2018-19 Trade Rumours and Discussion - Deadline February 7th 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post
    What if the Knicks get lucky, acquiring Zion and signing two bigtime FAs? I actually wanted them to succeed. They are due.
    If you are a Raptor fan, you are by default, a huge Knicks hater.
    Give your head a shake.

Comment

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/reports...061259457.html

So from what I understood, Pels also wanted cap relief.

That said, JV has a player option for the 19-20 season, does that make him a valuable asset now? (17 mil).
      Danny Green could be though...

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
        Lakers really aren't that serious about trading for Davis are they?

As the NBA trade deadline approaches on Thursday, Lakers have yet to offer multiple first-round picks in any deal, or salary cap relief, league sources tell ESPN. Lakers offering several different deal ideas, but none serious enough for a Pelicans counter yet, sources said. https://t.co/6H9ynauljJ

— Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn) February 2, 2019
        There's two ways to look at the Lakers offer. On the one hand, they are AD's preferred long-term destination, which would mitigate the mortgaging of their future a bit.They could offer the "multiple picks" in theory, knowing AD would stay. On the other hand, precisely because they know he wants to come there anyway, that makes it less of an incentive to sell their future like this.

It all depends on how soon they'd want him, and how risky they think he may stick around with the team he's going to now. Tough to say for them, but if you're any of the other 28 teams, I don't think you necessarily jump the gun with the "here's multiple draft picks"

He's still a rental. A 1.5yr instead of 1, but still. Kawhi, Butler and Paul George were on a different but somewhat analogous situation, and the trade was in the framework of one higher-end player, one prospect an one pick.

The way the media is putting this out there it's like it's gotta be 3 or 4 young studs, plus a quality vet, plus "multiple picks" just to get it started. That's crazy. You're not get that for a rental, even if it's Anthony Davis, unless maybe there are a few players from the Pels coming in too, in which case you'd be just transforming your team into the new Pelicans. I think what we'll end up seeing is something a lot more reasonable, especially if it happens in the summer instead of now.

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post
          There's two ways to look at the Lakers offer. On the one hand, they are AD's preferred long-term destination, which would mitigate the mortgaging of their future a bit.They could offer the "multiple picks" in theory, knowing AD would stay. On the other hand, precisely because they know he wants to come there anyway, that makes it less of an incentive to sell their future like this.

It all depends on how soon they'd want him, and how risky they think he may stick around with the team he's going to now. Tough to say for them, but if you're any of the other 28 teams, I don't think you necessarily jump the gun with the "here's multiple draft picks"

He's still a rental. A 1.5yr instead of 1, but still. Kawhi, Butler and Paul George were on a different but somewhat analogous situation, and the trade was in the framework of one higher-end player, one prospect an one pick.

The way the media is putting this out there it's like it's gotta be 3 or 4 young studs, plus a quality vet, plus "multiple picks" just to get it started. That's crazy. You're not get that for a rental, even if it's Anthony Davis, unless maybe there are a few players from the Pels coming in too, in which case you'd be just transforming your team into the new Pelicans. I think what we'll end up seeing is something a lot more reasonable, especially if it happens in the summer instead of now.
          It's pretty clear that Rich Paul went public with the trade demand to try to ensure that AD was traded to the Lakers, ideally with enough cap space to sign a third star like a Kyrie Irving or a Kevin Durant; Lebron and a second star make the recruitment of a third star much easier than Lebron and a bunch of young still-developing players do. (The Lakers offers so far, as per what is being reported, are consistent with that.)

It's also pretty clear that, given that the Celtics have wanted AD for some time, that a much better option for trading AD for the Pelicans is to trade AD to the Celtics for multiple picks and better young talent than the Lakers can offer. This is also likely a big part of the Rich Paul trade demand: if the Lakers can't get AD before the summer, they likely lose him to Boston, given that Boston can give the Pelicans a much more rebuilding-friendly package at that point than LA can. (This is where some of those 1-year contracts LA has signed it's reclamation-project players to may potentially work against them.)

The Lakers pressuring the Pelicans has backfired. The Pelicans look at this as the Lakers trying to get AD at below market value (and rightly so, in my opinion), and as a large market team trying to put the screws on a small market team, possibly with the tacit approval of the league itself. Because of this, the Pelicans are going to absolutely insist that any deal they consider making with the Lakers has a clear and well-defined benefit for them. Just because LA is trying to make AD into a distressed asset doesn't mean that the Pelicans are going to treat him like one.

In other words:

* New Orleans does not want to deal AD to the Lakers unless it's a real sweetheart deal for them.
          * New Orleans will be benchmarking any offers against what it believes the Celtics will offer in the summer - or even what the Celtics have told them they will offer in the summer.
          * It may be possible for a non-LA and non-Boston team to swing a trade for AD provided that that team is able to offer assets which are comparable to Boston's presumed offer.

