Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 007 wrote: View Post
    JV and Monroe both shooting threes would be hilarious
    Drummond shooting 3 in Detroit should be fun too.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post
      Drummond shooting 3 in Detroit should be fun too.
      Howard wants to stretch his range too...just don't see it happening...but a sign that the 3 point "trend" is going nowhere anytime soon, and is in fact still trending up up and up. I suspect more league records for long range shooting will fall this year. I'll let you guys judge for yourself on how much is "too much" for the aesthetic of the game, but I think we're nearing that point soon.
      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
        ...I'll let you guys judge for yourself on how much is "too much" for the aesthetic of the game, but I think we're nearing that point soon.
        Meh, they move the line back another three feet and suddenly, big plodding centers are in vogue again. And the guys guarding perimeter players are spread so far apart that they can't help and slashing to the basket and open mid-range shots become the strategy.

Comment

Howard wants to stretch his range too...just don't see it happening...but a sign that the 3 point "trend" is going nowhere anytime soon, and is in fact still trending up up and up. I suspect more league records for long range shooting will fall this year. I'll let you guys judge for yourself on how much is "too much" for the aesthetic of the game, but I think we're nearing that point soon.
          Yeah, the NBA should also start awarding 3 points for a dunk to balance things out. Most of the time, a dunk is an exciting, crowd-pleasing play that shows off the unique athleticism & physical stature of NBA players. Giving 3-pts for a dunk would also create some incredible blocking contests at the rim (also a crowd pleasing play) and expand the dynamics on end-of-game strategy.

When your big guys are all starting to shoot 3's, that's just stupid.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
            Meh, they move the line back another three feet and suddenly, big plodding centers are in vogue again. And the guys guarding perimeter players are spread so far apart that they can't help and slashing to the basket and open mid-range shots become the strategy.
            Interesting idea, the problem then is you have to widen the courts as the 22 foot corner 3 would remain otherwise. Those seats are like $2000 each in many markets. But I think it's time to look at it.
            golden wrote: View Post
            Yeah, the NBA should also start awarding 3 points for a dunk to balance things out. Most of the time, a dunk is an exciting, crowd-pleasing play that shows off the unique athleticism & physical stature of NBA players. Giving 3-pts for a dunk would also create some incredible blocking contests at the rim (also a crowd pleasing play) and expand the dynamics on end-of-game strategy.

When your big guys are all starting to shoot 3's, that's just stupid.
            Another interesting idea and I dont think I've seen this one. Is it too gimmicky?
            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Interesting idea, the problem then is you have to widen the courts as the 22 foot corner 3 would remain otherwise. Those seats are like $2000 each in many markets. But I think it's time to look at it.

Another interesting idea and I dont think I've seen this one. Is it too gimmicky?
              The 3-pt line was (and still is) gimmicky, because it's a contrived addition to the game that altered the dynamics considerably. A dunk has always been a natural part of the game. A 3-pt dunk could potentially increase spacing, because now defenses would have to think about guarding both the 3-pt line and also protecting the rim at the same time with equal risk/reward. And big guys and athletic players would try much harder to dunk everything, like they should. The effort and intensity level could make for great entertainment.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                Two things.

First: Monroe went on TSN radio for a short interview. Nothing major, but does say he is stretching out his range as per Nurse's request, trying to improve his mobility, and talks about his various clashes with JV on the court and looking forward to being on the same team.

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-105...-run-1.1158736

Second, following on his point that he intends to take some threes. Monroe has always been a good shooter, just like JV was, and perhaps his shooting suggests he can have a similar "out of nowhere" explosion of high efficiency three point shooting (when wide open, on fairly low volume) like JV did. Here are the two players' numbers over the past 4 seasons (for JV, the 4 years prior to last season when he started taking threes).

Valanciunas: 78% FT%, 42% 10-16 feet, 38% 16+ feet, with 18% (~460 FGAs) of his shots coming from midrange.
                Monroe: 74% FT%, 42% 10-16 feet, 41% 16+ feet, with 11% (~320 FGAs) of his shots coming from midrange.

Pretty similar results. Perhaps a sign that Monroe can indeed extend his range and potentially give us three stretch 5's on the roster.
                I'm just curious Dan. Last year you were super anti-Ibaka-at-center and asserted Serge is clearly meant for the 4. Now you've talked a lot about how on top of playing some 4, he should be our primary option as backup C. (granted that was mostly before signing Monroe.) What caused the shift in thinking? His plodding, bumbling postseason play? Or having lost Poeltl? And now that we've got Monroe.. who can offer JV like minutes, at least in the style of play, do you see a scenario where GMon becomes the de facto back up 5 and Serge still plays predominantly PF?

