Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could we say that if Green wasn't part of the Deal the deal would be looking bad right now ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could we say that if Green wasn't part of the Deal the deal would be looking bad right now ?

Could we say that if Green wasn't part of the Deal the deal would be looking bad right now . I am not saying we would be screaming bloody murder but we wouldn't be so ecstatic .

The trade is a very good move for the franchise..
    Getting Green in addition to Leonard has made it a very very good move.
    There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
    - TGO

Comment

guyroch wrote: View Post
      Could we say that if Green wasn't part of the Deal the deal would be looking bad right now . I am not saying we would be screaming bloody murder but we wouldn't be so ecstatic .
      Well, the deal was a good one regardless. As it is, the deal was an incredible steal, theft of the century, and that's the reaction many had on the day of the trade because no one was optimistic enough to hope that a) the only prospect going out would be Poeltl, b) the pick going out would be protected, c) the protections on the pick would be top 20, d) the pick would shift to 2nd rounders after only a single year of being protected, e) the excess salary coming back would be an expiring deal, or, most amazingly, f) that expiring contract would be Danny freaking Green. And the Spurs threw in cash. Because of course they did.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
        Well, the deal was a good one regardless. As it is, the deal was an incredible steal, theft of the century, and that's the reaction many had on the day of the trade because no one was optimistic enough to hope that a) the only prospect going out would be Poeltl, b) the pick going out would be protected, c) the protections on the pick would be top 20, d) the pick would shift to 2nd rounders after only a single year of being protected, e) the excess salary coming back would be an expiring deal, or, most amazingly, f) that expiring contract would be Danny freaking Green. And the Spurs threw in cash. Because of course they did.
        The chances of us finishing out of the top 10 this year are pretty slim, barring injury to Kawhi or Lowry. So it looks like we're losing the pick, no? Still a loss, though, considering what Masai has been able to do with late 1st rounders.

Comment

You do that trade every day, even without Green. Then you look forward to half a season of working out the kinks. Most of the issues with lost games (I believe) can be written off to the rash of injuries that have derailed any kind if consistency in the rotation.

OG, Siakim, and JV would still show improved games. Ibaka would still be a revelation.

Not taking anything away from Green. He is plus/minus off the charts. Obviously a big thing. But if he wasn't with the team, absent the injuries, they would still be doing very well. They would be a better team than last year's iteration.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
            The chances of us finishing out of the top 10 this year are pretty slim, barring injury to Kawhi or Lowry. So it looks like we're losing the pick, no? Still a loss, though, considering what Masai has been able to do with late 1st rounders.
            Well, yeah, but the protections mean that if everything were to go wrong, we'd still have our pick. It protected us against the scenario where, say, Kawhi's injury flared up and he never played much, Lowry took on too much in his absence and ended up hurt all year, and we found our way into a decent or even good pick. And then the rebuild would be on - and if we had multi-year shrinking protections as are standard in these deals, we'd be risking losing a high draft pick during that rebuild phase. Instead it immediately converts to 2nd rounders.

The case where no disaster occurs is the case where the protections don't matter, but that's the case where we have Kawhi Leonard playing for the Raptors, so, yeah, giving up a late 1st is the least you'd expect to give up. It's only a "loss" in the sense that, no, we did not get Kawhi Leonard for literally nothing.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I assume that the purpose of this thread is to throw shade at Kawhi??

Danny Green obviously was a great bonus, and Kawhi has been playing poorly for his standards. But it's only game 18 (and Kawhi has missed a few).

Kawhi is not the Kawhi he was before his injury. He's hesitant with some of his moves in isolation. He's not as sharp defensively as he was in his DPOY year. He's not as explosive as he can be. But he's still mighty efficient. And he's still a terror defensively.

Kawhi Leonard was brought in for the playoffs. He loves that pressure. That's what I'm looking forward to. If Kawhi for some reason lays an egg just as bad as DeMar did (and I'm talking both sides of the floor).. and then he walks at the end of the year. Yeah that would be terrible if we didn't also get Danny.

But I'm not expecting that to happen.

I still absolutely love this trade.

Comment

To answer the original question, absolutely not. You're getting arguably the best player in the league in a specific category (two-way), proven playoff player and letting go of a guy who was never going to single handedly win the team a championship.

But really, do we need these threads already? I'm guessing there are some serious withdrawal symptoms given how well the team started and then hitting last weeks losing streak. The thought that we're drawing conclusions on how good or bad the team is (when in first place overall in the league standings) in November is making this place seem like a mental asylum.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                  I assume that the purpose of this thread is to throw shade at Kawhi??

No it wasn't ... Maybe ... No ... lol ... As a fan this super cautious approach to Kawhi means we don't have him as much as would like . I think Green in the starting 5 helps them on games with or without Kawhi . He stabilizes the defense and doesn't need the offense to be centered around him .

Comment

Beneperez wrote: View Post
                    But really, do we need these threads already? .
                    I am hesitant to start threads and if it didn't get a reaction I would have deleted it . What we are ( I ) learning is Green was just not a throw in and has had a big impact on this team success . The fact C J Miles shot has gone cold he has even been a bigger factor .

Comment

guyroch wrote: View Post
                      No it wasn't ... Maybe ... No ... lol ... As a fan this super cautious approach to Kawhi means we don't have him as much as would like . I think Green in the starting 5 helps them on games with or without Kawhi . He stabilizes the defense and doesn't need the offense to be centered around him .
                      I think Green is even more important in the 4th quarter, when Lowry tends to panic and while Nurse is still feeling his way around coaching late game execution.

Comment

Wouldn't look bad but wouldn't be as good as it turned out if that makes sense.
                        Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

There is nothing that could make me think this deal was bad. Even if Kawhi got injured for the season tomorrow. You cant make trades with a crystal ball. He went out and got a guy that had superstar talent to come play here. That's is really the be all, end all of 80% of discussions here. How do we acquire all world talent?

No matter what happens masai did his job. The trade was great. Now it's up to kawhi, nick and the rest of them to do their job.
                          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Don't think that OP is suggesting that this would be a bad trade without Danny.

But with Kawhi missing so many games (and still looking rusty), would we be having a harder time staying atop the standings if Danny wasn't around? I'd say the answer would be yes.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                              Don't think that OP is suggesting that this would be a bad trade without Danny.

But with Kawhi missing so many games (and still looking rusty), would we be having a harder time staying atop the standings if Danny wasn't around? I'd say the answer would be yes.
                              Yeah, but there's not being at the very top of the standings (or, as you put it, having a hard time staying there) and there's "looking bad." I don't think we're actually looking bad right now if we didn't have Danny. We'd probably not be right at the top of the standings, but there's a pretty big gap between that and bad.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                              X