2018-19 Trade Rumours and Discussion - Deadline February 7th 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• inthepaint wrote: View Post
    They're all playing very well this year, all shooting 43% and up from deep with over 4 attempts per game. So yeah, any of them would be nice, but for that very reason I don't see their teams parting with them, unless it's for the very players we don't want to part with ourselves (eg Siakam).

Maybe Moore if NOLA really parts with AD and tank, but that's very unlikely. The Heat loves Winslow. Warren at 25 for Phoenix is a great player to grow with Booker & Ayton so I don't think they'd part with him unless is for there's a first rounder + prospect in the mix.

But yeah, conceptually these are the kind of players we could use: reliable rotation players that can shoot the 3 well. On paper we have that already, problem is they're all banged up/going through slumps at the same time.
    The thing is none of them are defensive studs although you could make an argument for Winslow. And the heat, pels and suns could all use a defensive boost. I wonder if OG, Miles and a pick (preferably a 2nd rounder) would be able to pry one of them away.

https://bit.ly/2U4mzUy
    Last edited by c-troop; Sun Jan 20, 2019, 04:41 PM.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
      We already have our own version of Justise Winslow - his name is Norman Powell. Winslow's assist stats are inflated because they're playing him at PG a lot of the time. Powell's overall efficiency (112 vs 103) and TS% (.587 vs. .512) more than make up for the slight edge Winslow has in 3P% (.383 vs. .354). And Norm's stats since he returned from injury are even better.

http://bkref.com/tiny/alcDG
      Bro I agree with you, Powell is playing excellent as of late. Truthfully, I'm worried about Miles and our ability to really air it out.

Comment

• c-troop wrote: View Post
        What would you be willing to give up for Justise Winslow, E'Twaun Moore, or T.J. Warren?

https://bit.ly/2U4mzUy
        This got me thinking and it's a lazy Sunday here, so here's a list of players shooting over 40% from deep, on more than 3 attempts per game (excluding all-star type players). We only have one player that fit that criteria (Danny).

Justise Winslow
        Etwan Moore
        TJ Warren
        Luke Kennard
        Luke Kornet (always get them mixed up but both Lukes are doing over 40% on over 3 attempts)
        Troy Daniels
        Nic Batum
        Juan Hernangomez
        Harrison Barnes
        Tony Snell
        Nemanja Bjelica
        Malik Beasly
        Brogdon
        Bryn Forbes
        DJ Augustin
        Korver
        Bojan Bogdonovic
        Marcus Morris
        Will Barton
        Gallinari
        Davis Bertans (has been incredible this year)
        Derrick Rose
        Buddy Hield
        Joe Harris

Ideally we'd get our own guys going, but if they don't, and some of these teams have fire-sales at the deadline, something could happen. Either way we have to at least be middle of the road on 3P% by the the playoffs if we want to contend (can't be near the bottom like we've been).

Comment

This got me thinking and it's a lazy Sunday here, so here's a list of players shooting over 40% from deep, on more than 3 attempts per game (excluding all-star type players). We only have one player that fit that criteria (Danny).

Justise Winslow
          Etwan Moore
          TJ Warren
          Luke Kennard
          Luke Kornet (always get them mixed up but both Lukes are doing over 40% on over 3 attempts)
          Troy Daniels
          Nic Batum
          Juan Hernangomez
          Harrison Barnes
          Tony Snell
          Nemanja Bjelica
          Malik Beasly
          Brogdon
          Bryn Forbes
          DJ Augustin
          Korver
          Bojan Bogdonovic
          Marcus Morris
          Will Barton
          Gallinari
          Derrick Rose
          Buddy Hield
          Joe Harris

Ideally we'd get our own guys going, but if they don't, and some of these teams have fire-sales at the deadline, something could happen. Either way we have to at least be middle of the road on 3P% by the the playoffs if we want to contend (can't be near the bottom like we've been).
          If they're on a top 6 team in either conference I don't see a trade happening. Snell and Brogdon are both on Milwuakee so you can cross them off. Pretty much go through the process of elimination of Team, Position, Age and Conference and try to find our unicorn. I can't see Sac moving Buddy Hield after what they had to give up to get him but maybe they would pull the trigger on Shumpert. He's shooting just under 40% and he's playoff tested. https://www.basketball-reference.com...shumpim01.html

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
            Ted Leonsis, the owner of the Wizards, decided to put out a statement basically saying that he would never tank. So I guess that means he's not going to be trading Beal (or Wall) anytime soon.

That's actually good since if Beal was to be traded, I have a feeling it would be to the Celtics or somehow Houston or other team to screw us.

