of Norm, who inexplicably took a step back in his development curve. Also forgot that the Kings drafted Bagley (PF), so there's yet another front court player. Kings are going to need a clearance sale for all those guys AND they need athletic young wing players (hello, Norm).

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                                Yeah, the soft tag has dogged him, but Skal erased those most of those toughness question marks in a stellar rookie season. Not sure why he regressed in year 2, so in a lot of ways, he's big man mirror image of Norm, who inexplicably took a step back in his development curve. Also forgot that the Kings drafted Bagley (PF), so there's yet another front court player. Kings are going to need a clearance sale for all those guys AND they need athletic young wing players (hello, Norm).
                                I don't know, Skal played ok in his rookie year, but still at least looked physically soft.

I'm worried he just coasts on the talent he has. There was definitely playing time up for grabs in Sacto and he didn't grab it.

Comment

Working...
                                X