Likes Likes:  9
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Depth Trend

Raptors Republic Superstar SkywalkerAC's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote RandomGuy wrote: View Post
    To be honest, here, I'm not sure how they have less depth than us? They were carried by rookies last year and made it to ECF, gave Lebron Cavaliers more trouble than Raptors without two of their main stars (starpower).
    That's why I said it makes sense to have us in the same tier - they also have great depth and defense. Their young guys played so well, it will be hard for Hayward to to move the needle. You might give them the edge to come out of the East based on recent history, but when it comes to predicting who will have the number one seed after the regular season (which I believe is what most of these rankings try to do), we've proven just as much.

With regards to the playoffs, we just picked up a quintessential playoff performer. While they are getting back one guy who struggles staying healthy for the playoffs and another who has played a total of 15 playoff games.
    Last edited by SkywalkerAC; Thu Aug 16th, 2018 at 11:54 AM.

Raptors Republic All-Star RandomGuy's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
    That's why I said it makes sense to have us in the same tier - they also have great depth and defense. Their young guys played so well, it will be hard for Hayward to to move the needle. You might give them the edge to come out of the East based on recent history, but when it comes to predicting who will have the number one seed after the regular season (which I believe is what most of these rankings try to do), we've proven just as much.

With regards to the playoffs, we just picked up a quintessential playoff performer. While they are getting back one guy who struggles staying healthy for the playoffs and another who has played a total of 15 playoff games.
    Good points, my bad, somehow managed to misinterpret what you've meant regarding the depth.

3. Likes SkywalkerAC liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lowry plus bench has created some really good second unit line-up's for us. Which bench unit + 1 starter do you guys think are going to be most successful for us this season?

Lowry
    FVV
    Green
    Siakam
    Monroe

Oh man, what if the Kawhi + bench player line-up's are going to be equally as good?! Maybe not as good as the Lowry ones but certainly better than the DeMar with bench line-up's.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer KeonClark's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote DanH wrote: View Post
    Well, I definitely disagree with that logic.

If we traded for Durant, Steph, Kawhi and LeBron, would it make sense to put Boston ahead of us because they've proven more? The whole point of these pre-season rankings is to project what will happen this season. If it was just based on how proven each team is, they should just list last year's standings and be done with it.

There may be good reasons to put Boston 1st (personally, I don't think so), but it ain't that reason.
    Leonard >> Irving
    Lowry > Hayward
    Jv < Horford (barely)
    Fvv << tatum

And from 5 thru 12 its really not close, Raptors all day
    It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote KeonClark wrote: View Post
    Leonard >> Irving
    Lowry > Hayward
    Jv < Horford (barely)
    Fvv << tatum

And from 5 thru 12 its really not close, Raptors all day
    Brown, Rozier, Smart, Morris are pretty good players.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote LJ2 wrote: View Post
    Brown, Rozier, Smart, Morris are pretty good players.
    So are siakam, anunoby, green and Ibaka. And then you're left with baynes and whoever is #10 to compare to Wright and miles.

Raptors Republic Superstar ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lowry plus bench has created some really good second unit line-up's for us. Which bench unit + 1 starter do you guys think are going to be most successful for us this season?

Lowry
    FVV
    Green
    Siakam
    Monroe

Oh man, what if the Kawhi + bench player line-up's are going to be equally as good?! Maybe not as good as the Lowry ones but certainly better than the DeMar with bench line-up's.
    This is my line of thinking:

VanVleet-Wright-Kawhi-Siakam-Monroe/Serge (assuming he comes off the bench) will wreak a ton of havoc on the defensive end, especially on the perimeter. This will also prevent going ultra-small with VanVleet-Lowry-Wright which I did not particular like and (if i'm not mistaken) was used quite a bit last season.
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So are siakam, anunoby, green and Ibaka. And then you're left with baynes and whoever is #10 to compare to Wright and miles.
    I assume Ojeleye, and he was solid last year.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looking at the projected depth chart:

Lowry/Vanvleet/Brown
    Green/Wright/Powell
    Kawhi/Miles
    OG/Siakam
    JV/Serge/Monroe

The Raptors are good enough to go 12-deep, all of them at the very least serviceable -- Powell is probably at the end of the food chain in my opinion, and even he is a #7 or #8 on other team's depth charts.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote ReubenJRD wrote: View Post
    This is my line of thinking:

VanVleet-Wright-Kawhi-Siakam-Monroe/Serge (assuming he comes off the bench) will wreak a ton of havoc on the defensive end, especially on the perimeter. This will also prevent going ultra-small with VanVleet-Lowry-Wright which I did not particular like and (if i'm not mistaken) was used quite a bit last season.
    I like the defensive versatility from that line-up, but I think it puts a lot of focus on Kawhi scoring the ball or initiating the offence. I'd rather have Green there in place of VanVleet or Wright for a bit more punch on offence. That way Kawhi doesn't have to work so hard the whole time he's out there. Just my take.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I like the defensive versatility from that line-up, but I think it puts a lot of focus on Kawhi scoring the ball or initiating the offence. I'd rather have Green there in place of VanVleet or Wright for a bit more punch on offence. That way Kawhi doesn't have to work so hard the whole time he's out there. Just my take.
    Delon Wright is a better scorer than green. Actually so is fred van

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think that's why the Lowry-led bench lineups work so well -- he's the sole consistent offensive threat, and allows the other players to play off of his attention. VanVleet and Wright are impressive slashers, and Siakam is quite versatile offensively attacking the rim, too.

Delon Wright is a better scorer than green. Actually so is fred van
    Agreed.

If you go Green > Miles:

This season's projected lineup of VanVleet-Wright-Green-Siakam-Ibaka will be more effective offensively with more shooters, and much better defensively than last season's bench of VanVleet-Wright-Miles-Siakam-Poeltl.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information