Comment

Justise Winslow
              Etwan Moore
              TJ Warren
              Luke Kennard
              Troy Daniels
              Nic Batum
              Juan Hernangomez
              Harrison Barnes
              Tony Snell
              Nemanja Bjelica
              Malik Beasly
              Brogdon
              Bryn Forbes
              DJ Augustin
              Korver
              Bojan Bogdonovic
              Marcus Morris
              Will Barton
              Gallinari
              Derrick Rose
              Buddy Hield
              Joe Harris

I am hoping for players like Vince Carter, Jeremy Lin or Derrick Rose asking for a release before March.1 and that would be the best case scenerio to add someone for a playoffs run without losing assets.

Comment

• https://tipofthetower.com/2019/01/20...eal-trade/amp/

Comment

• Wayne Ellington for Delon Wright.

Can we use the Jakob trade exception to facilitate that? Seems like a decent trade for both sides, after the Heat & Raps strikeout on getting Beal.

Comment

Wayne Ellington for Delon Wright.

Can we use the Jakob trade exception to facilitate that? Seems like a decent trade for both sides, after the Heat & Raps strikeout on getting Beal.
                    Ellington makes 6.3M. Poeltl's TPE is just under 3M, so it cannot be used to acquire Ellington, and TPEs cannot be combined with other TPEs or players.

The only salaries we have that match are in the Miles+ category (ie, Miles, Powell, Green, and the obvious bigger salaries). Unless we do multiple smaller salaries (probably not viable). The real problem is that MIA is a tax team and absolutely won't take on salary in a deal.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Wayne Ellington for Delon Wright.

Can't combine a TPE with a player. TPE can be used to absorb one or more players but cannot be used in combination with one of our players to make a simultaneous trade.

We'd have to give up a larger contract to get Ellington like CJ, Norm, Green or JV. Or hope for a buy out (and hope he wants to come here).

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                        Ellington makes 6.3M. Poeltl's TPE is just under 3M, so it cannot be used to acquire Ellington, and TPEs cannot be combined with other TPEs or players.

The only salaries we have that match are in the Miles+ category (ie, Miles, Powell, Green, and the obvious bigger salaries). Unless we do multiple smaller salaries (probably not viable). The real problem is that MIA is a tax team and absolutely won't take on salary in a deal.
                        Ok, then we involve a 3rd team who is in the market for 3-pt shooting, like the Utah Jazz, who might take a flyer on CJ. Something like this works:

To Toronto: Wayne Ellington
                        To Heat: Wright & Sefolosha (both expiring)
                        To Jazz: CJ Miles

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ybslmlo2

I'd want the Jazz to include Raul Neto in the deal, as he's developed into a pretty reliable backup PG (unlike FVV). Only caveat is that Neto is from Brazil and this franchise hasn't had a whole lot of luck with that. j/k. Still works with Neto in the deal.

Comment

• The challenge is that a lot of trade targets are also buyout candidates. Why give up much for a guy could be a free agent a week or 2 later? Think they need to tweak the buyout date or align it better with the trade deadline

Comment

• Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post
                            The challenge is that a lot of trade targets are also buyout candidates. Why give up much for a guy could be a free agent a week or 2 later? Think they need to tweak the buyout date or align it better with the trade deadline
                            It seems to happen every year. Teams like us make trades, then Lebron and Golden State and Houston sweep in and gobble up all the buyouts to fill out the end of their rotation
                            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Ok, then we involve a 3rd team who is in the market for 3-pt shooting, like the Utah Jazz, who might take a flyer on CJ. Something like this works:

To Toronto: Wayne Ellington
                              To Heat: Wright & Sefolosha (both expiring)
                              To Jazz: CJ Miles

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ybslmlo2

I'd want the Jazz to include Raul Neto in the deal, as he's developed into a pretty reliable backup PG (unlike FVV). Only caveat is that Neto is from Brazil and this franchise hasn't had a whole lot of luck with that. j/k. Still works with Neto in the deal.
                              Hey, sure, if you can find a team that will take on CJ's deal, great, but that seems dramatically unlikely.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• I feel like the only way were are getting Beal is if it happens 15 mins before the deadline ends. Masai sees the wounded Washington roster, still outside the playoff picture and knows they want to fix their books sooner than later.

Masai offers up a mix bag of Norm, CJ, Delon and Malachi, and maybe a second round pick. Washington takes the deal having both Delon and Malachi come off the books at the end of season and Norm and CJ are easier contracts to swallow than Beal's. Washington totally gets fleeced, but no-one is taking on Wall's contract and Porter might be even harder to unload.

If not that scenario, I see only minor tweaks.

Comment

Working...
                                X