Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game #31: Raptors (23-7) @ Trailblazers (15-13); Friday, Dec. 14th at 10pm on SN1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

planetmars wrote: View Post
    It'll be close between James and Giannis.

James should win it though. The Lakers team is so bad after Lebron. And I totally agree.. if he can get top 4 seed in the West, it's a lock for him.
    James should probably win it every year. The streak of finals appearances with some of the teams he's been on is ridiculous and when you look at his numbers and his efficiency I think he deserves it.

Comment

It'll be close between James and Giannis.

James should win it though. The Lakers team is so bad after Lebron. And I totally agree.. if he can get top 4 seed in the West, it's a lock for him.
      Think I just said this recently but I really don't like the "the rest of his team is bad and he's really good" argument for MVP.

James and Giannis with strikingly similar production to date. Do the Bucks, after Giannis, really have much more talent than the Lakers? Any more talent? There's a lot of hype around the Lakers' young guys and an endless cycle of vets being brought in to prop things up.

Giannis is not taking defensive possessions off, is rebounding at almost twice the rate, and is only markedly different in one other area - he's an awful 3 pt shooter.

I think I'd give it to Giannis, I think Lebron/Lakers mostly have more narrative power.
      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
        Think I just said this recently but I really don't like the "the rest of his team is bad and he's really good" argument for MVP.

James and Giannis with strikingly similar production to date. Do the Bucks, after Giannis, really have much more talent than the Lakers? Any more talent? There's a lot of hype around the Lakers' young guys and an endless cycle of vets being brought in to prop things up.

Giannis is not taking defensive possessions off, is rebounding at almost twice the rate, and is only markedly different in one other area - he's an awful 3 pt shooter.

I think I'd give it to Giannis, I think Lebron/Lakers mostly have more narrative power.
        And, is it even fair to penalize a world-class player because he lucked into playing with a strong supporting cast?

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post

What is a "valuable player" though?

Is it just based on stats like the Russ year? Or is it more than that?

To me it's the guy that makes the most difference to their team. And the best way to judge that is to see what their record would be without that guy. Sometimes it's hard to see that.. other times it's easy.

Lakers without Lebron were a dumpster fire last year. There is a reason why they 20th in the league and in the lottery. Some other guys came and went but Lebron has them at 17-11 and currently 5th in the West. He's that "valuable".

The Bucks were 7th in the East. If they finish the season at #1 than I would give him the nod.. that's a big boost. But otherwise if the Lakers are in the top half of the West, that's all on Lebron's shoulders.

In the Raptors case.. I have Kyle over Kawhi but Kyle doesn't have the same type of cred others have in the league.

I hope Kyle gets FMVP though

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
            And, is it even fair to penalize a world-class player because he lucked into playing with a strong supporting cast?
            I think it's fair. That guy wasn't as valuable to his team as someone else because that team was already stacked.

Comment

bertarapsfan wrote: View Post
              Not calling the winner. just calling that kawhis gonna be out of the running with the amount of games hes gonna miss.Steph got crucified for missing 10 game and kawhis almost missed that many 35% in.
              I'm sorry, could you point me to the year he missed 10 games and didn't win MVP because of it? I'm seeing a bunch of 78-80 game seasons and a 51 game season in his MVP-eligible years.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                The Bucks wouldn't make the playoffs without Giannis. They'd maybe win 30 games.

Comment

What is a "valuable player" though?

Is it just based on stats like the Russ year? Or is it more than that?

To me it's the guy that makes the most difference to their team. And the best way to judge that is to see what their record would be without that guy. Sometimes it's hard to see that.. other times it's easy.

Lakers without Lebron were a dumpster fire last year. There is a reason why they 20th in the league and in the lottery. Some other guys came and went but Lebron has them at 17-11 and currently 5th in the West. He's that "valuable".

The Bucks were 7th in the East. If they finish the season at #1 than I would give him the nod.. that's a big boost. But otherwise if the Lakers are in the top half of the West, that's all on Lebron's shoulders.

In the Raptors case.. I have Kyle over Kawhi but Kyle doesn't have the same type of cred others have in the league.

I hope Kyle gets FMVP though
                  "5th in the West" doesn't really carry the same status it used to. 5th in the West is like 2 games in the loss column from being either: 1st in the conference or right out of the playoffs. The West is like one giant treadmill of mediocrity. The top 4 teams in the East are probably right there after Golden State, so that's where the MVP should probably come from, if it isn't Curry.

Comment

G__Deane wrote: View Post
                    OT from CBS Sports: bwahahahahahahahh

The Philadelphia 76ers are 10-3 since they made the blockbuster trade to acquire Jimmy Butler from the Minnesota Timberwolves a month ago. Despite their winning ways, however, everything is not OK in Philly. That's because franchise superstar Joel Embiid is not happy.

Embiid didn't play in the Sixers' win over the Detroit Pistons on Friday night due to rest, but his issue isn't with being held out. According to the man himself, he's frustrated with his role since the Butler trade. In an interview with the Philadelphia Inquirer, Embiid voiced frustration with the way head coach Brett Brown is using him on offense, which he feels includes too much time on the perimeter.

