Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GAME #2: Boston Celtics 101- Toronto Raptors 113 (2-0)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
    I think Ibaka needs to play more with Kawhi and Kyle and JV needs to play more with the bench unit. Ibaka was almost acting as the primary scorer on the bench unit. I'd much rather JV have that role while Ibaka acts as more of a role player with the starters.
    The bench really missed Delon and Siakam, who should both be really effective with Serge popping off screens. Without them, the bench unit relied too much on outside shooting alone (plus Norm had to play and last year that always meant disaster, we'll see about this year). JV doesn't fit well with the bench, though it could work OK if Siakam keeps starting, then you run a lineup with OG, Miles and FVV spacing the floor while Delon runs PnR with JV, though even that would require a leap from Delon in terms of PnR effectiveness to be viable.

I imagine Ibaka would have better results if playing with those stars, but I'd be very concerned that the two stars would have significantly worse results. Those two are our best screen and roll scorers and giving them zero effective screen setters for the majority of their minutes seems like a recipe for a) poor offence and b) overworking those stars to even keep the offence afloat.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• My dream pairings in the front court are JV/OG and Serge/Siakam.

OG is the poorest rebounder of the bunch.. so pairing him with JV makes sense. Also OG is a better 3pt shooter and won't clog the paint for our wings with JV in there.

Serge/Siakam can switch on defense and are good shot blockers. Serge can spread the floor so that helps Siakam out. Plus I'd like to see some pick and pops with Siakam and Serge.

Will be interesting to see the net ratings after 20 games with these line ups to see if my eye test fails me or not.

Comment

• Asked specifically for his thoughts on Ibaka’s outing, the rookie head coach said that despite the box score, he was happy with what he saw.

“He was on the glass; he had six fouls, and I think five of them were loose-ball fouls,” Nurse said. “It’s kind of one of the things that’s changed for him. He’s been standing around the three-point line not getting much of a chance to offensive rebound. He got his hands on some, he went for a lot more. He had some really nice moves after getting them that just kind of rolled off [the rim].

“I’m not going to get really caught up in the 2-for-10 with him because I thought he played hard, played unselfishly for the team and did a lot of positive things.”

I'm not sure if I see much wrong in that quote tbh
        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
          I really didn't have a problem with how he played. Was I not watching hard enough? Maybe. But I don't think so.
          "Stop eating your sushi."
          "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
          "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
          - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
            Nothing wrong with that quote. Serge tried hard, fouled way too much, missed some short shots as he tends to do even when he gets good looks, missed some jumpers he'll usually make, and did a bunch of positive things. And he should continue to do all those things with the bench unit. Nothing wrong with that.

It's the inherent logic that Serge doing that stuff (ie playing hard, playing unselfishly, and doing positive things) and the matchup being favourable is reason enough to play him with the starters in JV's place that's the problem. Now, Nurse hasn't explicitly said that (though he's come close and his actions back it up), but the logic is definitely being used and it was fine against a mediocre team like Cleveland (and with a big lead late) but will cost the Raptors games against better teams.

But hey, maybe not. Maybe they'll be really good with Serge at C. I sure hope so, because that would be more fun to watch. I just don't see any reason to expect that to be the case.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Windhorst has a feature on the Raptors on ESPN this morning:
              http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...ors-loaded-nba

The Toronto Raptors have the deepest roster in franchise history, a player with a chance to win the Most Valuable Player Award and a flexible style designed to handle any opponent.

This has all the makings of an incredible season, especially now that archrival LeBron James has moved to the West Coast. Yet when spending time with the Raptors, it's hard to avoid the feeling the franchise is constantly bracing for bad news.
              The Celtics are the East's favorites for a reason. But it doesn't take much imagination to see the Raptors as a nasty defensive team that flings 3-pointers by the bushel, Lowry giving his death stare and Leonard calling to mind the player who had the Warriors mulling their fate two years ago.

Right, Raptors?

"It's hard to say, I didn't really see the Celtics compete last year," Leonard said. "I wasn't on the floor."

"I think we'll be fine against Boston," Lowry said. "Every day is different, some days we'll be good against them. It's hard to define anything for us right now."

Sigh.

Comment

• On top of that, Windhorst reported the Clippers "are already rotating scouts through Raptor games like Leonard is a college prospect and they have the No. 1 pick."
                https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...y-with-raptors
                Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

Lol that was insane. 3 mammoth dunks in a row and no defense. Did everyone think this was the all star game?

Comment

• Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                      I really didn't have a problem with how he played. Was I not watching hard enough? Maybe. But I don't think so.
                      I must have watched a different game. Aside from a couple highlight-reel blocks, I thought Ibaka looked old and slow, easily the worst player on the court for the Raptors. I was actually wondering why they weren't giving Monroe some playing time in his place.

Comment

• Good article. The narrative really could have gone either way but it was a good read

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                          I must have watched a different game. Aside from a couple highlight-reel blocks, I thought Ibaka looked old and slow, easily the worst player on the court for the Raptors. I was actually wondering why they weren't giving Monroe some playing time in his place.
                          'If you ignore the best things he did..'

It's this kind of stuff that makes it seem like there's an irrational bias growing.
                          "Stop eating your sushi."
                          "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                          "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                          - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• Raps were flying with JV playing until soon after the sweet behind the back pass he made. It was hype, fans were into it raps were rollin. Then hes off and big lead starts evaporating.

I was surprised at the fans too. Roof shudda blown off for kawhis intro. I think its getting too corporate. Looked into prices to take my son and its like fuk that.

Agree Pizza Nova is good for a chain plus they have hot sopreseta topping. Pizzaiolo is best chain imo. Family run its Pizza GiGi on Harbord hands down. 2nd choice is King Slice. Then theres some classic simple italian styled places. Bitondos near college. Vesuvios in junction and Cammarras up on Dufferin /Lawrence best crust ever.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                              Windhorst has a feature on the Raptors on ESPN this morning:
                              http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...ors-loaded-nba
                              But the Raptors don't have much depth according to T-Mac.
                              Mamba Mentality

Comment

• North of Brooklyn Pizza is shit hipster bs pizza. Overpriced for nothing. Oh ya and kudos to Tony&Nicks on dufferin/dundas and havent been in awhile but Papa Ceos and Coras on spadina

Comment

Working...
                                X