• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everything Greg Monroe

https://twitter.com/shamscharania/st...591652866?s=21

Mind as well start this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s a good add on the offensive end. He’s a good passer and has a nice inside game. I’m a little nervous about his speed on D. He’s still a very talented NBA big

Comment

Worse version of JV to backup JV. Not a terrible idea.

Would've rather gotten a defensive big but that would've required a trade which is complicated. None of the guys on the market are great on that end.

Comment

Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
        Worse version of JV to backup JV. Not a terrible idea.

Would've rather gotten a defensive big but that would've required a trade which is complicated. None of the guys on the market are great on that end.
        Yeah, from a system standpoint, you can plug Monroe in offensively for a lot of the stuff they would use JV for, just less range (still a good midrange shooter though).

Defensively he's worse, but that shouldn't matter as much this year with our better perimeter defenders.

Still kind of surprising, though. Not sure how many minutes will be open for him on a nightly basis.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post

Still kind of surprising, though. Not sure how many minutes will be open for him on a nightly basis.
          Similar to what he got with Boston. Just under 20 minutes in a season and just under 10 in the playoffs.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
            Yeah, from a system standpoint, you can plug Monroe in offensively for a lot of the stuff they would use JV for, just less range (still a good midrange shooter though).

Defensively he's worse, but that shouldn't matter as much this year with our better perimeter defenders.

It's kind of like the Raps Biyombo FA signing, and Cousins to GSW this year. The rationale is probably that you sign on to a guaranteed playoff contender and hopefully get a chance to strut your stuff during the playoffs when all the NBA GMs are watching. Raps are poised for a deep run and Monroe is basically replacing Jakob, who got consistent minutes, so I think it's a pretty good gamble by Monroe & his agent.

Comment

You deserve to start the thread. Good call.

Comment

Jclaw wrote: View Post
                You deserve to start the thread. Good call.
                Thank you lol

Comment

I'm fine with the signing even if I kind of hope that Monroe won't find himself in the night in/night out rotation. The roster did have something of a hole for another big banging type of centre to prevent us from having to play Ibaka/Siaka exclusively against the bruisers of the league if JV ever finds himself in foul trouble or injured.

JV is better than Monroe offensively/defensively at this point but their strengths and weaknesses are pretty similar so in theory you should be able to plug and play Monroe with certain line ups and not worry too much about big changes to the scheme.

I'll withhold my final decision until I see the term & price but this seems like a pretty good depth pick up for the Raptors.

Comment

Given that Monroe is still a very talented offensive player, I think he would fit very well into Nick Nurse’s offensive system especially with the pick and roll. He also rebounds pretty well which is a major concern of ours.

Given our defensive team, I think we can live with Monroe’s bad defence for about 12-15 mins a game especially to give our bigs a rest without sacrificing too much offence.

Comment

I think if you put either JV and Monroe next to OG playing PF, you can hide some of their defensive limitations.

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
                        Similar to what he got with Boston. Just under 20 minutes in a season and just under 10 in the playoffs.
                        Not sure there's near-20 minutes every night. That would basically mean Ibaka playing little or no C. That would mean crunching minutes at the forward and wing spots to get Ibaka minutes.

More likely the opposite. Low minutes in the regular season, and possibly more in the playoffs depending on the matchup in a series.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                          It's kind of like the Raps Biyombo FA signing, and Cousins to GSW this year. The rationale is probably that you sign on to a guaranteed playoff contender and hopefully get a chance to strut your stuff during the playoffs when all the NBA GMs are watching. Raps are poised for a deep run and Monroe is basically replacing Jakob, who got consistent minutes, so I think it's a pretty good gamble by Monroe & his agent.
                          Yeah, but even that is a gamble. If Monroe doesn't end up playing much in the regular season or playoffs, he doesn't help his stock at all going into a money-filled summer.

Maybe he actually just values winning because of all the shit years in Detroit early in his career.

Comment

Masaii already looking ahead to that match up with GSW and Cousins in the finals LOL

Comment

He offers high value considering what they paid vs. his talents. Sure, he's not perfect but that doesn't mean he's not useful.

Comment

Working...
                              X