There are other factors to consider here, but here's perhaps the most interesting one: Does Kyrie agree to go to the Knicks with KD and reduce the ability or interest for Boston to trade for AD in the offseason? There are lots of interesting rumblings about Kyrie's discontent in Boston (though, admittedly, many of them are emanting the Knicks and the NYC press). There are still a lot of different directions this could go... if AD is traded before the deadline, a lot of time for teams to try and get an offer in place which is not only good enough to get a deal done, but better than other available offers out there. I don't see a trade being finalized until deadline day if it happens.

Comment

• An interesting thought would be the idea of BOS pursuing AD despite Irvings departure (if he leaves, i'm convinced he is). The celts did make the ECF without kyrie, hayward or AD of course. So maybe they think they have a shot at resigning him and throw a package of hayward, brown, ojeleye and a 1st rounder or two.

Horford, Davis, Tatum, Smart and rozier is a very solid starting unit. The Pels would have Holiday, brown, hayward, randle, and would need to pick up a C. Maybe they could sign deandre? Again, pretty solid unit with moore, mirotic and maybe a revitilized Okafor coming off the bench.

Comment

What if the Knicks get lucky, acquiring Zion and signing two bigtime FAs? I actually wanted them to succeed. They are due.
              If you're aren't on the forces of evil, then you want James Dolan to continue to suffer and have everyone hate him...

Comment

• JawsGT wrote: View Post
                An interesting thought would be the idea of BOS pursuing AD despite Irvings departure (if he leaves, i'm convinced he is). The celts did make the ECF without kyrie, hayward or AD of course. So maybe they think they have a shot at resigning him and throw a package of hayward, brown, ojeleye and a 1st rounder or two.

Horford, Davis, Tatum, Smart and rozier is a very solid starting unit. The Pels would have Holiday, brown, hayward, randle, and would need to pick up a C. Maybe they could sign deandre? Again, pretty solid unit with moore, mirotic and maybe a revitilized Okafor coming off the bench.
                Thats worst then the Lakers offer. If I'm the Pelicans, I ask for Tatum or tell the Celtics to GTFO. Also Davis' father has convinced everyone that AD won't resign with Cs.

Comment

• I think Boston will try to get AD regardless if Kyrie stays or not. But I think the package they offer to the Pels would will be different depending on if they have Kyire or not:

If Irving stays, then they can be really throw he farm at them because you'd have Irving + AD and the rest would fall in place

If Irving is walking though , then you gotta think twice before gutting your team with a motherload offer becasue you'd be left with AD + weaker players which is precisely the position the Pels have been over the years and it got them nowhere

So best case scenario for the Raps here is Irving walking in the summer (which would be awesome regardless), because in theory it would dampen Bostons offer.

Comment

• Kyrie + KD + Zion to the Knicks is realistic. But them winning 0 championships is also realistic.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post
                      Magic so far really hasn’t done a good job as GM, Lebron fell into his lap, he struck out on PG and Kawhi, and now is offering the same crappy deals for AD.
                      Magic's been fine as GM. He's not on Ainge's or Masai's level, but he's doing fine.

Remember, when he came in the Lakers had literally nothing left, had tons of dead salary and were even short draft picks. He's drafted correctly: Ingram and Lonzo were consensus picks for the Lakers' position and although neither has developed into a superstar yet, the potential is still there for at least Lonzo and Ingram will at minimum be a career starter, plus Kuzma, Hart and Zubac were all late-round draft gold. He missed on PG, but the only reason anybody would blame him for that would be Lakers exceptionalism, which is bullshit: they had literally nothing when they tried to sign him and weren't an attractive play.

The only real criticism of Magic is that he's been conservative with the small trove of assets he's built up because he's still a bit of a Lakers exceptionalist and feels he shouldn't make bigger offers because it's the Lakers, stars sign there eventually anyway. And historically he's not wrong. And if you think LeBron "fell into his lap" rather than that being a lengthy, careful campaign to encourage LeBron to come west so he can develop his post-career business empire, you're severely underrating Magic.

Comment

• Knicks have to buyout or trade Jordan and Mathews to keep tanking, but it sounds like they want them around, because they're a stupid franchise that will end up with the 7th overall pick or something like.

Comment

• http://sports.yahoo.com/suddenly-doe...031526101.html

As a result, general managers all over North America are licking their chops at the opportunity to bolster their roster with a player of his calibre.

According to Kevin O’Connor of the Ringer, one of those general managers is Masai Ujiri of the Toronto Raptors.
                          96 hours more, hurry up Masai

Comment

• Just stay away from ANY of the ESPN/ SAS vids online right now. It's painful how much they try to influence whats happening, and how people let them.

Comment

• So I guess we can count out Rodney Hood...

Comment

• Beneperez wrote: View Post
                                So I guess we can count out Rodney Hood...
                                staskus went the other way he could be a decent get if cavs buy him out
                                To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

Working...
                                X