Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who Has a Harder Time Integrating Two New Starters? Boston or Toronto?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Has a Harder Time Integrating Two New Starters? Boston or Toronto?

I could have put this in the game thread, but it is a question that won't be answered immediately, I don't think. And I don't hear this question being talked about much by commentators. On the face of it you would assume that Toronto has a harder time because they pick up two guys new to the organization. However, there may be less disruption to the Toronto bench, depending on how various rotation guys get used. The Raptors lose Jakob from the bench, and may have to integrate JV or Ibaka into the center position from game to game. There are also questions about where Siakim and OG are going to play night to night. If Nurse is going to go with a free flowqing offense and no set rotations, then maybe that lack of consistency becomes a bigger issue than two new guys.

Boston with Hayward and Irving have two guys with a little rust but also have disrupted a bench that was rolling pretty well last season.

I am sure both teams can deal with their respective problems relatively easily, I just wondered if one team has a smoother ride of it.

Kyrie played 60 games for Boston and they were really really good

Why do I keep reading you guys classifying it as a new addition
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
      Kyrie played 60 games for Boston and they were really really good

Why do I keep reading you guys classifying it as a new addition
      My bad. I don't follow Boston closely. I don't watch sports highlights or Sports Center highlights so have little clue about what is happening in the NBA outside of what happens to the Raptors and the odd article by a talking head. I must have got it turned around in my head thinking he missed 60 games and played 22.

Mods, kill this thread.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
        My bad. I don't follow Boston closely. I don't watch sports highlights or Sports Center highlights so have little clue about what is happening in the NBA outside of what happens to the Raptors and the odd article by a talking head. I must have got it turned around in my head thinking he missed 60 games and played 22.

Mods, kill this thread.
        It's all good Puffer! It wasnt a terrible question. I didn't need to be that guy.
        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Bakaaa treyyy

Comment

fvv summmaa 3

Comment

Looks like Boston is having a harder time.

Comment

Zainab wrote: View Post
                fvv summmaa 3
                Zainab, you bring something special to the conversation every time.

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
                  It's all good Puffer! It wasnt a terrible question. I didn't need to be that guy.
                  Keon you are NEVER that guy.
                  Last edited by Puffer; Sat Oct 20, 2018, 06:24 AM.

Comment

Boston will get better as Hayward fully finds his leg(s). But they should have always been the bigger injury question mark heading into this season.

Like, I was curious to see just how good Kawhi would be out of the gates with a new team. But his (relatively minor?) injury was just so far in the past.

Comment

Raps already began looking like a coherent unit by the second half of this game. We shouldn't underestimate the effectiveness of Lowry as a floor general and bringing people together. He seems to be already providing a steady rhythm and identity to that starting group with 2 new guys.

Now just we gotta wait for Delon to come back to give Freddy and his bench mob a little continuity and cohesiveness as well.

Comment

Difference is that the Celts 4 best guys need the ball to be effective and the two young guys want to eat. Raps best players can be off the ball and still be effective, as well as, having two PGs who are okay deferring. Raps will have an easier time keeping everyone happy. One reason I think Hayward ends up as the sixth man. He is already paid and as a vet will be more likely to go along for good of the team.

Comment

Based on yesterday it's clearly Boston...Hayward looked good at times but it's clear he's still rusty as well.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                            Difference is that the Celts 4 best guys need the ball to be effective and the two young guys want to eat. Raps best players can be off the ball and still be effective, as well as, having two PGs who are okay deferring. Raps will have an easier time keeping everyone happy. One reason I think Hayward ends up as the sixth man. He is already paid and as a vet will be more likely to go along for good of the team.
                            Regarding the bold, I think that's not quite accurate. They do need the ball, but none of them are particularly great playmakers, so it's more like they need shots but they have to figure out how to make things easier for each other when none of them is really great at creating for others. Irving gets his 5+ assists a night, but doesn't really play like a floor general. Hayward is a good passer, but kind of a jack of all trades master of none type of offensive player. Tatum and Brown are not very good playmakers at this point, and Brown is still generally better as secondary guy who shoots/cuts rather than creates for himself. Also other than Irving, none are great iso players, though Tatum is on his way to becoming one. So it is a weird situation. Lots of guys need shots but they don't really have a guy who gives the ball up and creates well for others. That's why Horford is so critical to them because he actually tends to be the closest thing to a floor general.

Comment

Boston looked pretty good against 76'ers but Kawhi was simply the difference maker in the game against the Raps. Simply put the Raptors are in a more difficult position not only because of new integration of players ( who came from another team all together) but because of a new coach that wants a constant fluidity to the starting lineup.

Kawhi is right now like a mini Lebron was in Cleveland, despite all the difficulty the inconsistent team is currently displaying, he is good enough to make a big difference and pull them to victory. Kawhi is a real superstar (sorry Lowry & DD you are/were really good and legit All-Stars but Kawhi is just on a whole other level).

Just imagine what will happen when Nick Nurse iron's out the kinks in the offence, how good this team can really look like once everyone get comfortable with their new role.

Comment

Working...
                              X