Game #38 Bulls @ Raptors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G__Deane wrote: View Post
    I may be wrong but I seem to remember Fred going to the tin successfully a lot more often last season (off the bench). But you have to have the first step off the bounce be quicker than your defender and the ability to go higher off the glass. Lowry AND FVV were better at that last year.
    He was excellent going to the rim last year. Unstoppable-looking, at times.

I feel like his toe still isn't 100%, and he can't get proper separation because of it.
    "Stop eating your sushi."
    "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
    "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
    - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• Fred was brutal going to the rim in his rookie year too....had a very low shooting percentage in the paint. He seemed to figure it out somewhat last year but now opponents seem to have figured HIM out. They just wait and then those long arms go up and Fred crashes into the photographers. Guy must have a lot of bruises.

The Raptors can be a very strong team with all of the pieces because they have a little or a lot of everything with no big holes (maybe 3 point shooting, but I think it is just good enough). But they NEED all of those pieces. Bucks could lose a guy or two and as long is it wasn't the Freak they'd be okay. Philly can't lose Embiid or Simmons. Celtics might even be better without Irving and could lose one or two guys and you wouldn't notice. I think Kyle, JV and Kawhi are the three that hurt us the most by absence and we are down 2/3. I don't expect many wins until at least one is back. Not that I'm a pessimist.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
        To be fair, in that one game sample size Kyle clearly shouldn't have been playing at all and sat (or more specifically, layed) the 4th quarter and got treatment. It for all intents and purposes could have been chalked as without kawhi and half of kyle game

Kawhi's replacement is OG or...Powell or CJ...so the drop off is even more dramatic

No JV certainly but I mean at 18 minutes a game being picked up by Monroe and a little more of Siakam and small plus Boucher...shouldn't be totally dramatic. I guess all in all its fair to say no Kyle, no JV, aka the "bookends" at 1 and 5 and the longest tenured Raptors, those 2 combined, guts the heart and soul of the team.. and A LOT of offense.
        Can't really compare Kawhi & Kyle. Lowry knows the offense and it's his job to get other guys in rhythm. Kawhi has said repeatedly that he's still learning the offense, and it's his job to be a primary scorer. Probably is that FVV isn't getting anybody in rhythm.... in fact, the opposite. Exhibit A is Ibaka, who has fallen off a cliff with FVV as his PG to the point where Serge is trying to create off the dribble. Siakam, to the lesser extent isn't getting easy baskets... we haven't seen a touchdown pass in weeks. The drop-off between 2 PGs affects the whole team. Losing Kawhi, it can be compensated by a great PG - which Lowry is to spread the scoring around. Part of what we're seeing is just how talented (or not) FVV really is.

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
          He was excellent going to the rim last year. Unstoppable-looking, at times.

I feel like his toe still isn't 100%, and he can't get proper separation because of it.
          Fred has been battling a few health bumps and bruises. He had the turf toe..then he banged up his chest again...
          Once he gets himself to where he wants to be health wise think Freddy will play pretty well for them in all aspects of his game...

Freddy is a mentally tough player as well...Ther s no stat for that but he is one of those guys.
          There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
          - TGO

Comment

• Mitch P wrote: View Post
            Fred was brutal going to the rim in his rookie year too....had a very low shooting percentage in the paint. He seemed to figure it out somewhat last year but now opponents seem to have figured HIM out. They just wait and then those long arms go up and Fred crashes into the photographers. Guy must have a lot of bruises.

The Raptors can be a very strong team with all of the pieces because they have a little or a lot of everything with no big holes (maybe 3 point shooting, but I think it is just good enough). But they NEED all of those pieces. Bucks could lose a guy or two and as long is it wasn't the Freak they'd be okay. Philly can't lose Embiid or Simmons. Celtics might even be better without Irving and could lose one or two guys and you wouldn't notice. I think Kyle, JV and Kawhi are the three that hurt us the most by absence and we are down 2/3. I don't expect many wins until at least one is back. Not that I'm a pessimist.
            I disagree on one point and that's the 3 pt shooting is NOT good enough. It might and should revert to a higher over time especially with Lowry's return but for quite some time now, Miles, FVV, Serge, Siakam, Norm, Wright etc vitually everyone not named Kawhi, Green and Lowry are just not good enough. And their numbers don't exactly jump off the page either.

They have to get better just by getting better. It's not like they are only missing contested threes or taking bad shots. They're missing wide open uncontested threes ALL THE TIME.

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post
              Quick Fury, new game thread up pls. Save us from this ugly win!
              No man it's time for me to ride off into the sunset and retire as the ONLY undefeated RR thread starter. The Rocky Marciano of the Republic.

Someone create a new game thread for tomorrow.
              Last edited by The Great One; Mon Dec 31, 2018, 05:50 PM.
              Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Fury wrote: View Post
                No man it's time for me to ride off into the sunset and retire as the ONLY undefeated RR thread starter. The Rocky Marciano of the Republic.

Don't upset the Basketball gods Fury. Start another one of your crap .. er, minimalist .. game threads and let's go Raps!! Haha

Comment

You have to or else we risk a 10 game losing streak. Dont tempt the nba gods
                  To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

You'll have an asterisk in the HOF though ....

Comment

• Happy new year to all of the Republic. Here’s to 2019, the year of the nba championship Raptors. That has a nice ring to it.

Comment

• Nice of DeMar to participate in San Antonio's 46 points in the 3rd Q to beat the Celtics although it was Aldridge that owned the night. Asked about the upcoming game with the Raptors, Demar said:

"Honestly, I wish I had something cool to say to look for it, but I haven’t thought about it at all," DeRozan said. "I’m pretty sure once I get the questions about it, at some point I’m going to get to it but I haven’t been thinking about it."

Sure you haven't DeMar ....

Comment

Working...
                        X