No announcement yet.

The Podcast Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Russell Brands "Under the Skin" is also a very good one if you can stomach his ADHD. Lol

Comment

Also - S-Town, from the makers of This American Life and Serial, was pretty amazing.
      "Stop eating your sushi."
      "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
      "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
      - Jack Armstrong

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
        Also - S-Town, from the makers of This American Life and Serial, was pretty amazing.
        I thought S-Town was just "ok". It didn't leave me yearning for the next episode, the way Serial (season 1) did.

Had the same meh feeling about Serial season 2.

Comment

For anyone interested in the live debate format there is an upcoming one at Munk Debates with a contemporary hot button topic and interesting speakers ... (Live Nov. 2)... with access to a recording if you miss it.

https://www.munkdebates.com/The-Deba...se-of-Populism

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
            Great idea for a thread!

Rogan's a good one, but I'm not always willing to give up 3-4 hours per episode. Long-form conversations are great, but with so many great podcasts to choose from, I tend to opt for 30-60 minute episodes instead.

In no particular order:

- Serial
            - Freakonomics
            - Waking Up (Sam Harris)
            - Star Talk (Neil DeGrasse Tyson)
            - Dave Rubin
            - RadioLab
            - The Art of Manliness
            - Revisionist History (Malcolm Gladwell)
            - Hidden Brain
            - Stuff You Should Know
            - Fresh Air
            - Death, Sex & Money
            - TED Radio Hour
            - Bill Simmons
            - Zach Lowe
            - Woj Pod
            - WTF with Marc Maron
            - This American Life
            - Planet Money
            - FiveThirtyEight (Nate Silver)
            - Jonah Keri
            - Cinephile (Adnan Virk)
            - The Q&A with Jeff Goldsmith
            - ESPN 30 for 30
            - Hoopshype
            - Inside the Green Room (Danny Green)
            I freakin' love Zach Lowe's pod, just started listening into the Woj pod recently after he had Masai, it's growing on me.

... I just can't get used to all the years of his tweets, suddenly on the broadcast lol.
            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Sometimes, SJWs do deserve a good railing, though

Looks an awful lot like a strawman to me Bendit. To many, you'd be a SJW. And actual activists - doubly so.

Comment

SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                Looks an awful lot like a strawman to me Bendit. To many, you'd be a SJW. And actual activists - doubly so.
                Haha. Was that a compliment? A humorous meme that was but not one I subscribe to in any serious way. Wonder who coined it?

"Warrior"? I like warriors...it's a mentality... on the basketball court, in industry, thinking-out-of-the-box individuals, music/art, defending against violence and in support of the less fortunate etc etc. The term has become a pejorative, yes. And often associated with those who make arguments or have the politics sympathetic especially to the last couple of points. My own preferred synonym on forums like this would be one of advocacy/advocate ... neither warrior nor activist.

It is also instructive that the term according to some reports became popular with the advent of Twitter and slightly before, the Tea Party conservative movement. Both a bane as far as I am concerned. The latter of course were especially anti many notions of social justice. Make of that nexus what one may.

I have no problem being called whatever tag assigned me. Am quite comfortable with my thoughts but willing to listen and learn. The inadequacy really lies in those who assign meant-to-be pejorative tags... without explanation.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Comment

Roseanne Barr is on Rogan right now:

Should be interesting.
                  Last edited by Joey; Thu Oct 11, 2018, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Joey wrote: View Post
                    Roseanne Barr is on Rogan right now:

Should be interesting.
                    Holy shit.

I remember this was cancelled previously, too.

Comment

Didn't know whether to put this in the Movie thread or not, but this was one of the most enjoyable podcasts I've listened to. Matt Damon's story is really inspiring, especially if anyone here is interested in filmmaking. Bill Simmons is a phenomenal interviewer/podcast host, and he gets a lot out of Damon. One part of interest is where Damon is talking to Simmons about Machester by the Sea (a really good movie by the way) and talks about an ending that director Kenneth Lonergan wanted to shoot but couldn't due to budget restrictions. Really fascinating, and it really makes you think about how this one scene could have made the film even better than it was. This part is around the 1:12:00 or so. The whole podcast is worth a listen though.

Comment

Maury wrote: View Post
                        Didn't know whether to put this in the Movie thread or not, but this was one of the most enjoyable podcasts I've listened to. Matt Damon's story is really inspiring, especially if anyone here is interested in filmmaking. Bill Simmons is a phenomenal interviewer/podcast host, and he gets a lot out of Damon. One part of interest is where Damon is talking to Simmons about Machester by the Sea (a really good movie by the way) and talks about an ending that director Kenneth Lonergan wanted to shoot but couldn't due to budget restrictions. Really fascinating, and it really makes you think about how this one scene could have made the film even better than it was. This part is around the 1:12:00 or so. The whole podcast is worth a listen though.
                        Great insights into the movie business.

But "we ran out of money"? That was a disappointing take on that scene not being shot. Damon speaks so passionately and sure about how well that scene would have meshed with the movie. He surely could have financed that scene himself. By then he was pulling in big $s in his other star projects. I suppose one has to be disciplined. It's a business. And this intersects art. Also the same line bb players use ironically (it's a business). Many metaphors to the sports world ... giving options on movies to producers compared to rookie contracts before they score the big one/s. Smart cookie is Damon... and good guy too..I think!

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                          Great insights into the movie business.

But "we ran out of money"? That was a disappointing take on that scene not being shot. Damon speaks so passionately and sure about how well that scene would have meshed with the movie. He surely could have financed that scene himself. By then he was pulling in big $s in his other star projects. I suppose one has to be disciplined. It's a business. And this intersects art. Also the same line bb players use ironically (it's a business). Many metaphors to the sports world ... giving options on movies to producers compared to rookie contracts before they score the big one/s. Smart cookie is Damon... and good guy too..I think!
                          When you're a rich person like Matt Damon, you probably won't stay rich if you make decisions like that. Generally, you would never know if it would work out, and it's a lot of dough for just one day of shooting (likely upwards of $100k, closer to $500k). It's too bad he couldn't convince the studio to give him more though. They are in the business of creating art, and you'd think that they would have at least a basic appreciation for what they were trying to do. The studio heads had to have known what kind of movie they were investing in. It wasn't a blockbuster action movie. Maybe that's why they didn't feel comfortable investing that much more money but it's a shame they didn't do it.

Comment

I don't know how the eff I missed this when it was current, but I had no idea Steve McNair was murdered by his mistress

SI's doing an investigation on it, and the podcast looks/sounds interesting.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/steve-mc...-titan-podcast

Comment

I'm a few episodes into this one. Pretty cool so far, even if you're not a die hard X-Men fan. Sort of takes a dark, True Detective type approach to a chapter of Wolverine's life.

https://www.wolverinepodcast.com/

Comment

I don't know how the eff I missed this when it was current, but I had no idea Steve McNair was murdered by his mistress

SI's doing an investigation on it, and the podcast looks/sounds interesting.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/steve-mc...-titan-podcast
                                Woahhhhhh. Imma look into this one.

Comment

Working...
                                X