What is Serge now? Interested to see if he can improve his value this year under Nurse. Also to see the effect another year has on his knees.

My feeling would be it'd be valuable, as Nurse said, to explore many lineups, including w/ Serge at the 5 so if you end up needing him against smaller 5's in the playoffs, as inevitably happens, we'll be ready. Seemed like Casey barely tried that last year unless I'm mistaken.

(Others, please weigh in as well, but was curious about the apparent adjustment with you, DanH)

Comment

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post
                  I'm just curious Dan. Last year you were super anti-Ibaka-at-center and asserted Serge is clearly meant for the 4. Now you've talked a lot about how on top of playing some 4, he should be our primary option as backup C. (granted that was mostly before signing Monroe.) What caused the shift in thinking? His plodding, bumbling postseason play? Or having lost Poeltl? And now that we've got Monroe.. who can offer JV like minutes, at least in the style of play, do you see a scenario where GMon becomes the de facto back up 5 and Serge still plays predominantly PF?

What is Serge now? Interested to see if he can improve his value this year under Nurse. Also to see the effect another year has on his knees.

My feeling would be it'd be valuable, as Nurse said, to explore many lineups, including w/ Serge at the 5 so if you end up needing him against smaller 5's in the playoffs, as inevitably happens, we'll be ready. Seemed like Casey barely tried that last year unless I'm mistaken.

(Others, please weigh in as well, but was curious about the apparent adjustment with you, DanH)
                  I think the key difference is now Ibaka would be dealing with almost primarily back up calibre Centres so the mileage/quality of opponents wouldn't be too out of reach for Ibaka. Additionally; it would open up more time for wing players that are, honestly, better than Ibaka.
                  "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                  "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

Personally I'd prefer if Ibaka was the primary backup C and Monroe the third centre. I'd like that not because I think Ibaka is necessarily a better C than Monroe, but because the more he plays there, the more minutes are available at the 4 spot for OG and Siakam.

This can indirectly lead to more time for Wright, Green and CJ Miles on the 2-3 spot. I'm curious to see what CJ's output will be when he has more breathing room and is not the only guy being hunted down in the perimeter.

Comment

• Just Is wrote: View Post
                      I think the key difference is now Ibaka would be dealing with almost primarily back up calibre Centres so the mileage/quality of opponents wouldn't be too out of reach for Ibaka. Additionally; it would open up more time for wing players that are, honestly, better than Ibaka.
                      beat me to it

Comment

• I think Serge is still our starting PF. But I think more of his shots get distributed among the other starters than last season where he seemed like the clear 3rd option on offence after DeMar/Lowry...at least it seemed that way to start the season and ended up less so.

Only one fit to take his spot is Pascal, but I don't know if he's ready yet.

Comment

I've never been opposed to Serge facing off against backup centres or playing situational small ball centre, except that last year we had a perfectly good backup C in Poeltl (plus Bebe). My issue is with him having to guard/box out big centres (who tend to start), and with not having a screener in starting lineups to free up guards to create offence. Serge still fits in the starting lineup as a PF, but there are so many wings we almost have to play him at C to free up minutes for them.

So I guess what changed is there is now a reason to play him at C (getting more minutes at PF for OV and Siakam, and freeing up wing minutes for Green and Wright). And I remain staunchly opposed to him getting starting C minutes or heavy minutes at C against non-small-ball lineups.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                            I think Serge is still our starting PF. But I think more of his shots get distributed among the other starters than last season where he seemed like the clear 3rd option on offence after DeMar/Lowry...at least it seemed that way to start the season and ended up less so.

Only one fit to take his spot is Pascal, but I don't know if he's ready yet.
                            Serge will not be a full time starter. It all depends on the matchups. Serge and JV had almost zero chemistry together.

One of the things that pissed me off last season was the way Serge was used which was alot like Bargnani. Yes hang around the perimeter while your 6ft10 frame is now completely useless because you don't rebound the ball no more. If you cannot do both than stick to specific assignments (today I need you to just rebound the ball & block shots, limit your offensive opportunities where you are not guarded) otherwise when your 3 point shot doesn't go in you become useless. You don't compromise your defense for offense. Maybe the move of Serge as a bench centre will bring him back to what he was. I hope Nurse sticks to his guns on this and I fully expect Serge to not liking it & will clash at times with staff. Tough cookies.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                              (getting more minutes at PF for OV and Siakam).
                              I realize Ovechkin is arguably the best power-forward in the NHL.
                              Will that translate to effective PF minutes in the NBA though? And what about scheduling?
                              Perhaps now that he's won a cup his veteran leadership alone will make his presence valuable enough.
                              Good call Dan, as always

Comment

• https://www-sportsnet-ca.cdn.ampproj...oint-stroke%2F

Comment

Working...
                                X