• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ReubenJRD wrote: View Post
    Breathe.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
      Yeah that's the pressing issue. 30% of the cap. That's his max. Just like it would be for Kawhi. That's a huge amount. But Jimmy can be a top 15 guy in the NBA. He can produce wins. Not sure what he would look like at age 33, 34 or 35.. but Houston is gambling with Chris Paul and they are a top tier franchise in this league.

If we have a chance to win and go for it all now, might as well do it. We've seen what the first 20 or so years of this franchise was like. It was brutal.
      On the other hand Chris Paul is a step up from Butler and imho his game projects to age better. Both have health red flags.

I'd be a fair bit more comfortable taking that gamble with CP3 than Butler.
      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post
        Hey look, there's T Rex, and Christan, and golden, and jimicliff....
        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
          I would go for Butler even if it meant giving up Pascal or OG. But I would be nervous that it's too much change and Raps won't get chemistry down this year.
          But it is also pointless to speculate on giving up such a piece because it looks doubtful at the moment that any team would be willing to give up something similar for Butler.

It's like the Kawhi trade all over again. Some fans are like "give up anything, even if you have to send out OG and/or Pascal" while others are like "you don't even offer that because the Spurs negotiating position is so weak".

So far there is no sign that any team is willing to give up a good young piece, and in general since camp has already started teams are probably going to be less likely to take a big risk. Minny has little bargaining power.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
            But it is also pointless to speculate on giving up such a piece because it looks doubtful at the moment that any team would be willing to give up something similar for Butler.

It's like the Kawhi trade all over again. Some fans are like "give up anything, even if you have to send out OG and/or Pascal" while others are like "you don't even offer that because the Spurs negotiating position is so weak".

So far there is no sign that any team is willing to give up a good young piece, and in general since camp has already started teams are probably going to be less likely to take a big risk. Minny has little bargaining power.

its a bit different because Butler is just not on Kawhi's level.

Again you try to keep OG... and Pascal... you can give them delon... you can give them serve even...

Comment

Yeah that's the pressing issue. 30% of the cap. That's his max. Just like it would be for Kawhi. That's a huge amount. But Jimmy can be a top 15 guy in the NBA. He can produce wins. Not sure what he would look like at age 33, 34 or 35.. but Houston is gambling with Chris Paul and they are a top tier franchise in this league.

If we have a chance to win and go for it all now, might as well do it. We've seen what the first 20 or so years of this franchise was like. It was brutal.
              kawhi's one of the 8 no brainers for that deal though if he shows he hasn't declined from his 15/16 and 16/17 seasons.

butler is the exact tier of player and age profile i would never give that deal to. i would think about it if he was 26.

kyrie irving next offseason is a player to me that is borderline assuming he stays healthy and has a great season, but i would probably do it. any player worse or older i am not interested in paying that much for that long.

i understand houston's gamble but that CP deal is horrible if they don't get a title out of it.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
                its a bit different because Butler is just not on Kawhi's level.

Again you try to keep OG... and Pascal... you can give them delon... you can give them serve even...
                Right, he's not on Kawhi's level, making it even less likely you would have to give up quality for Butler.

Minnesota is in at least as weak a position as San Antonio, if not worse because of timing.

I also expect Thibs will be a bit like Pop and not want to trade within the West unless he can really get a crazy offer. Not sure if Taylor would be willing to either, even if he would be willing to overrule Thibs.

There are two configurations I might be ok with:

-The first are the pitches built around Serge + Norm where we would also take back Dieng. We may have to put in more like Wright.

-The second is something like Norm, Miles/Green and Monroe. And here this would be straight up for Butler. If Dieng is moved in this it would likely mean a 3rd team is involved.

Neither really compromises our long term outlook or depth for this season. Both give Minny "serviceable" pieces.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                  Hey look, there's T Rex, and Christan, and golden, and jimicliff....
                  "And you, and you... and you were there!"

Comment

• So these media dudes stirred up all this noise for what? Three quotes on twitter? Fucking joke man
                    Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                      So these media dudes stirred up all this noise for what? Three quotes on twitter? Fucking joke man
                      Yep. Then people eat it right up and start predicting trades and the future of the franchise because a guy chose to take a break from the media for 2 days in training camp. The times we live in.

Comment

If it's one year of Jimmy I would be hesitant too. but let's assume its Jimmy for 6 years (this year, plus the 5 year extension). Would you then trade one of OG or Siakam?
                        Are you assuming we have Kawhi as well? Personally I would rather have OG for the next 3 or 4 years on a rookie contract as opposed to Butler on a max. OG gives you nearly as good defence as Butler with the potential to match or be better and OG's offence is more suitable to playing with Kawhi. The idea of paying Butler the max only to have the ball out of his hands more often than he would like negates a lot of his worth. If it was Klay thompson, I would not hesitate, but not sure how well Butler meshes with Kawhi.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                          Are you assuming we have Kawhi as well? Personally I would rather have OG for the next 3 or 4 years on a rookie contract as opposed to Butler on a max. OG gives you nearly as good defence as Butler with the potential to match or be better and OG's offence is more suitable to playing with Kawhi. The idea of paying Butler the max only to have the ball out of his hands more often than he would like negates a lot of his worth. If it was Klay thompson, I would not hesitate, but not sure how well Butler meshes with Kawhi.
                          agreed... cause og will get better... Butler is at the peak... so the end of his countract is going to look like hell.... kawhi is 27 so you give him a 4-5 year deal.... hes just going to start to be on decline just as OG is starting to peak.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                            yes guy. it's entirely possible in three years that OG is the better player at like a tenth the price.

what's stupid to me is this whole looming trade and free agency signing is going to be framed as WHO'S GOING TO WIN THE JIMMY BUTLER SWEEPSTAKES and then like halfway through the next season after signing it ppl will be like 'wow that's a pretty bad deal that team is really stuck for awhile', especially if that team is not a contender (ie. miami).

it's a shit lotto for an overpriced prize i want nothing to do with, especially wouldn't pay a premium for the ticket . i love this team as currently constructed.

Comment

• The fan in me wants to see what Kawhi might be able to help OG add to his game.

Comment

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post
                                "And you, and you... and you were there!"

Well at least you made me the effin' Wizard, Goldblum.

Keon, on the other hand.....

Comment

Working...
                                X