No announcement yet.

Game #28: Milwaukee Bucks @ Toronto Raptors, December 9 - 6PM EST TSN/590

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow this thread is burn-worthy. Guys, am I the only one who is very encouraged by this game?

The all bench garbage fire that Nurse seemed to have figured out was garbage somehow saw 6.5 minutes in this one. They were -13 in those 6.5 minutes. So otherwise we won that game handily. Either way, even if Nurse never figures out that the unit is garbage, he won't trot it out in the playoffs.

I was sure when FVV was the early sub for Siakam that he'd be coming back in with the bench, but nope! Weird.

Otherwise, that was a fun game! No? Great plays made on both sides, Kawhi was a delight to watch (especially defensively). Yeah, Lowry still looks out of sorts but the raw point totals just seem like a side effect of how defences are playing him. He could force up some shots but he's finding guys instead. Lowry had a 121 ORTG in this one (and the Raps had a 65 ORTG with him sitting). The offence is not struggling because he's not scoring. So who cares? Yeah, he needs to hit threes when he's open, and the small number of attempts make it hard to get him back in rhythm. They'll need to find a way to fix that. But in the grand scheme this is not a big issue. No idea why people are panicking.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
      Wow this thread is burn-worthy. Guys, am I the only one who is very encouraged by this game?

The all bench garbage fire that Nurse seemed to have figured out was garbage somehow saw 6.5 minutes in this one. They were -13 in those 6.5 minutes. So otherwise we won that game handily. Either way, even if Nurse never figures out that the unit is garbage, he won't trot it out in the playoffs.

I was sure when FVV was the early sub for Siakam that he'd be coming back in with the bench, but nope! Weird.

Otherwise, that was a fun game! No? Great plays made on both sides, Kawhi was a delight to watch (especially defensively). Yeah, Lowry still looks out of sorts but the raw point totals just seem like a side effect of how defences are playing him. He could force up some shots but he's finding guys instead. Lowry had a 121 ORTG in this one (and the Raps had a 65 ORTG with him sitting). The offence is not struggling because he's not scoring. So who cares? Yeah, he needs to hit threes when he's open, and the small number of attempts make it hard to get him back in rhythm. They'll need to find a way to fix that. But in the grand scheme this is not a big issue. No idea why people are panicking.
      We're raptors fans, that's kind of our thing.
      "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

• FVV says forget about last year bench unit.
        Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

FVV says forget about last year bench unit.
          Agreed. Siakam and Poeltl were a big piece to that unit and they dont play there. Miles has struggled. FVV has struggled alot. Wright has gone done.

That unit is dead and the funny thing is the bench was our saviour last year, this year it's the opposite...

Comment

• All this "forget about last year's bench unit" stuff is funny because if they made any attempt to remotely recreate last year's bench unit they'd be almost unstoppable every night for 48 minutes.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Wow this thread is burn-worthy. Guys, am I the only one who is very encouraged by this game?

I agree there's no reason to panic, and that there were a some really good positives on this. The defence for one looked as stellar as ever. I would just say that Lowry, at least for now, is a little more than "out of sorts", and I'm a big fan of his game. His ORTG may be high, he is playmakimg (and also defending) and that's awesome, but you can't have your starting PG go a whole game without a bucket. There's no team in today's NBA that can sustain that. I don't think he needs to average the ppg he used to, but he needs to at least be a threat out there, to keep the defences honest and make it easier on himself and others. He's just too timid, and that's more concerning than the zero points.

I think in the grand scheme of things the law of averages will catch up and he'll have some great games again. He's not on a "decline" or anything, that's an abrupt fall over a few games after sitting down with an injury, and it's not indicative of the future. But for this game, and this game only, I'll have to call a spade a spade: he sucked. Just as much as I know he sucked, I know it's a one off, he'll regroup and figure it out.

Positives of this game though:
              --Nurse looks like he's finallly realizing the all-bench unit doesn't work
              --Serge quietly scores a team best 24 with solid defence to go with it
              --Both FVV & Siakam had very good games
              --Green, albeit cooling down on offence, continues to give great defence
              --Kawhi looks healthy and physical as ever
              Last edited by inthepaint; Mon Dec 10, 2018, 12:03 AM.

Comment

• Saying you can't go a whole game without your starting PG getting a bucket is wrong. Clearly, you can. Lowry was a +7 in a 5 point loss. Now that's not to say he's on top of his game, but I don't want him forcing up shots to get points if that hurts the offence. He's doing the right thing most of the time still, and the individual production will come back around.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Why are you so sure Nurse will either figure out the bench or not use it in the playoffs? That's a lot of confidence in Nurse in opinion that he hasn't warranted. At least not yet
                  I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

Saying you can't go a whole game without your starting PG getting a bucket is wrong. Clearly, you can. Lowry was a +7 in a 5 point loss. Now that's not to say he's on top of his game, but I don't want him forcing up shots to get points if that hurts the offence. He's doing the right thing most of the time still, and the individual production will come back around.
                    No, you can't go 33 minutes as a starting point guard on an elite team with zero points (and 4 turnovers to go with it) and think it's okay and sustainable for the future just because the raw +/- was +7. Lowry himself will be the first to tell you. He will revert back to his former self, but in the event he didn't and he simply became an energy guy just giving you plus on the +/- without a threat to score (again the issue here is not just the zero points it's the low attempts), that will drag the whole team down. It would create significant spacing issues for his teammates when a PG doesn't command the defence's attention for his own shot. Lowry knows it, and will bounce back though.

Comment

• Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post
                        No, you can't go 33 minutes as a starting point guard on an elite team with zero points (and 4 turnovers to go with it) and think it's okay and sustainable for the future just because the raw +/- was +7. Lowry himself will be the first to tell you. He will revert back to his former self, but in the event he didn't and he simply became an energy guy just giving you plus on the +/- without a threat to score (again the issue here is not just the zero points it's the low attempts), that will drag the whole team down. It would create significant spacing issues for his teammates when a PG doesn't command the defence's attention for his own shot. Lowry knows it, and will bounce back though.
                        Okay, but who is saying Lowry having zero points is sustainable? Of course it’s not sustainable, and of course it won’t continue. It does show however that in instances where it happens, if it happens the right way, the team can definitely overcome that.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• GLF wrote: View Post
                          Why are you so sure Nurse will either figure out the bench or not use it in the playoffs? That's a lot of confidence in Nurse in opinion that he hasn't warranted. At least not yet
                          Because we have no reason to ascribe Casey’s worst characteristics to him. Why would I assume Nurse can’t see what we can see (especially as he has fiddled recently with fixes to the bench)? I eventually got to that point with Casey, but he proved he was not to be trusted. Has Nurse done that already for you? If so, that seems like an over-reaction to an early season trend.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• even snarky Lowry is gone

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

MIL: -10
                              PHI: +20
                              GSW: +8
                              DEN: -12
                              PHI: +5
                              MIL: +7

Raps win by an average of 6 points when Lowry is on the floor against teams with under 10 losses, and that’s with him shooting poorly. Ooh, poor Raps, to have to suffer such performances.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

MIL: -10
                                PHI: +20
                                GSW: +8
                                DEN: -12
                                PHI: +5
                                MIL: +7

Raps win by an average of 6 points when Lowry is on the floor against teams with under 10 losses, and that’s with him shooting poorly. Ooh, poor Raps, to have to suffer such performances.
                                Dan I trust you but that +/- starts to seem kinda overrated.

Comment

Working...
                                X