• Show
Clear All

• Maury wrote: View Post
    Where can I find that interview?
    https://www.tsn.ca/video/lowry-my-re...etball~1497203
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
      Well, you are seeing what you want to see. He didn't say he isolated himself from the team. He said he ALWAYS isolates himself from the team - he doesn't do media in the off-season, he doesn't interact with the team in the off-season, he uses his off-season to, you know, take a break. Always.
      This wasn't a regular offseason, and it's not going to be a regular season.

It's a concern. It may not pan out to be an issue, but it also very well could be a big issue. You're seeing what you want to see.
      Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

• jimmie wrote: View Post

It's a concern. It may not pan out to be an issue, but it also very well could be a big issue. You're seeing what you want to see.
        Am I? I'm referencing Lowry's history, basing my arguments in his typical behaviour, and I'm seeing what I want to see? Meanwhile your argument is "well none of the precedent applies because this is a different off-season because reasons."
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
          To be fair a lot of guys don't do the Instagram workouts/Drew League stuff with buddies during the summer. It's becoming pretty normalized and the media reads way too much into it, but some guys need space during the offseason.
          I would be that guy. I'm not an introvert but I'm not an absolute social butterfly either...somewhere in between.

If I spend every day with you for the last 8 months, I'm not gonna wanna hang out all summer on my own time. That time would be for family, close friends and whatever trainers are helping me work out

It's also a lot different for the young guys. Like lebron and harden are all over social media with other nba guys working out everywhere, but it's not like lebron did any bonding with the young Lakers or harden with the young rockets. They just do their own thing.
          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

This is like Michael Grange report: "There may or may not be a trade."
            Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Meanwhile your argument is "well none of the precedent applies because this is a different off-season because reasons."
              Yep, that's exactly my argument. If you're arguing this offseason and upcoming season are just the regular for Toronto, then I don't know what to say. Lowry gonna Lowry, true. And if that's the case, it's a concern for the big plans to retain Leonard, and could have a culture-negative effect on the roster as a whole. The "Lowry effect" was very real early in his career both outside TO and when he arrived here. Things improved when he and Demar became bros and Lowry was handed the keys to the franchise.

The bottom line is that there is a pattern to Lowry's career. He's good when he feels loved and comfortable and respected and largely gets what he wants. He's surly when it's otherwise.

I get that you think this is nothing and Leonard's going to re-sign and even if he doesn't, it's no big deal because they'll rebuild. I also get the impression that you're not particularly convinced about the importance of team culture or cohesion to a team's results (that's just wrong, if so) and probably ascribe a lot more rationality to NBA players than is really the case. That's a great glass-half-full view. But it's not crazy to be concerned, tentative, etc. with a very critical year. Everything has to go right unless you really want a full teardown and rebuild. I personally don't, and the idea of a bitter Lowry pissing off Leonard, grinding with the coach, etc. is not a comfortable one. Again, not saying it's going to happen, but looking at Lowry and hearing his words yesterday and telling anyone who took some negatives from it that they're crazy is, well, just as crazy.
              Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

Yep, that's exactly my argument. If you're arguing this offseason and upcoming season are just the regular for Toronto, then I don't know what to say. Lowry gonna Lowry, true. And if that's the case, it's a concern for the big plans to retain Leonard, and could have a culture-negative effect on the roster as a whole. The "Lowry effect" was very real early in his career both outside TO and when he arrived here. Things improved when he and Demar became bros and Lowry was handed the keys to the franchise.

The bottom line is that there is a pattern to Lowry's career. He's good when he feels loved and comfortable and respected and largely gets what he wants. He's surly when it's otherwise.

I get that you think this is nothing and Leonard's going to re-sign and even if he doesn't, it's no big deal because they'll rebuild. I also get the impression that you're not particularly convinced about the importance of team culture or cohesion to a team's results (that's just wrong, if so) and probably ascribe a lot more rationality to NBA players than is really the case. That's a great glass-half-full view. But it's not crazy to be concerned, tentative, etc. with a very critical year. Everything has to go right unless you really want a full teardown and rebuild. I personally don't, and the idea of a bitter Lowry pissing off Leonard, grinding with the coach, etc. is not a comfortable one. Again, not saying it's going to happen, but looking at Lowry and hearing his words yesterday and telling anyone who took some negatives from it that they're crazy is, well, just as crazy.
                Lowry has been surly the past 5 years, didn't seem to cause any issues. The team culture is crucial, and will define the team's success in the next half decade. Of course, anyone who thinks they have any insight into said team culture based on media day interviews is wrong about that.