"I haven't been myself lately," Embiid told the Philadelphia Inquirer on Friday. "I think it's mainly because of the way I've been used, which is I'm being used as a spacer, I guess, a stretch five, which I'm only shooting (29) percent (from the 3-point line).

"But it seems like the past couple games, like with the way I play, our setup, (Brown) always has me starting on the perimeter ... and it just really frustrates me. My body feels great, and it's just I haven't been playing well."

While nearly everyone agreed that the Sixers' decision to trade for Butler was a worthwhile risk to take, there were wide-ranging concerns about how everything would work out. So far, there's been little trouble on the court, as their recent run of form shows. In fact, Butler already has two game-winning shots since coming over from Minnesota.

As Embiid's quotes show though, everything has apparently not been fine off the court. The big man has always been one to speak his mind, and it's not surprising to hear him vent about whatever frustrations he's feeling. But the fact that he's already publicly voicing frustrations about his role playing alongside Butler is not a great sign.

The Sixers made this trade with re-signing Butler to a long-term deal in mind, which means they hope the two will be playing together for years to come. It's going to be a tough task to keep all three of Embiid, Butler and Ben Simmons happy, but the Sixers need to smooth this problem over quickly before it spirals into something bigger.
                    I'm kind of hoping we see this kind of thing when Cousins joins the Warriors. I don't see how all of their all stars can be happy.

Comment

G__Deane wrote: View Post
                      OT from CBS Sports: bwahahahahahahahh

The Philadelphia 76ers are 10-3 since they made the blockbuster trade to acquire Jimmy Butler from the Minnesota Timberwolves a month ago. Despite their winning ways, however, everything is not OK in Philly. That's because franchise superstar Joel Embiid is not happy.

Embiid didn't play in the Sixers' win over the Detroit Pistons on Friday night due to rest, but his issue isn't with being held out. According to the man himself, he's frustrated with his role since the Butler trade. In an interview with the Philadelphia Inquirer, Embiid voiced frustration with the way head coach Brett Brown is using him on offense, which he feels includes too much time on the perimeter.

"I haven't been myself lately," Embiid told the Philadelphia Inquirer on Friday. "I think it's mainly because of the way I've been used, which is I'm being used as a spacer, I guess, a stretch five, which I'm only shooting (29) percent (from the 3-point line).

"But it seems like the past couple games, like with the way I play, our setup, (Brown) always has me starting on the perimeter ... and it just really frustrates me. My body feels great, and it's just I haven't been playing well."

While nearly everyone agreed that the Sixers' decision to trade for Butler was a worthwhile risk to take, there were wide-ranging concerns about how everything would work out. So far, there's been little trouble on the court, as their recent run of form shows. In fact, Butler already has two game-winning shots since coming over from Minnesota.

As Embiid's quotes show though, everything has apparently not been fine off the court. The big man has always been one to speak his mind, and it's not surprising to hear him vent about whatever frustrations he's feeling. But the fact that he's already publicly voicing frustrations about his role playing alongside Butler is not a great sign.

The Sixers made this trade with re-signing Butler to a long-term deal in mind, which means they hope the two will be playing together for years to come. It's going to be a tough task to keep all three of Embiid, Butler and Ben Simmons happy, but the Sixers need to smooth this problem over quickly before it spirals into something bigger.
                      Butler and "seamless transition"...name a worse duo.

Embiid is the franchise here. But of course as usual "we're gonna alter our team for Jimmy"

fine by me.
                      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Mitch P wrote: View Post
                        I'm kind of hoping we see this kind of thing when Cousins joins the Warriors. I don't see how all of their all stars can be happy.
                        It won't really matter with Cousins. He is not someone the Warriors are investing much in, unlike Philly with Embiid. If Cousins causes issues, I'm sure they'll just tell him to stay away from the team and possibly explore buyout options. They can easily win without him, and it won't have an impact on their future either.

Philly doesn't have that luxury. They need things to work out pretty well. If it doesn't, they could be back to tanking much sooner than they'd like to be.

Comment

Eh the Sixers will be fine.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/s...cent-comments/

Butler hates lazy teammates and Embiid is anything but lazy. I just hope they don't get shit out of trading Fultz, though apparently several teams are interested.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
                            Eh the Sixers will be fine.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/s...cent-comments/

Butler hates lazy teammates and Embiid is anything but lazy. I just hope they don't get shit out of trading Fultz, though apparently several teams are interested.
                            Doesn’t sound like Butler is the issue. The issue is whether Embiid is happy and what that means. Butler isn’t the only big ego in that room.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                              Doesn’t sound like Butler is the issue. The issue is whether Embiid is happy and what that means. Butler isn’t the only big ego in that room.
                              Itll be an interesting dynamic going forward. Butler was the best player in Chicago, and Minnesota. Embiid is the best player in philly.

If and when butler has another dramatic power move, he doesnt hold the cards.
                              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

bertarapsfan wrote: View Post
                                Not calling the winner. just calling that kawhis gonna be out of the running with the amount of games hes gonna miss.Steph got crucified for missing 10 game and kawhis almost missed that many 35% in.
                                Steph got penalized because he plays with other superstars more than the games missed imo

Comment

Working...
                                X