No announcement yet.

Everything Greg Monroe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He's a below the rim player, but feels very comfortable with the ball. Great passer, good rebounding skills, can run the floor. Moose will be a good fit in our offence, and I think he'll be okay on the defensive side of the ball considering we have good perimeter players.

Comment

Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
      JV's an elite rebounder the same way DeRozan's an elite scorer, i.e. not one because there's a group of guys who are better at the skill. And DeRozan's actually in a larger pot there competing with the entire league not just bigs and Westbrook.
      You mean elite shooting... you're mixing your metaphors here. Derozan IS a truly elite scorer, because he makes up for lack of elite shooting by using elite free-throw drawing skills.... in the regular season. Demar's scoring efficiency (ORTG) relative to his USG has been truly elite the last few years and it was unbelievable last year.

There's no arguing around this, even with semantics. Just because you don't like JV as an overall defender for whatever reasons or past debates you've had on this board, doesn't mean that he can't be elite at something - and that something is rebounding. It's an open & shut case.

Comment

who cares! Does it matter if he is elite or very good. We have a talented big man thats signing for the veteran's minimum, we haven't had many of these kinds of signings in the past.

Comment

saints91 wrote: View Post
          who cares! Does it matter if he is elite or very good. We have a talented big man thats signing for the veteran's minimum, we haven't had many of these kinds of signings in the past.
          Dude, this is Raptors Republic. We care about EVERYTHING.

Comment

saints91 wrote: View Post
            He's a below the rim player, but feels very comfortable with the ball. Great passer, good rebounding skills, can run the floor. Moose will be a good fit in our offence, and I think he'll be okay on the defensive side of the ball considering we have good perimeter players.
            The bench at times had a hard time generating offence last year. Assuming he plays minutes with bench guys, he'll balance them out a bit - defence won't be quite as good as with Poeltl there but they'll have a guy to throw the ball to when things get bogged down.

He'll also easily be able to play with 4 shooters with the starters. The only guy I think we won't see him playing with much is JV - unless JV capitalizes on his 40% 3 pt shooting and starts cranking out 6 attempts per game.
            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

MixxAOR wrote: View Post
              Glad that free agents still considering Toronto even though Masai is a snake
              lol its a business.

Comment

MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                Listen to JJ Redick’s podcast. He’s basically saying this won’t affect the way free agents see Toronto and Derozan is not special, this happens all the time
                I mean, yeah, that sounds like a rational take on the situation.

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
                  Fuck Rudy Gay! Every team he went too got better when he left!
                  DeRozan and Gay on one team again. Those poor Spurs fans don't understand what they're in for this winter ha, ha...

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                    DeRozan and Gay on one team again. Those poor Spurs fans don't understand what they're in for this winter ha, ha...
                    Plus Belinelli to form a former Raptors wing group.
                    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                      Plus Belinelli to form a former Raptors wing group.
                      It's like being used to driving an Escalade for the last 20 years and then having to switch to a Prius.

Disclaimer: No offense to Prius owners, I'm sure they're fuel efficient bad ass machines.

Comment

It's like being used to driving an Escalade for the last 20 years and then having to switch to a Prius.

Disclaimer: No offense to Prius owners, I'm sure they're fuel efficient bad ass machines.
                        Based on the shooting efficiency, I don’t think Prius would be the right analogy. Maybe switching from a Roles Royce to a Dodge Charger. The Charger has some flash and power but isn’t really comparable.
                        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

lol. Pop's retiring for sure at the end of this season, if not mid-season. Over to you, Ettore....

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                            Based on the shooting efficiency, I don’t think Prius would be the right analogy. Maybe switching from a Roles Royce to a Dodge Charger. The Charger has some flash and power but isn’t really comparable.
                            You're probably right. Here's the main point I was trying to convey:

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                              ..Over to you, Ettore....
                              Buona Fortuna Ettore

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                                You mean elite shooting... you're mixing your metaphors here. Derozan IS a truly elite scorer, because he makes up for lack of elite shooting by using elite free-throw drawing skills.... in the regular season. Demar's scoring efficiency (ORTG) relative to his USG has been truly elite the last few years and it was unbelievable last year.

There's no arguing around this, even with semantics. Just because you don't like JV as an overall defender for whatever reasons or past debates you've had on this board, doesn't mean that he can't be elite at something - and that something is rebounding. It's an open & shut case.
                                DeRozan is not an elite scorer. I'm not talking about shooting and I'm not mixing or confusing anything, I'm talking about scoring. Putting the ball in the net, from anywhere. He's not elite. He's very good at it. The elite guys can do it from more areas and do it more efficiently than he can.

And I don't dislike JV, I do like him (I have a damn Valanciunas jersey for fuck's sake). He's just not an elite rebounder. There's a clear tier above him. There was this article on NBA Math that tried to create an overall rebounding metric and ranked him 10th in it https://nbamath.com/who-are-the-nbas-best-rebounders/. Feel free to read and agree/disagree with the methodology, but it goes towards my point.

JV definitely is a top 10, maybe even higher rebounder. So is DeMar as a scorer. I wouldn't call either elite in those 2 categories because there is a clear group that's better than them at it, that they're not a part of.
                                Last edited by Shaolin Fantastic; Tue Aug 7, 2018, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X