Anyone can take whatever they want from anything. Good for you if you see stuff that's not there (or stuff that's always there and want to find some doom in it for some reason). Have fun with that.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post
                  OG is probably the most likeable at the this point, he was like the only player who brought his A game against Lebron.
                  I'm hoping he spent all summer re-living that moment where he calmly hit the game-typing 3, in Cleveland....only to have his hopes/dreams crushed by the LeBron running floater at the buzzer.

It was only a glimpse of clutchness potential, but I liked it!

Comment

Lowry has been surly the past 5 years, didn't seem to cause any issues. The team culture is crucial, and will define the team's success in the next half decade. Of course, anyone who thinks they have any insight into said team culture based on media day interviews is wrong about that.

Anyone can take whatever they want from anything. Good for you if you see stuff that's not there (or stuff that's always there and want to find some doom in it for some reason). Have fun with that.
                    Hey, only slightly condescending - thanks!

Yeah, I don't take pleasure in predicting problems, but to think there's no possibility of it given the guy's personality and career history seems overly optimistic given the circumstances. As I mentioned, over the past 5 years you mention, he's pretty much had everything his way - played with his best buddy, had the keys to the car, got a big contract he wouldn't have got elsewhere... This is the first time in 5 years that things may have gone in a direction he wouldn't have chosen. How he reacts will be critical to this team's success this year and beyond.

Comment

• Another possibility explaining Lowry's curt responses, is that he's trying not to show too much excitement in fear of offending DeRozan.

DeRozan would be crying in an Alamodome corner if he heard his BFF describe the 2018-19 Raptors as the best ever.

Comment

Hey, only slightly condescending - thanks!

Yeah, I don't take pleasure in predicting problems, but to think there's no possibility of it given the guy's personality and career history seems overly optimistic given the circumstances. As I mentioned, over the past 5 years you mention, he's pretty much had everything his way - played with his best buddy, had the keys to the car, got a big contract he wouldn't have got elsewhere... This is the first time in 5 years that things may have gone in a direction he wouldn't have chosen. How he reacts will be critical to this team's success this year and beyond.
                        There is every possibility that there will be issues. Guess what? If Lowry was all chipper and happy, that possibility would be no different. To think that Lowry acting like an ass like he always does hints at anything at all, is silly. Be concerned all you like! I've tried to explain why Lowry acting like he always does is a silly reason to be worried about the locker room (I mean, if Lowry being Lowry was the issue, you should have been worried about that in July), but if you don't care about any of that reasoning, like I said, have fun with that.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                          Another possibility explaining Lowry's curt responses, is that he's trying not to show too much excitement in fear of offending DeRozan.

DeRozan would be crying in an Alamodome corner if he heard his BFF describe the 2018-19 Raptors as the best ever.
                          Ding ding ding!

Ive been saying this over and over. Lowry clearly had a strategy going in: give them nothing. He did NOT want to appear happy, and understandable. Some one would have twisted that too.

He has 3 key dates to navigate. He just made it through one. The next ones are the first game against the spurs and the first time the spurs visit Toronto. Other than that the questioning will ease up and will become about the current events and the next game etc and Lowry will lighten up
                          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Jimmie your over analyzing. Relax. It isnt any different this season they have a bunch of games to play and have to prove themselves in the playoffs. Same as before.

Comment

• Comment

He's always dealt with the media the same way, that's true. The concerning part for me is not how he said it, but what he said. It sounds like he basically isolated himself from the team after the trade. Said he hasn't spoken to Nurse since the night of the trade, hasn't spoken to his new teammates at all, no mention of his other teammates... Now, he's always been crusty, sulky, slow to trust, etc. and so maybe he adjusts as time goes by like he did after they traded Calderon, and after he re-upped, but...

It's concerning. Not only can a sulky Lowry derail a good season, a sulky Lowry will also make it difficult to sell Leonard on staying. He's got to buy in 100% and also has to play a role in being a "good teammate" to Kawhi. Masai's sales job leans heavily on Toronto's team culture, and if that's not solid in 2018-19.......
                                didnt he say he hadn't spoken to Nurse since he was named head coach? that was before the trade soo....
                                You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

Working...
                                X